Seeking Help What gives Tata Sky consent to keep tabs on what I watch?

Go to the new website, login ans then go to get help.

Scroll down below and u will get in the end of the page.
Went through both. Nowhere does it say that Tata Sky collects tv viewing data. They only collect user data which is our phone name, number, email, address etc.
I don't know whats wrong in collecting data ?

Collecting data will lead to transparency of TRP, etc.

Already it's used in developed nations.
It's exploiting someone's privacy.

Why should we care about transparent TRP?

Developed countries has adult channels. TV is for private viewing. Why don't Tata Sky provide adult channels then? I don't think it's illegal as we are privately viewing. Also Tata Sky only sells to someone 18 and above.

I don't know whats wrong in collecting data ?

Collecting data will lead to transparency of TRP, etc.

Already it's used in developed nations.
He meant of account ID and its mobile number connected to it.

He meant of account ID and its mobile number connected to it.
That's allowed and customer's knowingly gives consent as we can't buy a connection without a phone number. Meanwhile I couldn't find anywhere Tata Sky has particularly asked us that they can collect my viewing data.

That's allowed and customer's knowingly gives consent as we can't buy a connection without a phone number. Meanwhile I couldn't find anywhere Tata Sky has particularly asked us that they can collect my viewing data.
Does India has a law about data privacy act?

TRAI, the regulatory body says that the need for a credible, transparent and representative television audience measurement system is recognized world over for growth of TV industry. You will continue to see shutdown of channels like FYI TV18, AXN, etc. without such system.

Dish TV started deploying return path data (RPD) technology from 2018 itself. They share viewing patterns to marketing agencies and also to large corporate houses. As of now Tata Sky has not said that they will deploy RPD.

Before Dish TV, BARC themselves had partnered with cable operators like DEN to increase their sample size and share more accurate data to advertisers.

Dish TV to go for new tech to gather data on viewing patterns
TRAI CP

Last edited:
TRAI, the regulatory body says that the need for a credible, transparent and representative television audience measurement system is recognized world over for growth of TV industry. You will continue to see shutdown of channels like FYI TV18, AXN, etc. without such system.

Dish TV started deploying return path data (RPD) technology from 2018 itself. They share viewing patterns to marketing agencies and also to large corporate houses. As of now Tata Sky has not said that they will deploy RPD.

Before Dish TV, BARC themselves had partnered with cable operators like DEN to increase their sample size and share more accurate data to advertisers.

Dish TV to go for new tech to gather data on viewing patterns
TRAI CP
TRAI has given operators green flag to bypass user's consent?

Last edited:
TRAI has given operator's green flag to bypass user's consent?
Just like @Anish Pai bro said above I think they take consent at time of activating connection and TRAI doesn't loves privacy, they were planning to put tracking chips in STBs which was not implemented because of concerns raised by many operators like Tata Sky and ADTV.

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock