Discussion Confusion clearing thread regarding TRAI rate changes effective 1st February

Status
Not open for further replies.
This one is specific regarding Airtel.

In the Viacom Telegu value HD pack, there are 14 channels available for ₹31.86 including tax. In Airtel, it is showing only 10 channels for the same price. Isn't it illegal?

That's always been the case, except for DD channels. Customer is free to choose channels, who says otherwise?
TRAI says
5. Consumer has complete freedom to choose their desired 100 Standard Definition (SD) channels within the network capacity fee of maximum Rs.130 I-. The desired channels could be in A-Ia-carte Free to Air channels or Pay channels or bouquet of pay channels or any combination thereof. The choice completely rests with the consumers.
https://www.trai.gov.in/sites/default/files/PRNo0410012019.pdf
Please decipher clause 5 of TRAI press release. For common man's understanding it clearly says Within ₹130 and as you Select, Where it says above of ₹130 in case of Pay channels or FTA only ? As understood by some !

This one is specific regarding Airtel.

In the Viacom Telegu value HD pack, there are 14 channels available for ₹31.86 including tax. In Airtel, it is showing only 10 channels for the same price. Isn't it illegal?

Yeah, if they are not providing the broadcaster bouquets as is, it's illegal. You can tweet Airtel for this issue.

TRAI says
5. Consumer has complete freedom to choose their desired 100 Standard Definition (SD) channels within the network capacity fee of maximum Rs.130 I-. The desired channels could be in A-Ia-carte Free to Air channels or Pay channels or bouquet of pay channels or any combination thereof. The choice completely rests with the consumers.
Please decipher clause 5 of TRAI press release. For common man's understanding it clearly says Within ₹130 and as you Select, Where it says above of ₹130 in case of Pay channels or FTA only ? As understood by some !

Take the below example and tell me what you will be paying according to your understanding.

30 FTA channels, 12 Pay channels worth 10 rupees each.

TRAI says
on dishtv web map tool, if you can select 80 or less than 100 channels and select pay channels within the 100 channels slab then there are no extra charges of slabs except pay channel price will be added in Rs130+pay channel price i.e. Rs.19 + tax

Yeah, if they are not providing the broadcaster bouquets as is, it's illegal. You can tweet Airtel for this issue.

Take the below example and tell me what you will be paying according to your understanding.

as per my assessment it will be 130+10=140+tax

There are two interpretations
First as you are saying
Other even at TRAI FB page is that We can replace ANY of SD channels with ANY and create our own 100 Channels pack (25DD must) for ₹130+18%

Last edited:
There are two interpretations
First as you are saying
Other even at TRAI FB page is that We can replace ANY of SD channels with ANY and create our own 100 Channels pack (25DD must) for ₹130+18%
Please tell me the cost of the scenario I gave according to your second point.

Most of the forum members are still clueless about TRAI new regime after so much discussion. I wonder what will happen in rural areas . They are at mercy of cable operators who will milk them for money

Please tell me the cost of the scenario I gave according to your second point.

Irrespective of Pay or Free first 100 SD channels should come at ₹130+18% that's the simple understanding.
If not then why TRAI issued Jan10 press note coz whatever you said was already understood by all.

Last edited:
Irrespective of Pay or Free first 100 SD channels should come at ₹130+18% that's the simple understanding.
If then why TRAI issued Jan10 press note coz whatever you are saying was very much understood by all.
If that's the case, all the broadcasters and DPOs would have to shut the shops :smile:

TRAI issued Jan 10 press note, because many DPOs are NOT giving choice to the consumer to select channels. They themselves are creating packs for customers with only FTA channels in the base 130 NCF and asking the customers to take extra NCF slabs (20 per 25 channels) for any additional pay channels they want to watch apart from paying the pay channel MRP. Customers are being fooled, which is why TRAI clarified the rules.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock