Good News TRAI wins the tariff order case against Star in Supreme Court

• Thread starter Shubh
  • Start date
  • Replies: Replies 1,725
  • Views: Views 231,587
15% bouquet cap discount will bring real feeedom to exercise choice for subscribers, previously operators were buying channels in long term deals from broadcasters at huge discounts and giving to us combination of channels at certain price point. Right now broadcasters r forcing us to chose bouquet over standalone option by keeping prices of latter much inflated in most cases.

Overall we are able to view our favourite channels at more or less same price now too but in actual many other channels provided before in similar priced base packs have also been omitted which hardly matters.

Look at Tata Sky's erstwhile My99 base pack, it had all possible regional south indian channels which a north indian subscriber never watched and actually few relevant channels for him or her were part of it but now in almost similar price (My 99 had to be accompanied by mandatory add on) one can choose many good Free To Air channels

Overall we are able to view our favourite channels at more or less same price now too but in actual many other channels provided before in similar priced base packs have also been omitted which hardly matters.
Absolutely incorrect statement, especially for Airtel South viewers. I watch only HD channels and telugu channels. I need to shell out much higher price to watch the same channels in New regime, minimum 100 rupees higher.

Even if someone needs to watch only SD channels in Telugu or Tamil, earlier he/she had to pay 99+61=160 per month. Now it's almost 100 rupees extra to get the same channels. Remember these are all watched, not unnecessary.

I don't have any issue in supporting the order and believing in long term benefits. But let's not go too far and distort facts. Current implementation is bad and almost 90 percent of the customers will either end up paying higher charges or sacrifice channels just to save some money even if they want to watch those channels. Without 15 percent rule in place, Al-a-carte prices will never reduce and the whole point of bringing this new regime is defeated. Now it's broadcasters forcing bouquets on the customers instead of DPOs. And TRAI should wake up soon and implement the rules to reduce Al-a-carte prices. Hoping for the best.

15% bouquet cap discount will bring real feeedom to exercise choice for subscribers, previously operators were buying channels in long term deals from broadcasters at huge discounts and giving to us combination of channels at certain price point. Right now broadcasters r forcing us to chose bouquet over standalone option by keeping prices of latter much inflated in most cases.

Overall we are able to view our favorite channels at more or less same price now too but in actual many other channels provided before in similar priced base packs have also been omitted which hardly matters.

Look at Tata Sky's erstwhile My99 base pack, it had all possible regional south indian channels which a north indian subscriber never watched and actually few relevant channels for him or her were part of it but now in almost similar price (My 99 had to be accompanied by mandatory add on) one can choose many good Free To Air channels

how would that 15% discount bring any freedom? Earlier, we used to view all channels of my language (including 3 HD channels which are available) for Rs150 a month, with few more english HD channels, including sports & movies, thrown in on Airtel DTH. Even with just 2 of the 4 language bouquets added, its coming to 220rs as of now. Adding the other two + the previously available sports & movies channels, it shoots beyond Rs 300 to match the previously watched channels. Not to forget, the additional free regional topup that was giving access to additional channels of another language for us is not accounted in this Rs 300.

Last edited:
Absolutely incorrect statement, especially for Airtel South viewers. I watch only HD channels and telugu channels. I need to shell out much higher price to watch the same channels in New regime, minimum 100 rupees higher.

Even if someone needs to watch only SD channels in Telugu or Tamil, earlier he/she had to pay 99+61=160 per month. Now it's almost 100 rupees extra to get the same channels. Remember these are all watched, not unnecessary.

I don't have any issue in supporting the order and believing in long term benefits. But let's not go too far and distort facts. Current implementation is bad and almost 90 percent of the customers will either end up paying higher charges or sacrifice channels just to save some money even if they want to watch those channels. Without 15 percent rule in place, Al-a-carte prices will never reduce and the whole point of bringing this new regime is defeated. Now it's broadcasters forcing bouquets on the customers instead of DPOs. And TRAI should wake up soon and implement the rules to reduce Al-a-carte prices. Hoping for the best.

Brother, i am not distorting facts or blindly favouring new order. I had clearly said that more or less price remains same, for some total cost would have gone down while for majority others it may have remained same or increased a little. You misunderstood the real gist of my statement.

By the way bouquet prices will further go down in coming months, you can be rest assured about this. Coming to 15% bouquet disvount cap rule, it will also definitely be brought in again into execution very soon as initial chaos settles down.

Right now what is causing increase in bill for users like u is the fact that various broadcaster bouquet need to be selected to get access to our favourite channels, these broadcaster bouquet still contain many channels which we do not watch but are adding to additional NCF cost too. In previous regime u were getting all necessary channels at lower price than this simply bcoz operators were paying thousands of crores as advance long term deal payment to broadcasters , this assured money tempted broadcasters to charge minimal per subscriber cost from operators and ultimately operators enjoyed massive profit margin at a lower prevalent price point. Now with this assurance gone, broadcasters will fix bouquet rates based on subscriber demand and feedback, this is why i am in complete favour for these rules bcoz now real market forces will decide success of channels.

how would that 15% discount bring any freedom? Earlier, we used to view all channels of my language (including 3 HD channels which are available) for Rs150 a month, with few more english HD channels, including sports & movies, thrown in on Airtel DTH. Even with just 2 of the 4 language bouquets added, its coming to 220rs as of now. Adding the other two + the previously available sports & movies channels, it shoots beyond Rs 300 to match the previously watched channels. Not to forget, the additional free regional topup that was giving access to additional channels of another language for us is not accounted in this Rs 300.

15% bouquet discount cap will bring a-la-carte prices down so u would not have to chose bouquet like now hence saving on channel cost + NCF.

Coming to 2nd point of pricing of channels, as i have said it will come down in coming months but not surely at previous set level. It's like u r living in a society and decide to hire a bus service for regular transit in set route, transport operator would normally charge Rs. 100 per person per day for it but if u tell him that we are willing to enter a 3 year deal then his per person daily rental will substantially come down. This same thing happened between dth operators and broadcasters earlier but this safety net is not allowed now hence broadcasters will now price their product purely on subscriber feedback or demand.

When in coming months both the above factors properly come into play then cost for us will reduce and real benefit will start to be visible to common people

I am sensing something changes from traisoon
As customer bashing due to increasing prices to watch tv

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock