Star India in flux as disney gains ground

I like the Fox Style..! Star India was smarter under Uday Shankar(though there were some negatives). I don't think Disney will sell Star. If so they could have been exclude Star during the aquisition of Fox assets. But I think Star will be a slowly running company in broadcasting(In short like SET). Both Sony and Star started their journey in India same time, While Sony stuck with Hindi and English, Star spread all over India. All of it because of the Fox style approach. In case of Disney, they acquired UTV which is one of the top production company in India then, retarded growth. Under Disney no improvement happened for it...just running, thats all.
If Fox has the same mentality, then there will not be Fox Star studios, no acquisition of Asianet, Maa, Vijay etc.
Anyway Star already achieved most of the things they can. So hope atleast Disney run the network fairly, retaining the current state.
CORRECTION: Star entered Indian Market in 1991 but they set their office in india when rupert Murdoch buyed the company in 1993
YyjXG2v.jpg

Sony entered later 🙃

Last edited:
CORRECTION: Star entered Indian Market in 1991 but they set their office in india when rupert Murdoch buyed the company in 1993
YyjXG2v.jpg

Sony entered later 🙃
which book is this?

YyjXG2v.jpg

Sony entered later 🙃
Okay. There is difference of 2 or 3 years which is negligible now.

Okay. There is difference of 2 or 3 years which is negligible now.
Star TV Network (Satellite Television Asian Region) was founded in 1991 which is Asia's First Pan Broadcaster & StarPlus being First Private Channel which was launched on 21 February 1991. (Before 2000 StarPlus was an english entertainment channel.) Zee TV launched on 2 October 1992 which was India's First Hindi Channel & coming to sony tv it was launched on November 21/1995

Last edited:
which book is this?
The Making of Star India by Vanita Kohli Khandekar.
This Book doesn't only tell the story about Star but also how it changed the industry. In 1991 there was no media market in india, there were only newspapers, DoorDarshan. Star Shown the potential of indian TV Market in the whole world. Only because of Star's success which was the only foreign broadcaster whose programming worked then only after many years sony,viacom,warner,disney came here.

The Making of Star India by Vanita Kohli Khandekar.
This Book doesn't only tell the story about Star but also how it changed the industry. In 1991 there was no media market in india, there were only newspapers, DoorDarshan. Star Shown the potential of indian TV Market in the whole world. Only because of Star's success which was the only foreign broadcaster whose programming worked then only after many years sony,viacom,warner,disney came here.
Read this book and loved it. Thorough insight into Star and how Uday Shankar transformed the company from the dismal Peter Mukherjea days into the biggest media company of India. There is a quote on the last page that is highly relevant here:

Late in 2018, Disney announced that Shankar would be chairman for Star and Disney India and president APAC, direct-to-consumer and international for The Walt Disney Company.

The next few steps, however, will be tough especially without the ‘double or quits’ mentality of the Murdochs backing Shankar and Star India. Star thrived first under a Chinese owner and then an Australian one. It will be intriguing to watch what it achieves under this very American one.

Read this book and loved it. Thorough insight into Star and how Uday Shankar transformed the company from the dismal Peter Mukherjea days into the biggest media company of India. There is a quote on the last page that is highly relevant here:
Thanks for supporting me! People need to understand What has Star done! Sony,Warner,Viacom has followed STAR FOOTPRINTS but none of them even touched the success that star got. Even Today Star continues to Rule, for those who wants Star to collapse, let me tell you something they didn't got success in 1 day. For 9 years (1991-1999) StarPlus didn't see the ray of success but then Star starts speaking hindi & rest is history.

Last edited:
Thanks for supporting me! People need to understand What has Star done! Sony,Warner,Viacom has followed STAR FOOTPRINTS but none of them even touched the success that star got. Even Today Star continues to Rule, for those who wants Star to collapse, let me tell you something they didn't got success in 1 day. For 8 years (1991-1999) StarPlus didn't see the ray of success but then Star starts speaking hindi & rest is history.

very well said bro totally agree with you on all the points (y)...that's why I feel Star has too stay Disney cant just finish Star brand specially in india.... and I really hope what ever steps they taking in coming time will only be betterment of Star and its viewers

very well said bro totally agree with you on all the points (y)...that's why I feel Star has too stay Disney cant just finish Star brand specially in india.... and I really hope what ever steps they taking in coming time will only be betterment of Star and its viewers
Yes Absolutely! That's the reason they choose the Star Brand for their service because we all know Star is a big brand in Asia, Even Bigger than the Parent Company.

@amansingh
Just Because star presents sports in not your favourite manner it's doesn't mean you will use such harsh words on India's largest broadcaster? How much you know about Star? Do you know how much struggled they have to achieved #1 position?
Have you seen how many markets star is dominant? Have you seen Hotstar? Which has given the access to watch HBO CONTENT,FX CONTENT,FOX CONTENT LEGALLY IN INDIA? you can't be that harsh! Seriously? Don't spread negativity for sake.
You won't say this when just 1 day before the match of your favorite Premier league club, Star will tell you to subscribe their OTT to watch that match! Or just 50 minutes before a match, they will say" Sorry. That match will not be broadcasted on TV. You can watch in in Hotstar" (Happened in 2018-19 season). Why exactly should i pay 22 per month, if i am going to pay for OTT again?! You don't know how hard it is for a football fan to watch a match in India. You have to subscribe to multiple channels each month to watch a match even if you follow just 1 club!No one told them to buy those rights. They can simply just give it up to other. But if you are buying the rights, then do telecast it properly!

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock