Discussion Satellite rights of Hindi movies

• Thread starter Thread starter Joyanaranha
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies: Replies 25,061
  • Views Views: Views 4,355,037
Brahmachari (1968) renewed via NH Studioz by Disney-Star. Airing tonight during watershed hours on Star Utsav Movies. I think in coming we will see more retro bollywood movies being aired across disney-star hindi movie channels and possibly they will launch a new retro bollywood movie channel soon .

Brahmachari (1968) renewed via NH Studioz by Disney-Star. Airing tonight during watershed hours on Star Utsav Movies. I think in coming we will see more retro bollywood movies being aired across disney-star hindi movie channels and possibly they will launch a new retro bollywood movie channel soon .
I have seen Brahmachari ( 1968) few times on Star Gold MENA ( Middle East Feed) on July 2019

Also another retro movie is being shown Disney-Star - Bhumika: The Role (1968), Starring Smita Patil & Amol Palekar.

Kuttey Satellite Rights With Sony Max
o1CwJvk.png

Totally wrong. Have explained and discussed in length about major/huge difference between content strategy of Disney-Star and Zee as far as hindi movie channels is concerned so will not repeat the same again. More hindi movie channels from Disney-Star r much needed to air/accommodate their ever expanding vast bollywood + hollywood movie library. Zee just repeats handful of bollywood movies on a daily basis while Disney-Star air more number of /diverse range of bollywood as well as dubbed hollywood movies across its hindi movie channels. Disney-Star is the only network giving proper/adequate space to bollywood movies on all its hindi movie channels and it has lead to them building a highly successful hindi movie channels network.
You are totally wrong here. All broadcasters repeats same set of movies. Star Gold wouldn't air Kahani over Ready. Zee won't air Omerta over Dream Girl. Colors is little bit good here. They give priority to 90s movie at prime time because they almost all of SRK's movies.
I will not go into details about how content strategy of Disney-Star hindi movie channels translates into not only good ratings but large ad revenue for them as i have already explained / given insight how agencies/brands decide upon buying ad slots on various channels and there r various factors which lead to fixing a price point for them. Just being No. 1 in ratings does not necessarily mean that a channel will get more ad revenue as brands decide upon cost paid for ad slots depending upon age/economic demographic a channel reaches as well as if the target audience is watching that channel or not.
Why should viewers cares about ad revenue? And where did you got your data that Star Gold generates high ad revenue. IMO it comes to bouquet. If Star wasn't rating centric. We wouldn't have cricket on a movie channel. Star Gold along with Star Sports also has an advantage being from the biggest Hindi and some regional GECs in the country. It's available in almost all DPO packs.
Similarly except for big pan india films like KGF, RRR etc. most other dubbed south indian movies won't fetch high ad slot rates for hindi movie channels while brands will find buying ad slots for new bollywood films or even old ones to be more attractive option. Also i have already explained in detail as to why even to be economically viable hindi movie channels have to give more space to bollywood films , plz refer to this thread for better understanding of the same
How does FTA channels like Goldmines which depends on ad revenue to not only acquire rights but also pay carriage fees run?

You are totally wrong here. All broadcasters repeats same set of movies. Star Gold wouldn't air Kahani over Ready. Zee won't air Omerta over Dream Girl. Colors is little bit good here. They give priority to 90s movie at prime time because they almost all of SRK's movies.

Why should viewers cares about ad revenue? And where did you got your data that Star Gold generates high ad revenue. IMO it comes to bouquet. If Star wasn't rating centric. We wouldn't have cricket on a movie channel. Star Gold along with Star Sports also has an advantage being from the biggest Hindi and some regional GECs in the country. It's available in almost all DPO packs.

How does FTA channels like Goldmines which depends on ad revenue to not only acquire rights but also pay carriage fees run?

Disney-Star airs wide variety of bollywood films across its hindi movie channels. Ofcourse Kahaani won't air regularly one prime slots of their main hindi movie channels but same is aired on Star Gold Select alongwith many other such films on regular basis. On main channels too u would see popular old/new bollywood films airing more but their repetition is quite less and instead disney-star airs lot more other good bollywood movies unlike zee which repeats 30 odd bollywood movies too many times on a daily basis. Also many times offbeat / niche /critically acclaimed bollywood films r also aired on Star Gold/HD, UTV Movies.

If u are not willing to admit the vast difference in content strategy of disney-star and zee hindi movie channels then it is ur choice buddy bcos ground reality speaks for itself.

Ofcourse subscription revenue and ratings r very important . All i tried to state is that there r various dynamics/factirs which come into play when brands/agencies decide to buy ad slots on a channel and at price point they fetch. I have already explained it with examples for all to understand this point. Also an informed viewer or a person who has interest in media/broadcast industry would surely care for all things including what strategy is adopted by broadcasters and how they r successful or not in it... I made the point about disney-star hindi movie channels building a unique identity for itself which has over the years buold mass connect with bollywood / dubbed hollywood movie viewers and same has translated into very good revenue. Other rival networks have failed to do so and r involved in hyper competition in dubed south indian movie segment which ain't that beneficial . Please refer tp the tgread link i had posted above to understand why it is key/extremely essential for hindi movie channels to focus more on bollywood movies else there r high chances that such channels won't turn out financially that much viable, alienating bollywood movie audience is never the right approach. Disney-Star Hindi Movie Channels have well balanced their content line up with new as well as old bollywood movies + dubbed hollywood movies + few dubbed south indian movies...it is true that many new bollywood movies might not connect with mass audience but older bollywood movies do and have immense repeat as well as entertainment value. As disney-star has a very vast & loyal bollywood audience base hence they r able to leverage the best potential out of all films while as rival networks have alienated bollywood movie audience with more focus on dubbed south indian movies hence there r chances that even after spending lot of money for acquiring new or old bollywood movies the viewership may still not attain best possible levels for the same as bollywood audience pull will remain to be low.

Goldmines caters to mass audience in both rural as well as urban audience hence mere volume of viewership is extremely high which would help them command a ad slot price somewhat higher than usual. Remember it is Free To Air channel on both DD Free Dish as well as Pay TV Platforms so enjoys that advantage. So somewhat high price for ad slots, more number of ads and keeping dubbed movie acquisition cost in control helps them remains financially viable. Remember they have in house dubbing facility so it also helps curtail cost unlike a situation where a broadcaster buys rights of dubbed south indian movie from 3rd party which adds acquisition + dubbing cost + profit margin and then sells it to the concerned broadcaster. Initially Goldmines would have paid high carriage fee to make the channel available across private DTH / Cable TV Platforms but as channel becomes popular they get the advantage at hand/opportunity / chance to better negotiate carriage fee agreement at lower price with operators as both parties know that there is huge demand for the channel from viewers

Back
Top Bottom