Discussion What are your expectations from TV industry for 2024?

Well the following are my expectations from TV Industry this year:

1. Launch of Digital Terrestrial TV and Radio service in India. Maybe create a separate company out from Prasar Bharati - which manages this, and we can have an alternate to Cable / DTH going forward. As this has immense potential.

I have already said that. Cable TV is slowly becoming obsolete. Many cable operators are now moving towards broadband services. DTT should have an immediate implementation.

My predictions for 2024 indian TV industry

Jan :
1. Zee likely to face court on disney ICC deal
2. Zee will surrender to Sony and merger will move on to final stage.
3. CCI will direct closure of some channels for Disney RIL deal

Feb:
1. CCI nods for RIL Disney merger.
2. Zee sony merge completion
3. New guidelines for OTT

March/April/May
1. Launch of sun hindi
2. Ndtv likely to launch regional news channels
3. Launch of R buisness
4. IPL on new service
5. Paramount WBD discussion enters primary stage

June- August
1.merge of jio cinema and hotstar
2. Zee sony to sign deal with korean broadcasters to get content for their app
3. R world launch
4. Shutdown of sports18

Sep-Nov :

1. Etv enters talk with dangal for merge or MOU
2. Sun tv to incur huge loss due to discounted ad market
3. Viacom18 studios to merge with star studios
4. Zee sony to launch mega streaming service

Dec:
1. Tv ad market falls very bad effecting zee and sun
2. Broadcasters to go against TRAI
3. Writers strike in India leads to distrupt in tv market.
4. Paramount announces spin off of CBS news and CBS from it

Expectation in 2024:

1. Broadcasters enters in Gujrati regional market especially GEC and come on DDFD.
2. Increasing Slots in DDFD.
3. Urdu GEC enters in DDFD like ARY Digital, HUM Tv, Geo Tv, etc because his GEC content are family watching drama and learn the love, respect, etc.
4. No need of four broadcast Re-Run GEC in DDFD. It was wasted time.
5. Informative channels enter in DDFD.
6. 2nd slot of Sansad Tv will replace with another private channels hence smart to use the slot in DDFD.
7. Atlist 2-4 channels of each regional are available in DDFD.

Expectation in 2024:

1. Broadcasters enters in Gujrati regional market especially GEC and come on DDFD.
2. Increasing Slots in DDFD.
3. Urdu GEC enters in DDFD like ARY Digital, HUM Tv, Geo Tv, etc because his GEC content are family watching drama and learn the love, respect, etc.
4. No need of four broadcast Re-Run GEC in DDFD. It was wasted time.
5. Informative channels enter in DDFD.
6. 2nd slot of Sansad Tv will replace with another private channels hence smart to use the slot in DDFD.
7. Atlist 2-4 channels of each regional are available in DDFD.
3. These channels are not going to come in India but their shows can come like Hum TV shows are telecasting on Manoranjan Prime now.
6. Sansad TV's second slot not going anywhere. One slot is for Rajya Sabha and the other for Lok Sabha.

Rest of the demands from DDFD are ok

As we have to pay channels _ those channel should not Post Advts which are irritating Too muchAdvts are there ina Channel | mean for pay Channels. No FTA '

On a serious note:
  1. NDTV to launch its new HD and regional channels and rebrand NDTV India (which we know) and NDTV 24x7 like it relaunched NDTV Profit.
  2. Zee and Sony merger must either complete or be cancelled. It cannot drag on eternally like Jet Airways under the Jalan Kalrock Consortium.
  3. Reliance and Disney Star merger seems to have a better chance of completing sooner than Zee and Sony. We have to see how many existing Viacom18 and Disney Star channels will be kept or axed. The CCI will have a role to play as Indian TV will be transforming into a duopoly if Zee and Sony goes through.
  4. If possible, the launch of more Odia, Assamese and Punjabi HD channels. I want PTC and Ortel to take satellite HD channels seriously and rebrand their channels if possible.
  1. Launch of HD Hindi and English news channels. I'm hoping that we all may see this happening in 2024.
  2. All the information of merging of different companies should be done in this year itself. Otherwise abort.
  3. Star Bharat to be closed permanently or replace it with Star One or Life OK. Instead of replacement, shutting down permanently will be a good choice.
For #1, I would also have been hoping for HD music channels, but no one is interested or else Times would have launched Zoom HD and 9X Media would have launched 9XM HD by now.
For #2, I have no idea why these mergers keep dragging on continuously. For #3, &TV needs to be closed for God’s sake.

Had the time to write only now as I have been travelling throughout Vietnam to end 2023!

1. Proper monetization of linear channels on digital. At the same time expecting to scale with the help of telecom companies what Cable companies did in the 2000s & 2010s

2. Aggressive crackdown of illegal links should be a priority.

3. A proper news channel is the need of the hour.

4. Distribution infrastructure needs to be upgraded to deliver sports in 50 or 60fps.

5. All pending mergers needs to be closed asap.

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock