Suggestion : How to Get Dolby Digital Sound

Hello Guys, @ABCDEFGH , @ilikered, @Bapun Raz bro and other experts

I have a same issue out here and would like to continue on this thread itself.

I have the following:
Sony Bravia Android LED TV, model no KDL-W80D
Tata Sky HD
Philips DVD HT Model No: HTD3509/94 (1 HDMI out, and 1 Digital Audio IN, and coaxial in and RCA IN)

I have connected the following way:

TV <-----> TS HD STB via HDMI cable
TV <-----> Philips DVD HT via HDMI ARC ports

Now i have many issues:

1. The DVD HT is HDMI CEC (Easylink) hence when u connect via ARC, there is no audio from TV speakers and Audio comes only from HT. TV remote volume will also cause HT volume to change. I get Dolby 5.1 but the volume is very low as compared to SD channels. So when i change the channel from a HD channel having DD audio to a non DD HD channel or SD channel, then there is sudden increase of sound, i mean to say there is no uniformity

2. Secondly if i connect Digital Audio out (optic) from TS HD STB to HT, the audio is clearer, but again there in no uniformity in HD channels having DD audio and SD channels. SO changing channels i have to lower the volume down everytime i change the channel or else there will be a loud noise

3. Lastly if i connect Digital Audio out from LED TV to HT, here again no uniformity in volume and TV speakers dont work and volume only comes from HT. And in TV Settings, under Sound, there is Digital Audio out, which has 3 options, Auto 1, Auto 2 and PCM. If Audio Mapping in HT settings is tuned off, then i cannot select any option from Digital Audio out in TV settings and only PCM is available.

Pls tell me what should i do and how i can have same audio levels across channels and get 5.1 DD in the best way.

I will suggest few things by my experience, I also exprenced different volume level for DD and PCM.

1. Always use HDMI if your HT support.

2. Connect all your STB DVD ect.. to HT and then connect your HT HDMI out to TV HDMI ARC in.

3. Configure dinamic volume settings of your HT accordingly have same volume level for DD and PCM

I will suggest few things by my experience, I also exprenced different volume level for DD and PCM.

1. Always use HDMI if your HT support.

2. Connect all your STB DVD ect.. to HT and then connect your HT HDMI out to TV HDMI ARC in.

3. Configure dinamic volume settings of your HT accordingly have same volume level for DD and PCM

see my HT is with DVD. And it has one HDMI out (ARC) and one SPDIF IN. So I have connected TS STB via HDMI to TV, and then connected HT to another HDMI having ARC support for the DVD player to function. So I am getting Dolby Digital on HT via HDMI ARC, but I want to know if connecting STB to HT via SPDIF( digital audio IN ) will be any better, or will it give me same audio quality as HDMI ARC.?

Last edited:
see my HT is with DVD. And it has one HDMI out (ARC) and one SPDIF IN. So I have connected TS STB via HDMI to TV, and then connected HT to another HDMI having ARC support for the DVD player to function. So I am getting Dolby Digital on HT via HDMI ARC, but I want to know if connecting STB to HT via SPDIF( digital audio IN ) will be any better, or will it give me same audio quality as HDMI ARC.?

I got the setup , and your current configuration looks ok, don't change any HDMI connections.

Can you check your HT menu , is there any listings mode options are available , this function will allow , if through ARC you get PCM Audio , that will be converted to PLII ( pro logic sudo Dolby Digital).

This function will enable if through ARC , DD come your speaker out put will be DD, and PCM Audio come your speaker out put will be sudo DD.

So finally you can achieve equal sound level for DD And PCM.

Don't go for optical/spdif it has 5 channel, HDMI has higher channels DD+ , so spdif audio quality is less than HDMI.

Last edited:
I got the setup , and your current configuration looks ok, don't change any HDMI connections.

Can you check your HT menu , is there any listings mode options are available , this function will allow , if through ARC you get PCM Audio , that will be converted to PLII ( pro logic sudo Dolby Digital).

This function will enable if through ARC , DD come your speaker out put will be DD, and PCM Audio come your speaker out put will be sudo DD.

So finally you can achieve equal sound level for DD And PCM.

In my HT there are options under Audio:

HDMI Audio - On/Off
Audio Sync - Delay time
Speaker Setup - Speaker Volume/Speaker Delay
Sound Mode - Original/Gaming/Music/News/Movie
Treble/Bass -
Night Mode

HDMI Options have the following:

easylink setup

Easylink - on
1 touch play- on
i touch standby- on
system audio control- on
Audio Mapping - Optical In/Aux in/ HDMI ARC/Coaxial In

In my HT there are options under Audio:

HDMI Audio - On/Off
Audio Sync - Delay time
Speaker Setup - Speaker Volume/Speaker Delay
Sound Mode - Original/Gaming/Music/News/Movie
Treble/Bass -
Night Mode

It looks your HT don't have Prologic DD options.

In both HT and TV speake/audio options do you have any auto gain control .

Can you please share your HT model.

HDMI Options have the following:

easylink setup

Easylink - on
1 touch play- on
i touch standby- on
system audio control- on
Audio Mapping - Optical In/Aux in/ HDMI ARC/Coaxial In

In above is system audio control on?

In above is system audio control on?

Yes, its ON. When its ON , TV and HT volume are combined. I mean no audio in TV speakers, all Audio is now in HT. And changing volume on TV remote will increase HT volume.

If this is setting is Kept OFF, then both HT and TV will be independent, and volume will come on TV speakers only... and ARC function will be disabled

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock