Satellite Television in the mid-1990s ... A nostalgic journey

• Thread starter Vinay
  • Start date
  • Replies: Replies 10
  • Views: Views 3,066

Vinay

Reaction score
Dear friends,
Today we have numerous channels and seven direct-to-home (dth) operators. But not many of us know how the situation was in the early and mid-1990s

I grew up during the time when we used to record and watch shows on VCRs having cassettes with VHS tape. Now we have DVRs and no more struggling with cassette tapes like those chewed out by the VCR :p

DD1 was the channel of the masses. Mythological shows in the morning and a Hindi feature film in the evening was enough to keep people at home and off the streets.
And in metro cities we had DD Metro which used to run for part of the day in the evenings. Giant Robot, Superhit Muqabla, Junoon were introduced to compete with satellite channels that had just started.

So now back to 1991. Newspapers full of reports on the Gulf war. With that CNN started beaming in India. Slowly satellite television was picking up popularity and more channels from STAR (Satellite Television Asian Region) were in India. English soaps like Santa Barbara, The Bold and the Beautiful, Perfect Scoundrels were gaining viewers who were starved of English content on television.

I clearly remember the channels we received from our analog satellite receivers and a big huge dish put on the terrace. They were Star TV (later renamed as Star Plus with English serials and shows), BBC, MTV, Prime Sports and ATN Gold (part-time Hindi films and songs channel).

Popular FTA Analog Satellite Television channels in the mid-1990s

osPTK.jpg
5qL2Y.jpg
xKcYc.jpg
6PLUz.jpg
IKRcg.jpg
jMjnQ.jpg
xPKhr.jpg
AxRJa.jpg
b55yx.jpg
02gXV.jpg
QI7G2.jpg

One day in October 1992 we got the news in Mid-Day newspaper that the owner of Esselworld, an amusement park some distance away from my house had started a Hindi entertainment channel called "Zee TV". I used to finish my school homework early and wait for Zee TV to begin in the evening. Commander, Campus , Banegi Apni Baat, and gameshows Tol Mol Ke Bol, Saanp Seedi (Snakes-n-Ladders) were my favourite.

My father says in those days there were no resources like the Internet or sites like Lyngsat or forums.
All the adjustment had to be done by trained technicians who were really difficult to find. The Analog transmission needed entire transponder per channel.
Now he laughs at how the situation has changed today with dishes being a part of many households, modifying the skyline :)

Good summary,yes satellite,internet,fast evolving computer technology has changed our lives.

true brother when i was small in our area cable started with 3 channel ,one of which was local channel which shows movies at 9 pm daily, other one was zee tv and a sport channel

Ya ... Zee tv use to start at around 7 pm first :)
But MTV content was good and channel V in 1990's was also good, they were playing English songs throughout the day. It was Channel V Asia then, broadcasting from Hongkong with good VJ's and good shows, when indian stuff started, it was more crap than serious music and i lost interest in channel V.. :)

good work Vinay bhai, i remeber in 1997 when all channel goes paid, Zee tv , EL Tv , Star sports & sony my fav channels of that time. I was in 5th when Zee Tv launch.

gssran said:
good work Vinay bhai, i remeber in 1997 when all channel goes paid, Zee tv , EL Tv , Star sports & sony my fav channels of that time. I was in 5th when Zee Tv launch.

Hi Gssran bhai,

I was in fourth standard that time when Zee TV was launched. I still remember those days like as if it all happened yesterday :)

Kal ki baat lagti hai yaar, kitne achhe channels aur programmes thhe. No Saas-bahu serial and no naqli TRP :p

you are right Vinay, those are golden days, my father buy a big dish & we have to wait 1 month for technician to come & install the dish, that time sony at other direction & zee other side, my father change the direction every day to watch sony channel.

I had a small 14" TV during 1991-1992, used to watch Star TV in the morning and Zee in the evening. Even in 1988-90 I used to watch "Roopavahini" a Srilankan TV which was showing Tamil songs.

great Vinay i love EL Tv logo, that time they show good movies, my father loves that channel.

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock