Discussion Confusion clearing thread regarding TRAI rate changes effective 1st February

Status
Not open for further replies.
If that's the case, all the broadcasters and DPOs would have to shut the shops :smile:

TRAI issued Jan 10 press note, because many DPOs are NOT giving choice to the consumer to select channels. They themselves are creating packs for customers with only FTA channels in the base 130 NCF and asking the customers to take extra NCF slabs (20 per 25 channels) for any additional pay channels they want to watch apart from paying the pay channel MRP. Customers are being fooled, which is why TRAI clarified the rules.
But TRAI says any SD channel of your choice be it Free or Pay :)
The biggest objection is "Why we need to pay 130+18% for Channels we don't want to watch at all How many Free channels are watchable all know (leave DD) ?"
With 130+18% and options imposed by service provider as FREE channels of his choice not mine defeats the very purpose of this new regime ! Because TRAI tag line is "pay only for channels you chose"
And with ₹130 TRAI already have safeguarded service providers then gave consumers choice to select any 75 SD channels of his choice.
That's my understanding as a layman :)

But TRAI says any SD channel of your choice be it Free or Pay :)
The biggest objection is "Why we need to pay 130+18% for Channels we don't want to watch at all How many Free channels are watchable all know (leave DD) ?"
With 130+18% and options imposed by service provider as FREE channels of his choice not mine defeats the very purpose of this new regime ! Because TRAI tag line is "pay only for channels you chose"
And with ₹130 TRAI already have safeguarded service providers then gave consumers choice to select any 75 SD channels of his choice.
That's my understanding as a layman :)
You got it incorrect. NCF is like Telephone Bill (Quoting from TRAI Interview), i.e. whether or not you choose 100 channels, you must pay. There is no way you can avoid it. It's up to the DPO to give a discount on their plan. For example TACTV is charging an NCF of 120 per month and no additional NCF slabs for additional channels (More than 100).

So, If you choose Pay Channels in your choice of 100 channels, you must pay the MRP of those channels in addition to the NCF. NCF goes to the DPO and MRP goes to the broadcaster.

What TRAI had clarified yesterday was, service provider can't impose their choice of channels in the base pack. Consumer will have full choice. The amount consumer has to pay will be dependent on the channels he/she chooses.

Hope it's clear now.

You got it incorrect. NCF is like Telephone Bill (Quoting from TRAI Interview), i.e. whether or not you choose 100 channels, you must pay. There is no way you can avoid it. It's up to the DPO to give a discount on their plan. For example TACTV is charging an NCF of 120 per month and no additional NCF slabs for additional channels (More than 100).

So, If you choose Pay Channels in your choice of 100 channels, you must pay the MRP of those channels in addition to the NCF. NCF goes to the DPO and MRP goes to the broadcaster.

What TRAI had clarified yesterday was, service provider can't impose their choice of channels in the base pack. Consumer will have full choice. The amount consumer has to pay will be dependent on the channels he/she chooses.

Hope it's clear now.
Oh it means if if remove one Free channel (of Service providers choice but TRAI doesn't says so) how much amount i am saving to get a paid channel as replacement ?
Wonder how consumer have full choice then when he has to cough ₹153 for something he doesn't want at all and if removes something unwanted and adds something paid then pays more than ₹153 as difference ? Where is his choice ? Just (Forced) to select and pay more with compulsive junk ?
Then Jan10 TRAI press note is just waste nothing more.

Last edited:
Wonder how consumer have full choice when he has to cough ₹153 for something he doesn't want at all and if removes something unwanted and adds something paid then pays more than ₹153 as difference ? Where is his choice ? Just (Forced) to select and pay more with compulsive junk ?
Then Jan10 TRAI press note is just waste nothing more.
TRAI had set an upper limit of 153, and as usual everyone took advantage of it by setting that as their base NCF. TRAI should have known this and set it at 65+tax for 50 channels (DD should have been excluded from NCF). That would have been much better, as most customers will not watch more than 50 channels. TRAI's intention may not be bad, but the implementation from DPOs is filled with greed!

NCF/Service charge - 130rs+Tax (100 channels-25 DD channels compulsory)
If you select 100 free channels no need to pay any extra money.
if you select other than free channels you need to add those channels MRP to 130+TAX.
that is (130rs+TAX) + pay channels MRP.
for example - 25DD +50 free +25 pay channels(each 10rs)
then (130+Tax)+25*10 =approx 400 rs(with tax)

NCF/Service Charge -150rs+TAX (20 rs extra for additional 25 channels)
up to 125 channels.if you select 125 free channels no need to pay any extra money.
if you select pay channels you need to pay (150+tax) + those channels MRP.

NCF/Service charge - 130rs+Tax (100 channels-25 DD channels compulsory)
If you select 100 free channels no need to pay any extra money.
if you select other than free channels you need to add those channels MRP to 130+TAX.
that is (130rs+TAX) + pay channels MRP.
for example - 25DD +50 free +25 pay channels(each 10rs)
then (130+Tax)+25*10 =approx 400 rs(with tax)

NCF/Service Charge -150rs+TAX (20 rs extra for additional 25 channels)
up to 125 channels.if you select 125 free channels no need to pay any extra money.
if you select pay channels you need to pay (150+tax) + those channels MRP.
The Jan 10 order clearly uses word Within & then says "the network capacity fee of maximum Rs.130 I-. The desired channels could be in A-Ia-carte Free to Air channels or Pay channels or bouquet of pay channels or any combination thereof. The choice completely rests with the consumers."
Where it says Only 100 Free Channels ?

It is better to say that for Basic NCF (most DPO's quoting ₹130 excluding GST) you get 100 slots (1 SD channel takes 1 slot, 1 HD channel takes 2 slots) where in this 100 slots 25 slots mandatory for 25 SD Doordarshan channels and you are left with 75 slots which can be filled with FTA/Pay channels.

1. If you take only FTA channels no need pay anything over ₹130+18%GST.
2. If you take pay and FTA channels then you need to pay additional amount i.e. MRP of channels then you need to pay 130+ MRP of channels (eg. Star pack ₹49) and GST.
3. If you need more slots over basic 100 slots then you need to take additional 25 for ₹20.

This ₹130, 20 for slots are charged by DPO (DTH/Cable operators).
MRP of channels are charged by Channel Broadcasters (Like Star, Sun, Zee).

As per TRAI NCF can be less than 130₹

Last edited:
The Jan 10 order clearly uses word Within & then says "the network capacity fee of maximum Rs.130 I-. The desired channels could be in A-Ia-carte Free to Air channels or Pay channels or bouquet of pay channels or any combination thereof. The choice completely rests with the consumers."
instantly me only thought the same.but that is not correct one.
if we calculate according to that/what we understood initially,then calculation will be like this.
25 DD + 75 pay channels = 100 channels for 130+Tax
and 20rs more for additional 25 channels.
then 25DD+100 pay channels =125 channels for 150rs+Tax.

the process will go like this right.
then can anyone buy single Ale-carte channel for 15-20Rs?
if this is the process then we get channels in most cheapest price ever.

Within means -within the "network capacity fee"(130+GST) there can be 100 SD channels(25DD+75FTA/paid (in any combination)). You need to pay additional price+gst for each pay channel you pick

He's given 2 hypothetical scenarios. He's not wrong by any means. What he saying is the NCF can be used as you like. Free or pay depends on you. Incase you select pay channels you have to pay the Mrp of that particular channel or bouquet on top of NCF. There's no obligation to choose only free to air channels and he hasn't said that anywhere it's mandatory.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock