Discussion Satellite rights of Hindi movies

• Thread starter Thread starter Joyanaranha
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies: Replies 25,061
  • Views Views: Views 4,354,906
I have some breaking news… Akshay Kumar & Emraan Hashmi’s Selfiee satellite rights with Disney Star

Name few such movies.

Because they are gonna air content they own. They recently only have started high profile South movies which makes me think they are experimenting. Also they didn't had the money in the past. All these years they spent most money on cricket. After Disney's acquisition they started acquiring big bollywood library. So they have a breath of fresh air. Before they had a terrible reputation of being an outdated movie channel. I remember a time when Singham aired every other day. Because they had nothing else good to offer. If this was Star backed by Fox. We would have Star Gold as before. I feel they are experimenting with everything now.

Zee charges ₹0.10 for a movie channel. Will Star do same? This kind of channels will always have low PQ.

I have already named many such different bollywood movies which r aired across Disney - Star Hindi Movie Channels so will not repeat the same. I can list out around 50 - 60 such movies instantly and if i go thru the list which i have stored in my mobile and mention it here there list will even be longer. Anyways point is if u really want proof i request u to kindly create a list of bollywood movies which r aired on disney-star and zee hindi movie channels in next 15 days and then we will compare and discuss who stands right. Create a separate thread for the same and i am up for the challenge. I am not commenting something randomly without any research or basis as u r alleging it to be.

Erstwhile Star India had lots of money but as u r also saying and i have said in the past that their hindi movie channels content strategy was very poor between 2015-2018, u r right in the era Singham and some other movies were continuously repeated and there were large number of dubbed south indian movies aired across their channels. I shared lots of feedback with them how to improve content strategy of their hindi movie channels and how renewing more older bollywood movies , airing will prove to be extremely succesful as suxh films have great repeat+ entertainment value and they took note of feedback and made many changes which made them achieve numero uno position in bollywood movies segment. I even shared feedback regarding adding more dubbed hollywood movies to their content line up and bcoz they value viewer feedback so much they even include more of these films in their library / schedule. I had put in lots of hardwork and time in preparing such feedback which including names of 100s of bollywood + dubbed hollywood movies , gave proper reasoning how these will connect perfectly with the audience and at what time different genre of films can be scheduled to attain best ratings and i am so thankful to their team who absorbed all the feedback and introduced all these changes in phased manner. This is why they stand apart from rivals, i even gave so much feedback to sony-zee hindi movie channels and their cluster head but sadly no changes were done, sony starting doing few changes only when their agreement with Goldmines reached abrupt end & they started losing dubbed south indian movies library but stillvas one can see they r acquiring such films from various other library companies or studios and giving them prominent space on their channels, they have improved a little as far as airing bollywood content is concerned but still there is lots of room for improvement....zee has not done any improvement rather it took a major step back when they made Zee Cinema HD programming a simulcast of its SD feed barring few exceptions...earlier it used to air mostly bollywood movies but then again due to their poor content/scheduling strategy it seems Zee Cinema HD failed to garner good ratings as they usually aired boring bollywood movies rather than interesting ones
I have shared feedback with all broadcasters on range of things not just content strategy but disney-star has always been the most receptive interms of taking note of the same ,,evaluating the same and incorporating the points in their future decisions / strategy

Zee charges Rs. 0.10 for only zee anmol cinema while Star Utsav Movies is priced at Rs. 1 and provides lot superior audio/video quality and great bollywood + dubbed hollywood movies content. Similarly Star Gold 2, UTV Movies, UTV Action r priced just Rs. 1 or 2 and provide very good audio / video quality as well as movie content...zee bollywood , zee action cost more or less same but provide repetitive bollywood movies content , infact zee action mostly airs low budget bollywood movies or dubbed south indian movies....and pictures costs Rs. 6 while Star Gold 2 costs Rs. 2 but Star Gold 2 offers far superior range of bollywood + dubbed hollywood movies compared to And Pictures. Similarly Star Gold has a lot better content strategy which focuses more on bollywood + dubbed hollywood movies while Zee Cinema is filled with dubbed South Indian Movies, Star Gold also costs less than Zee Cinema
Above all price has nothing to do with audio/video quality, as i have stated many FTA hindi movie channels having low ratings and minimal ads provide lot better audio/video quality than zee hindi movie channels.....zee can provide these channels in good audio/video quality but they have compressed both these things to save transmission / bandwidth cost...lower the size of data needed to be uplinked it will require less power/resources/bandwidth to transmit the same which saves money for the broadcaster and this is the most likely reason why zee has downgraded the audio / video quality of not only its hindi movie channels (barring zee cinema) and many other channels in other genres too

Last edited:
I have some breaking news… Akshay Kumar & Emraan Hashmi’s Selfiee satellite rights with Disney Star

old news buddy. When movie got announced that time itself we came to know that its satellite rights r with disney-star

Totally wrong. Have explained and discussed in length about major/huge difference between content strategy of Disney-Star and Zee as far as hindi movie channels is concerned so will not repeat the same again. More hindi movie channels from Disney-Star r much needed to air/accommodate their ever expanding vast bollywood + hollywood movie library. Zee just repeats handful of bollywood movies on a daily basis while Disney-Star air more number of /diverse range of bollywood as well as dubbed hollywood movies across its hindi movie channels. Disney-Star is the only network giving proper/adequate space to bollywood movies on all its hindi movie channels and it has lead to them building a highly successful hindi movie channels network.

I will not go into details about how content strategy of Disney-Star hindi movie channels translates into not only good ratings but large ad revenue for them as i have already explained / given insight how agencies/brands decide upon buying ad slots on various channels and there r various factors which lead to fixing a price point for them . Just being No. 1 in ratings does not necessarily mean that a channel will get more ad revenue as brands decide upon cost paid for ad slots depending upon age/economic demographic a channel reaches as well as if the target audience is watching that channel or not. Dubbed South Indian Movies might fetch higher viewership for some channels but if larger viewership is coming from south india then brand/advertiser will not been keen to buy ad slot at higher price for it as to cater to such audience it would rather prefer buying ad slot on a south indian channel where such viewer watches these movies in native language and also tunes into hindi movie channel for seeing dubbed version thus counted as a secondary viewing. Similarly except for big pan india films like KGF, RRR etc. most other dubbed south indian movies won't fetch high ad slot rates for hindi movie channels while brands will find buying ad slots for new bollywood films or even old ones to be more attractive option. Also i have already explained in detail as to why even to be economically viable hindi movie channels have to give more space to bollywood films , plz refer to this thread for better understanding of the same

Also wait until launch of Star Gold Romance, Star Gold Thrills before coming to any conclusion. Expecting even more channels / changes from Disney-Star in coming weeks/months
U say Hindi movies get great ratings on star network
Please see the top 10 Hindi movie premier ratings of 2022
Zee is doing much better there
Top TV Premieres of 2022: Akshay Kumar, Salman Khan & Kartik Aaryan take top three spot; Ranveer Singh at 5
And your biggest misconception is that dubbed South Indian movies finds its biggest audience from south India
Infact it is the Hindi heartland which watches these movies the most
South Indians still see the movies in their native language only

Last edited:
Never seen any names of movies across threads. But only random long posts which kind proves my point.

U say Hindi movies get great ratings on star network
Please see the top 10 Hindi movie premier ratings of 2022
Zee is doing much better there
Top TV Premieres of 2022: Akshay Kumar, Salman Khan & Kartik Aaryan take top three spot; Ranveer Singh at 5
And your biggest misconception is that dubbed South Indian movies finds its biggest audience from south India
Infact it is the Hindi heartland which watches these movies the most
South Indians still see the movies in their native language only

Do u think just top 10 movies contribute to overall ratings of a Hindi Movie Channel? It is the total ratings of all movies aired on a channel which decides its ratings and as i have said ratings is just one factor which decides upon whether a channel is successful or not. There r several other things which come into play which lead to channel garnering high revenue.

Also i did not said that dubbed south indian movies get more audience from south india....in some cases it is true while for rest it is not. I said that brands/agencies decide upon paying for ad slots based on the audience they r targeting vis a vis what a channel is able to cater to. Please read my previous posts again and then make a comment.

Never seen any names of movies across threads. But only random long posts which kind proves my point.

Dulaara (1994), Himmat (1996), Om Jai Jagadish, Mohabbat (1997), Shiva (1989), Jaan Tere Naam, Saaheb, Mr. Bechara, Raajkumar (1996), Safari (1999), Deewanapan, RHTDM, Dil Kya Kare, Chal Mere Bhai, Ahista Ahista, Mister Azaad, Andaz (1994), Xcuse Me,,Love Ke Liye Kucch Bhi Karega, Humko Deewana Kar Gaye, Taxi No. 9211, Karam (2008), Garam Masala, Humraaz (2002), Ajnabee, Shaadi Kar Ke Phas Gaya Yaar, Dulhan Hum Le Jayenge, Kahin Pyaar No Ho Jaaye, Loafer (1974), Daulat , Kaala Patthar, New York (2009), Deewana (1992), Golmaal (2006), Inaam Dus Hazaar, Karz - The Burden Of Truth, Souten, Blackmail (1972), Vaah Life Ho Toh Aisi, Chup Chup Ke, Gair , Gundaraj, Aflatoon, Mehendi, Bicchoo, Hadh Kar Di Aapne, Hathyar, Daag - The Fire, Raaz, Hum Ho Gaye Aapke, Nayak, Dil Hai Betaab, Ek Hi Raasta, Waqt Hamaara Hai, Dil Tera Diwana, Force, Bang Bang, A Gentleman, Ghar Ghar Ki Kahaani, Bade Ghar Ki Beti, Banjaran, Maa Beti, Ghar Dwaar, Hulchul (2004), Hungama (2003), Tumse Achchha Kaun Hai, Itihaas, Ab Ke Baras, Tango Charlie, Zameen, Arjun Pandit, Ziddi, Farz (2001), Maseeha, Aaghaaz, Ittefaq , Vinashak, Veerta, Shola Aur Shabnam, Ram Avtar, Paap Ki Duniya, Aag Ka Gola, Rowdy Rathore, Bhool Bhulaiya, Total Dhamaal, Golmaal Again, Mohenjodaro, Super 30, Judwaa 2, ABCD2, Race 2, Himmatwala, Bhootnath, Bhootnath Returns, The Burning Train, Zameer (1975), Bol Bachchan, Andaz (1971), Sindoor, Maa, Naksha (2006), Dum (2003), Jeena Sirf Mere Liye, Biwi No. 1, Hero No. 1, Coolie No. 1, Raja Babu, Swarg, Aankhen (1994), Kick, Prem Ratan Dhan Paayo, Jai Ho, Bajrangi Bhaijaan, Son Of Sardaar,,Singham, Singham Returns, Border, LOC - Kargil, 23 March 1931 Shaheed, Ek Villain, Aashiqui 2, Raaz 3, Once Upon a Time in Mumbai /Mumbai Dobaara, Krishna Cottage, Kyonki Main Jhooth Nahi Bolta, Kya Kool Hai Hum, Yaariyan, Maine Dil Tujhko Diya, Haqeeqat, Ishq, Tarzan (2003),,Pyaar Toh Hona Hi Thha, Majboor (1989), Daata, Charnon Ki Saigandh,,Swarg Se Sunder, Do Matwaale,.....this is just mere around 15-20% of total movies which r aired regularly on disney star hindi movie channels,,please don't tell me to list out their whole bollywood movie library. If i add dubbed hollywood movies which r aired to the list which comes to over 600 movies then u can well imagine the range of movies they air.

I have still not included the movies which r aired on star gold select or many others like Shool, Hum Tum, Ye Dillagi, Saathiya, Tashan (2008), Jai Veeru,,Hum Tum aur Shabana, Thhoda Pyaar Thhoda Magic, Detective Byomkesh Bakshi, Bachna Ae Haseeno, Dil Toh Paagal Hai, Tum Bin, Hameshaa, Refugee, Fiza, Lootcase, Kalank, Love Aaj Kal (2020) Miss 420, 13B, Naina, Khauff, Shanghai, Lootera, Filmistan, Paan Singh Tomar, Hameshaa, Lucky -No Time For Love, Sadak 2, Armaan (2003), Road (2002) or retro films like Geet, Jab Jab Phool Khile, Dharkan, Pati Patni Aur Woh (1975), Chhoti Si Baat, Namkeen, Namak Haraam, Insaaf Ka Taraazu, Nikaah , Noorie, and around 250 to 300 such films which r part of their bollywood movie library but aired often in main slots. These will gradually be aired across disney-star hindi movie channels soon. Also they r building a vast classic retro bollywood movies library so in all probability they might be considering launching a new channel for the same very soon as it is much needed.

