Discussion Why can't HD channels survive in India?

The main reason for downfall is TRAIs pricing strategy. Before TRAI effect, I used to get 50+ HD channels for 350 to 400 Rs along with maximum SD channels. Though some of HD channels were Hindi, I used to watch sometimes if anything is interesting. But now due to pricing strategy, I only chose specific channels. Hence other viewers like me gets decreases and it had became a downfall for many channels...
Completely agree i also used to get around most of the HD channels just for 350 something on DishTV before this TRAI rule🤦🏻
Here we payed ₹200 for every SD and HD on GTPL Hathway before NTO.

Dividing audience by class is bizzare thinking. Seeing that most watched Star Utsav show is also re-runned on Star Plus and Star Plus HD. Whole thing about charging channels highest possible is to encourage viewers to buy bouquets. These underpriced channels are also not charity work. They are cleverly doing that to keep bouquet price low.
It's not bizarre thinking. Doesn't every business do it? Railways, airlines, car companies, mobile phone companies all make different products and services for different financial classes.

Bouquet economics is another subject. I don't think you can encourage anyone to buy a bouquet by making a item overpriced. Bouquets will sell more if customers want most items in the bouquet. Let's say if a bouquet has 10 items. Customer will go for the bouquet if he needs at least 7 items in the bouquet. If he needs only let's say 5 items, he will most likely go for a-la-carte.

It's not bizarre thinking. Doesn't every business do it? Railways, airlines, car companies, mobile phone companies all make different products and services for different financial classes.

Bouquet economics is another subject. I don't think you can encourage anyone to buy a bouquet by making a item overpriced. Bouquets will sell more if customers want most items in the bouquet. Let's say if a bouquet has 10 items. Customer will go for the bouquet if he needs at least 7 items in the bouquet. If he needs only let's say 5 items, he will most likely go for a-la-carte.
Not when it comes to entertainment. Most people prefer same content.

Second you are totally clueless about broadcast business in India. Things have changed since NTO. Just any cable or dth operator in this forum. 95% users goes for bouquets as A-la-carte is so heavily priced.

Not when it comes to entertainment. Most people prefer same content.

Second you are totally clueless about broadcast business in India. Things have changed since NTO. Just any cable or dth operator in this forum. 95% users goes for bouquets as A-la-carte is so heavily priced.
I am sure 75% people only want Star Plus, Zee TV, SET and Colors. Should they go for a-la-carte or bouquets containing the channels?

Also, majority Indians are willing to pay only 200 rupees per month for DTH/cable.

So 130+20+20+20+20 = 210 + tax.

So even if he takes just the top 4 channels only, his bill is going above 200 per month.

I am sure 75% people only want Star Plus, Zee TV, SET and Colors. Should they go for a-la-carte or bouquets containing the channels?

Also, majority Indians are willing to pay only 200 rupees per month for DTH/cable.

So 130+20+20+20+20 = 210 + tax.

So even if he takes just the top 4 channels only, his bill is going above 200 per month.
There are cable operators and dth dealers in this forum. Ask them what customers prefer. Only Jolly bro and you would own a satellite connection to subscribe to 4 channels. What happens to second GECs, movies, music, kids, news, infotainment etc? Forget these. The most watch content right now is sports. Tell me what kind of id*ot will pay for Star Plus and Star Sports on Alacarte basis for ₹19 each. When majority of Star Networks channels can be bought for ₹49 a month.

1. The price of 19 for most HD Channels is too much by broadcasters after TRAI rule
2. The average increase in package cost due to NCF after selection of al carte HD channels.
3. 1 HD=2 SD rule to have it in the selection if I am not wrong
4. Low income households I included , majority wanting it but cannot do anything due to affordability factor.
5. Have the selection of HD packs and Television to go for it increasing the price.
6. TRAI rules and Broadcasters unwillingness to have it in low price affecting their revenues.

Last edited:
There are cable operators and dth dealers in this forum. Ask them what customers prefer. Only Jolly bro and you would own a satellite connection to subscribe to 4 channels. What happens to second GECs, movies, music, kids, news, infotainment etc? Forget these. The most watch content right now is sports. Tell me what kind of id*ot will pay for Star Plus and Star Sports on Alacarte basis for ₹19 each. When majority of Star Networks channels can be bought for ₹49 a month.
Did you forget the 200+ fta channels one can get for 153/month? So customers who get satellite connection so that they can get max number of channels are already satisfied.

But before trai rule, most people could get the top gec channels for less than 200 a month.

Broadcasters should have priced these channels so that they could fit within the average per month budget of majority customers.

Did you forget the 200+ fta channels one can get for 153/month? So customers who get satellite connection so that they can get max number of channels are already satisfied.

But before trai rule, most people could get the top gec channels for less than 200 a month.

Broadcasters should have priced these channels so that they could fit within the average per month budget of majority customers.
You should know that these FTA entertainment channels except for some regional ones offers re-runs of yesteryears of pay channels. Even if they are offer something fresh it's really low budget shows. All fta movie channels offers same library exception of B4U Kadak and Dhinchak. Only FTA channels customers enjoy watching are music and news channels.

And about pricing. A-la-carte is overpriced. Bouquets are very cheap. This is deliberately done. That's the discussion we are having. If a customer prefers movies and gec from Star Network. He or she would opted for Star Plus and Star Gold on a-la-carte basis leaving out rest of the channels creating uncertainty for smaller channels like Star Utsav Movies.

NTO was done to prevent shady under the table deals. Gone are days of negotiations and huge discounts.

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock