Discussion Why can't HD channels survive in India?

You should know that these FTA entertainment channels except for some regional ones offers re-runs of yesteryears of pay channels. Even if they are offer something fresh it's really low budget shows. All fta movie channels offers same library exception of B4U Kadak and Dhinchak. Only FTA channels customers enjoy watching are music and news channels.

And about pricing. A-la-carte is overpriced. Bouquets are very cheap. This is deliberately done. That's the discussion we are having. If a customer prefers movies and gec from Star Network. He or she would opted for Star Plus and Star Gold on a-la-carte basis leaving out rest of the channels creating uncertainty for smaller channels like Star Utsav Movies.

NTO was done to prevent shady under the table deals. Gone are days of negotiations and huge discounts.
Bro do you agree that the monthly budget for majority of pay platform users is 200/month?

If not, what do you think is the monthly budget for majority of pay platform users?

Let's assume that all low income people are using a free platform for which there is only one option currently, that is DD Free Dish.

Last edited:
Bro do you agree that the monthly budget for majority of pay platform users is 200/month?

If not, what do you think is the monthly budget for majority of pay platform users?

Let's assume that all low income people are using a free platform for which there is only one option currently, that is DD Free Dish.
People on average are paying somewhere from ₹270 to ₹450. Viewing patterns haven't changed for low and middle income household. Only posh high income users have left satellite tv and went for OTT only subscriptions.

People on average are paying somewhere from ₹270 to ₹450. Viewing patterns haven't changed for low and middle income household. Only posh high income users have left satellite tv and went for OTT only subscriptions.
I am not asking how much they are having to pay now.

Let's go back in time to before TRAI rule came into effect. How much were they (majority) capable of paying or willing to pay?

If I was a broadcaster, I would have done a research on this budget. Then I would have priced my channel accordingly. Since my channel is ad-supported, I would want maximum reach.

From what I have read on this forum, most members are complaining about cost being higher than 200.

I am not asking how much they are having to pay now.

Let's go back in time to before TRAI rule came into effect. How much were they (majority) capable of paying or willing to pay?

If I was a broadcaster, I would have done a research on this budget. Then I would have priced my channel accordingly. Since my channel is ad-supported, I would want maximum reach.

From what I have read on this forum, most members are complaining about cost being higher than 200.
If you cheat taxes. You can offer for ₹100 as well. Now it won't happen. That's why a law was made to prevent it.

You think these billionaire broadcasters made the pricing without research? That's some delusional thinking right there. Than again I didn't expect much from someone who were making useless claims of a 182 years old media company and parent company of most circulated newspaper of the country being scared of low youtube video viewers count.

Viewers complaining means nothing here. TV is luxury and it comes at a price. It's not some food or medicine that people must have it. Prices had never increased by much atleast in cable industry. From early days of cable to NTO. People have enjoyed cable for around ₹200 for decades. They should have expected it to double by the end of next decade atleast.

Last edited:
If you cheat taxes. You can offer for ₹100 as well. Now it won't happen. That's why a law was made to prevent it.

You think these billionaire broadcasters made the pricing without research? That's some delusional thinking right there. Than again I didn't expect much from someone who were making useless claims of a 182 years old media company and parent company of most circulated newspaper of the country being scared of low youtube video viewers count.

Viewers complaining means nothing here. TV is luxury and it comes at a price. It's not some food or medicine that people must have it. Prices had never increased by much atleast in cable industry. From early days of cable to NTO. People have enjoyed cable for around ₹200 for decades. They should have expected it to double by the end of next decade atleast.
Broadcasters may be billionaires. But if they don't have viewers, they will have to shut down channels. 2 popular English channels gone already, AXN and HBO. Keep watching as more broadcasters follow suit.

Less viewership means less advertising. Without advertisers, few channels can survive.

Broadcasters may be billionaires. But if they don't have viewers, they will have to shut down channels. 2 popular English channels gone already, AXN and HBO. Keep watching as more broadcasters follow suit.

Less viewership means less advertising. Without advertisers, few channels can survive.
OTT to be blamed here. There is no censorship on streaming services and content comes faster. AXN self destructed themselves by giving movies priority when movie channel already existed. They were constantly at #1 spot. After this they lost their market.

OTT to be blamed here. There is no censorship on streaming services and content comes faster. AXN self destructed themselves by giving movies priority when movie channel already existed. They were constantly at #1 spot. After this they lost their market.
They would have survived in a non-a-la-carte landscape. Remember that to get advertising, channel needs only to be in the subscription. Doesn't matter whether or not the viewer watches it. In a-la-carte landscape, it is being found that very few are even subscribing the channel, let alone watching it.

I am sure 75% people only want Star Plus, Zee TV, SET and Colors. Should they go for a-la-carte or bouquets containing the channels?

Also, majority Indians are willing to pay only 200 rupees per month for DTH/cable.

So 130+20+20+20+20 = 210 + tax.

So even if he takes just the top 4 channels only, his bill is going above 200 per month.
Totally agree with this
As
I also watch Star spots 1, Star Plus, ZeeTV n All of their other Movie Music News n Infotainment Channels on A-la-carte Basis....as I cant afford HD
bouquets of Star n Zee ..
I prefer to watch Zee tv Star plus on alacarte basis

My budget is 350rs per month...if i take HD bouquets of Zee n star then it will go over budget for me..

So just to watch Zee TV HD , Star plus HD n Star sports HD..i can't afford to buy Their overpriced n expensive HD bouquets..

Except these two GEC n Star sports 1 ..
for all other GECs Movie News n infotainment Channels
i m okay with SD version..as My family Mostly watch Zeetv Star plus Sab tv n Colors Gujarati only...

So buying expensive bouquets of Zee and Star for HD is just Useless n waste of money...

Instead its sensible n better to watch them on Alacarte basis to keep monthly Bill amount in our budget.
0yp1JYi.jpg

Aside from the price conscious consumer argument, another reason is that most viewers in India do not have large TVs. The difference in picture quality between SD and HD is more visible on larger TVs (65-inch and up), and especially on those that offer 4K UHD resolution. When you upscale SD content on such a TV, it looks very blurry and strains the eyes. In the west, broadcasters cater to this segment of viewers because more than a third of the population already uses 4K TVs. One thing you will notice in countries like the U.S., however, is that some HD channels will broadcast only in 720p (e.g., channels owned by Disney and Fox Corporation) and others only in 1080i (e.g., channels owned by AT&T, Comcast, ViacomCBS and Discovery), but none broadcast in 1080p.

myself spending ₹170 per month.

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock