Merger of Simulcast SD & HD Channel Number

Reaction score
In Us, Most of the channels simulcast and have the same channel no for sd and hd. Even recently starhub asia have done this for thier dish channels.
Is it possible in india to happen soon. It could be more optimistic if it happens as there is no seperate subscription for hd and sd. I think tatasky hd access fee resembles this. May be in future all dth will implement HD access fee , as there wont be seperate sd and hd channels.

If this happens, will people forced to pay hd access fee or similar to that. If they dont pay can we watch sd feed.

Below is the details of SD and HD simulcast same number FAQ i found on starhub.com

Merger of Simulcast SD & HD Channel Number | TV Support | StarHub Support

Merger of Simulcast SD & HD Channel Number

1. What is the merger of simulcast SD & HD Channel number about?

To enhance the TV viewing experience of HD channels, all simulcast Standard Definition and High Definition channels will be merged into a common channel number.

For example:

SD Channels HD Channels New
Star World (Ch 501) Star World HD (Ch 555) Star World (Ch 501)
Star World HD (Ch 501)
ONE (Ch 823) ONE HD (Ch 876) ONE (Ch 823)
ONE HD (Ch 823)
Customers using HD enabled set-top boxes with High Definition subscription will automatically enjoy their favourite simulcast channels in HD quality using the respective Standard Definition channel number.

2. When will the merger of simulcast SD & HD Channel number happen?

With effect 16 Oct 2013 (0200 hrs), all simulcast Standard Definition and High Definition channel numbers will be merged into a common channel number

3. What do I watch when I tune to a simulcast Standard channel number?

Customers using: Set-top box Feed
Standard Definition Box
Digital set-top box
HubStation
Standard Definition Feed
High Definition Box without HD subscription
HD set-top box
HD Interactive set-top box
HubStation HD
Standard Definition Feed
High Definition Box with HD subscription High Definition Feed
4. Upon merger of channel numbers, what will happen when customers tune to the old High Definition channel number?

From 16 October, customers will be prompted a message to inform them about the change of channel number and will be redirected to the new channel number upon pressing <OK> button on the remote control.

5. How will I know if I am watching Standard Definition or High Definition content?

Customers can refer to the channel name on the info bar. There will also be a HD icon displayed on the info bar or info page.
6. What will happen to all my recordings that I have scheduled before 16 October?

There will not be any impact to customers scheduled recordings. Recording will take place according to customer's settings. However, from 16 Oct, customers can only record the respective feed that customer can view.

All previous recordings will continue to be available.
7. I am a subscriber of High Definition channels using HD enabled set-top box. Can I record my programmes in Standard Definition? If not, what are the alternatives?

With effect from 16 October, customers watching HD feed can only record their programmes in HD feed. Likewise for customers watching SD feed can only record in SD feed.

Customers with HD access only who wishes to record in Standard Definition because of capacity issues will not be able to do so. Customer can increase their recording capacity by either:
a. Remove old recordings to free up disk space.
b. Change to HD Interactive set-top box and subscribe to an external digital video storage device.
8. What will happen to all my auto tune settings that I have set before 16 October?

From 16 Oct, all auto tune settings on simulcast HD channel must be reset their settings. Settings done on simulcast SD channels will not be affected.
9. What will happen to all settings for parental lock that I have set before 16 October?

From 16 Oct, all parental lock settings on simulcast HD channel must be reset their settings. Settings done on simulcast SD channel numbers will automatically lock both the SD and HD channels.

10. I am a user of control 'live' TV for standard definition channels. Will I be able to do control 'live' TV for HD channels?

Yes, as per current, control 'live' TV will be available to all both standard definition and high definition channel

Features HubStation HD HubStation HubStation
Control 'live' TV Up to 2 hrs
(or up to 30 min
in HD) Up to 2 hrs Optional*
Up to 2 hrs (or up to
30 min in HD)

* Available with Digital Video Storage Device and Smart TV™ subscription at $4.28/month.

11. Why HD 5 and MediaCorp channel 5 are not included in the merger of channels?

In order to meet our regulatory obligation, MediaCorp channel 5 has to be made available to all customers including customers using HD enabled set-top box.

12. What will happen to my favourite channels after 16 October?

From 16 Oct, all favourites settings on simulcast HD channel must be reset their settings. Settings done on simulcast SD channels will not be affected.

13. What are the full list of simulcast Standard Definition and High Definition channels?

No. Channel Name Existing Channel No. Renumbered Channel No.
1 STAR Cricket HD 237 236
2 All Sports Network HD 256 215
3 Disney XD HD 360 310
4 History HD 455 401
5 H2 HD 456 402
6 Nat Geo Adventure HD 458 412
7 Nat Geo Wild HD 459 413
8 Crime & Investigation Network HD 463 403
9 The Biography Channel HD 464 404
10 Food Network Asia HD 468 433
11 STAR World HD 555 501
12 FX HD 556 507
13 FOX Crime HD 557 503
14 FOX HD 558 505
15 AXN HD 559 511
16 Universal Channel HD 560 512
17 Lifetime HD 561 514
18 Warner TV HD 562 515
19 Comedy Central Asia HD 563 516
20 Syfy HD 569 526
21 iConcert HD 583 538
22 HBO Signature HD 608 603
23 HBO Family HD 609 604
24 HBO HD 655 601
25 HBO Hits HD 658 605
26 FOX Movies Premium HD 662 622
27 FOX Family Movies HD 663 624
28 CinemaWorld HD 667 613
29 BBC World News HD 755 701
30 Sky News HD 757 703
31 CNN HD 760 711
32 channel M HD 874 824
33 KBS World HD 875 115
34 STAR Chinese Movies HD 877 866

If this happens then DTH may be able to earn more money for blocking SD variant. If SD is showing different then its of no use to many viewers. It seems this is not feasible in India for the next few years.

If there is different program on SD and HD then how do u watch if ch numbers are same ?

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock