IPL Media Rights 2023-2027

Who Will Acquire IPL Brodcast Rights For 2023-2027?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Yeah Viacom 18 market value and share very less compare to other Broadcasters, IPL Media Rights value is now 90% bigger than 3,000/6,000 Cr of Viacom market value, even parent company Reliance's telecom company Jio too nowadays silent not even showing advertisements on TV and IPL Live matches. Airtel/VI hitted hard them in telecom buisness too in last 4 months.

Viacom18 will give a best try to acquire IPL rights, there r other investors too coming aboard in viacom18 as per previous reports. Ultimately they r launching sports channels and laying out framework for entering sports biz in major way since last 1 year or so and IPL is key event whose rights they will surely try to acquire. All broadcasters know that it is a long term investment and profits generation takes time but IPL, BCCI r key drivers for getting more viewers to opt for sports chs. Not only that in an interview i read about Star/Disney president and Star Sports Head had clearly stated that subscriber growth is very important for disney+hotstar as it is major factor thru which market valuation/share value is derived these days and they will put in best efforts to retain IPL, ICC and BCCI rights.

Road will b tough for sony is what i feel

Cricbuzz understands that in the Invitation to Tender (ITT) provisions have been made for the winners of the TV rights to challenge the digital rights holders setting off one final round of e-bidding that will provide an opportunity for one party to acquire both TV and OTT rights. Similarly, the holders of digital rights can challenge the winners of Bundle C - a limited non-exclusive package.

If this challenges of controversy happen in auction, then final winner name knows only after judicial result.

April Fool Jokes???
Don't think so.

Few months ago, they were discussing whether or not to invest this heavily on sports rights.

Listen to this:
Source

They were losing premium content (TV Shows/Movies) to their competitors as they didn't have money to invest because of overpaid IPL rights. The business model didn't justify investing more on content. So if they lose IPL and invest those 3000Cr+ every year on content they will be able to grow organically like Amazon Prime Video.

subscriber growth is very important for disney+hotstar as it is major factor thru which market valuation/share value is derived these days and they will put in best efforts to retain IPL, ICC and BCCI rights.

Road will b tough for sony is what i feel
Yeah so Star will go all out to get the Digital rights but Sony will go all out to take the TV rights..

Yeah so Star will go all out to get the Digital rights but Sony will go all out to take the TV rights..
I doubt Star will just get Digital rights... In the current season hotstar is just earning mere 650-700 crores in ad revenue, without TV profits to offset the loss, they won't bother to invest that much..

That being said, Current valuation of digital rights only makes sense for the companies who don't bother about losses, and doesn't depend upon just OTT subscriptions. So, Amazon and Apple Tv+ if interested have a great opportunity to do so... Unlike, the mentioned players, Disney is wholly dependent on making profits from the investments. Its not just bragging rights... Let's see...

That is not right comparison. Remember viacom18 shares are held by only 2 entities. So either parties can sell their shares and raise investment
If this happens, then their Business itself create way to bankruptcy and trouble business to shutting down entire network in future.
As for the investment, they can very easily bring in external money from private equities or from their parent company. Uday Shankar & Lupa Systems is rumoured to announce the deal with Viacom18 in a few weeks. Let's see.
Viacom18 will give a best try to acquire IPL rights, there r other investors too coming aboard in viacom18 as per previous reports. Ultimately they r launching sports channels and laying out framework for entering sports biz in major way since last 1 year or so and IPL is key event whose rights they will surely try to acquire. All broadcasters know that it is a long term investment and profits generation takes time but IPL, BCCI r key drivers for getting more viewers to opt for sports chs. Not only that in an interview i read about Star/Disney president and Star Sports Head had clearly stated that subscriber growth is very important for disney+hotstar as it is major factor thru which market valuation/share value is derived these days and they will put in best efforts to retain IPL, ICC and BCCI rights.

Road will b tough for sony is what i fee
l
Max/Sony and Star sports well known old sports channels people won't forget, new sports channels not easy to get success in Pay TV Market. Everyone giving so much overhype because it's backed by Big businessman, Remember even Ishara/IN 10 media backed by Mahindra Group but Success rate very less like Viacom 18 in Pay TV Market, so it's doesn't matter who owns these channels Reliance or Mahindra Group.

Last edited:
All I need prime video won the digital right so that we can enjoy atleast good video quality along with No Break webcast.
Pretty sure, they won't do that... Subscription revenue won't get any ROI even if they won it at base price.. Otherwise, they will introduce a sports pack with high premium value and we have to bear what Advertising industry would be contributing..

This is not some two different countries playing each other, even Hotstar provides them ad-free..

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock