Good News TRAI wins the tariff order case against Star in Supreme Court

• Thread starter Shubh
  • Start date
  • Replies: Replies 1,725
  • Views: Views 231,927
According the FAQ document posted above TRAI admits that consumers will not get any concession on NCF (declared by distributors) if we take less than 100 channels.
35. What amount I have to pay, if I opt for only 2 Pay channels of my choice?
The price of a channel has two components MRP of channel declared by broadcaster and the cost of network for carriage of channel by distributors. Distributors of television channels can charge a monthly rental amount of maximum Rs. 130/-(excluding taxes) per month from a subscriber for subscribing a network capacity of 100 SD channels. In addition, they may charge price of pay channel, if any subscribed by the consumer. The Authority has, however, provided freedom to Distributors of television channels to fix the Distributor retail prices of a-la-carte pay channels for their customers by offering discount on the MRP of pay channels declared by the broadcasters. Distributor may also offer basic services below Rs. 130/-to its subscribers. Therefore, it would be better for a subscriber to opt for as many channels up that will cover the network capacity fee.

Also good to see multi-connection treated as a single connection in regulatory framework and any additional fee is left to distributors.

Last edited:
I have one primary and three secondary connections in TS. I pay Rs.429 for primary and Rs.150 for each secondary.

My query is just as all networks have made their channels paid even if it is cost0.50 paisa per channel. Like Star Utsav, Sony Wah, Aaj tak and many more. So will these channels be continued on DD Free Dish or not??

My query is just as all networks have made their channels paid even if it is cost0.50 paisa per channel. Like Star Utsav, Sony Wah, Aaj tak and many more. So will these channels be continued on DD Free Dish or not??
I think they will continue. As we can see in the case of Star Bharat which is a pay channel but it is still on freedish.

As per TRAI regulations, DPOs cannot break the broadcaster bouquet. But what would happen if the DPO does not carry all the channels in the bouquet? Will they offer discounts on the bouquet in that case?

The whole purpose of bringing new regulation was to give subscribers power to choose channels at affordable price and secondly not let broadcasters bundle popular + non popular channels.

Already bcoz of 15% cap rule not being implemented, broadcasters r forcing us to buy bouquet as a-la-carte price r still high, if as per ur reasoning even discounts r allowed then what was the need of bringing in this TRAI Order?

Do u mean that just to bring stanalone channel rates below Rs. 19 TRAI fought this battle? Brother previously too we were paying less in bouquet bcoz of discounts, incentives rolled out and TRAI clearly wanted this to stop as it encouraged unfair competition. Fixed deal process was banned bcoz of this itself. Now broadcasters can't charge different amount from any operator
What I've said is on the basis of new RIO agreements published by broadcasters.
Unfair competition existed because of fixed deal agreements, which didn't have transparency in pricing, now that every DPO would be required to sign the same agreement, it won't be unfair.
TRAI wanted transparency by bringing Uniformity, that would happen.
About Discounts from Broadcasters to DPO's, discounts won't be huge, DPO prices for bouquets and channels are also mentioned in the New RIO, which aren't far away from MRP

Master.jpg

Why extra 100 Ncf ?

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock