• Views: Views 206,972

Are you happy with TRAI's amendments to the Tariff Order

• Yes

• No

• I don't care

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
NCF is for that reason only. You point is valid only if NCF is made zero. Anyway i didn't ask to make price equal to SD. 2-3rs extra price is more than enough. If you could share bandwidth cost for SD and HD. What is ratio of bandwith cost to total cost of production. All these factors donot justify excessive high price. For NCF, HD=2 SD. You can't charge twice for same cause... Once for Ncf and other for channel price
Do broadcasters get any share of NCF charged? I think it goes to DPO only.
Even if the equation is changed to HD=6SD, do broadcasters benefit from it?

Anyway i didn't ask to make price equal to SD. 2-3rs extra price is more than enough. If you could share bandwidth cost for SD and HD. What is ratio of bandwith cost to total cost of production. All these factors donot justify excessive high price.
This has been answered in same comment. Transponders cost are born by whom? If you think broadcasters then by ur logic Network capacity fee is just DTH billing+employee cost?? What DPOs do?
Still if you emphasize pls share SD, HD transponder cost and total cost of production of any simulcast channel. eg colors. It wont justify more than 10-15% difference.

Why would broadcasters get the NCF in the first place? They own none of the transmission infrastructure.
They have to pay cable and DTH providers to carry their stuff.

Lets get into 2020 and not 2000 to champion 360p video quality in an age of high speed streaming. SD is a fossil now. The broadcasters are very late in upgrading to the latest tech.

They own none of the transmission infrastructure
This is not factually correct. Every TV channels is uplinked-downlinked twice before reaching our home.
1. TV channel broadcasters uplink different channel from earth to different satellites which they hire.
2. DPOs downlink from all satellites of different channels to earth at their hub
3. DPOs uplink all channels of their platform from their hub to their own satellite.
4. Finally we customers downlink from DPO's satellite to our dish/STB.
Somebody correct me if i am wrong.

Edit: 3,4 is not valid for MSO/cable operators. MSOs downlink and send to our home by cable 😋

Last edited:
This is not factually correct. Every TV channels is uplinked-downlinked twice before reaching our home.
1. TV channel broadcasters uplink different channel from earth to different satellites which they hire.
2. DPOs downlink from all satellites of different channels to earth at their hub
3. DPOs uplink all channels of their platform from their hub to their own satellite.
Yep thats absolutely correct. But NCF which consumers pay goes only to DPOs and has nothing to do with broadcasters.

Yep thats absolutely correct. But NCF which consumers pay goes only to DPOs and has nothing to do with broadcasters.
Broadcasters have content cost along with satellite transponder cost also.

But bro bandwidth cost is not that much. eg we pay 130 rs for 200 channels. It includes band width+all other expenses of DPO. So actual bandwidth cost per channel is much less than 1rs. generally transponder capacity is double for SD compared to HD. For HD, we consider max 1₹. So bandwidth cost donot make much difference to broadcaster as much it makes to DPOs(since each DPO carry large no of channels compared to individual broadcaster). So NCF goes to DPO. Hence, due to low ratio of bandwidth vs total cost for broadcaster, too much price difference between HD/SD not justified.

Well, yes.
They need to sell their product somehow.
Everyone must open shop to sell somewhere and it barely costs them much compared to the whole value chain.

Interesting. Got to know something from you. Can you explain me the difference between DPO and MSO?

difference between DPO and MSO?
DPO=Distribution platform operator. It distributes channels to our home. It includes all dth,mso,etc.
MSO=Multi System operator. So many small cable operators take channels from MSO. MSO can also directly provide channels to customer thus acting as cable operator..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock