Breaking Reliance and Disney merger approved by CCI

• Thread starter Thread starter rajrocks
  • Start date Start date
  • Featured
  • Replies Replies: Replies 418
  • Views Views: Views 50,851
I never claimed JioCinema is a premium service targeting affluent consumers. Their biggest advantage is AVoD service.

So why would I need to defend their bundle deals?

Half of you didn't get why there is an internal discussion to shun the Hotstar brand. JioCinema's plan is to reach the widest audience possible. Subscription plan that includes HBO, Paramount and Peacock is just an added bonus.

JioCinema is a trashy app. Yes, that's why people keep using it.

Stay delusional in Disneyland.
What about Hotstar?? Isnt it also built on an AVoD + SVoD model?? Dont all other indian OTT platforms follow the same strategy?? What exactly are you trying to prove with this bundled subscriber nonsense about Hotstar??
You claim JioCinema’s advantage is AVoD, but even in that area, Hotstar leads with the highest ad revenues, so the joke is on you.

You say half of us dont understand but what about you?? Do you even comprehend why people prefer Hotstar over JioCinema?? The discussion was about how Hotstar is superior to JioCinema, but instead, you start talking about Ambani’s expansion plans for JioCinema and other irrelevant nonsense. Of course, Ambani will push his own OTT service, but the reality is Hotstar outperforms JioCinema on every level. What Ambani does or doesnt do is a separate matter. The main issue is why people are dissatisfied with JioCinema, so stop trying to divert the topic.

People only use that trashy app for IPL without IPL, no one would even bother with it.

Keep living in your Viacom18 fantasy land. Oh wait, hasnt STAR already eaten Viacom18?? Keep burning, i guess.

There is a Ken article which reported 80% of subscribers were through bundle deals. This was when they had 57 million subscribers.

We will know the latest numbers if Disney releases Hotstar revenue seperately.

Everyone will agree even inside Viacom18's office that DPHS > JioCinema but that's not the target audience they're going for.

That is why they will go with JioCinema brand name.
Alright, show me the article and the specific line where what you are claiming is mentioned. Then we can talk.

Hotstar operates on SVoD + AVoD model, just like JioCinema, and they were probably the first to introduce this approach for Indian OTT platforms. So, i dont see any issue with them having bundled users. Before you bring up your ARPU argument, let me remind you that the whole discussion began with how Hotstar is better than JioCinema in every way, whether its UI/UX, user experience, app layout, or anything else. People clearly prefer Hotstar, so arguments about losses from bundled users are irrelevant. The main point is which app is better, and its clearly Hotstar. Your argument falls apart there.

As for with which name they will go ahead, we will find out once they merge the apps. Until then, hold on to that statement.

--Quoted posts deleted--
Oh mate, this whole thread was created for discussions, arguments, and debates related to the RIL-Disney merger. Naturally, people will give suggestions, criticize one service or another etc, based on their knowledge. Thats the whole point of this thread.
When you watch a movie or show and then go to discuss, praise, or criticize it in various forums, the purpose of those forums is to discuss aspects related to the movie or show. Some people will criticize and some will praise but you cant tell critics to just go and make a movie themselves, because thats not their job.

So, your comment about RIL needs to hire a DDF member, handover the power of attorney and similar nonsense doesnt make sense at all. This thread wasnt created for ambani but for discussing and debating various aspects of the RIL-Disney merger. These types of discussions are exactly whats expected here. So, keep your valuable insights to yourself, as thats not the purpose of this thread.

Last edited by a moderator:
I THINK AT LEAST STAR PRAVAH : MARATHI CHANNEL WILL NOT BE SHUTING DOWN BECAUSE IT IS IN TOP 10 LIST AND IT IS MAHARASHTRA'S NO.1 CHANNEL...
THIS IS VERY BIG HIGH CHANCES
No way ..they don't shutdown both colors marathi and star pravah ...shutdown of star pravah may leads zee marathi to become no 1

Vivek Srivastava appointed as EVP and Business Head - Jio Cinema Hindi Entertainment .
He will be directly reporting to Kiran Mani , Head of Viacom18 Digital ventures.

This is the first major position announced post approval of Disney star viacom18 merger.

10 Star sports channels (includes regional) can cater all events in coming days ;)
Yes currently SS channels are self sufficient, but if Mota bhai comes into SS then he will do the same with Sporting properties of Star. He will give priority to the combined OTT and then it will be the same as Olympics coverage on Sports18.

Back
Top Bottom