Also my statement that u were finding trivial that "zee network hindi movie channels repeat 30 or 40 add bollywood movies on a regular basis on their main"channels is absolutely true. I can even list out all these movies but suggest u to urself observe and note down movies they show daily to know the reality. Even Colors Cineplex and Colors Cineplex Superhits has exact same issue, they air very less number of bollywood movies and only 15 or 20 odd bollywood movies r repeated on these 2 channels. Zee hindi movie channels has another major negative point as far as their scheduling is concerned, they many times repeat the same movie on 2 different on a single day....sometimes same movie is airing simultaneously on their 2 hindi movie channels. I can very well understand if same movie is repeated on some special occasion / day and same is aired on Zee Anmol Cinema (For DD Free Dish Viewers) and on say And Pictures (For Pay TV Viewers who can also watch it in HD) but what is point of airing a movie like say Simbaa on a single day on both zee cinema and And Pictures & as i said sometimes even simultaneously. Though Sony Airs less bollywood movies on Sony Max and Wah but atleasr they do not repeat bollywood movies as often on these channels despite having relatively lot smaller bollywood movie library than zee, even Sony Max 2 has wide range off bollywood films

Any u did not reply whether u ready for a challenge to compare number of different bollywood movies which r aired on disney-star and zee hindi movie channels in next 15 days . Let us keep niche channels like Zee Classic, Star Gold Select, And Xplor out of it

Last edited:
Let us keep niche channels like Zee Classic, Star Gold Select, And Xplor out of it.
For me Zee Classic doesn't even feel like a niche channel now a days, they have pushed Many Retro movies to Watershed hours, Like - Wanted: Dead or Alive (1984), Locket (1986), Jaagte Raho (1956), Mr.x in Bombay, Sarfarosh (1999), Hum Paanch (1980), Devdas (1955), Baat Ban Jaye (1986), Yari Dushmani (1980), Dulha Bikta Hai (1982), Phir Wohi Dil Laya Hoon (1963), April Fool (1963), Amir Garib (1974), Dharma Karma (1997), Kundra Baap (1974), Ponga Pandit (1975), Laat Saab, Bombay, Bandit Queen (1999), etc....so there are many Retro films that Disney-Star should renew/Acquire from Zee and from Production companies/owners, library companies and movies which aired very long back on tv but after expiry hasn't aired back or very less aired and movies which hasn't even aired on TV channels.

At least SGS and &Xplor HD, show the movies which they have pushed to watershed hours, sometimes on evening or prime slot (some movies are kept for special airing I guess). expect Guru Dutt Sahab's movies on his b'day, they don't anything much different to show, same repetitive schedule just as Zee Bollywood and other Zee Hindi Movie Channels.

Dulaara (1994), Himmat (1996), Om Jai Jagadish, Mohabbat (1997), Shiva (1989), Jaan Tere Naam, Saaheb, Mr. Bechara, Raajkumar (1996), Safari (1999), Deewanapan, RHTDM, Dil Kya Kare, Chal Mere Bhai, Ahista Ahista, Mister Azaad, Andaz (1994), Xcuse Me,,Love Ke Liye Kucch Bhi Karega, Humko Deewana Kar Gaye, Taxi No. 9211, Karam (2008), Garam Masala, Humraaz (2002), Ajnabee, Shaadi Kar Ke Phas Gaya Yaar, Dulhan Hum Le Jayenge, Kahin Pyaar No Ho Jaaye, Loafer (1974), Daulat , Kaala Patthar, New York (2009), Deewana (1992), Golmaal (2006), Inaam Dus Hazaar, Karz - The Burden Of Truth, Souten, Blackmail (1972), Vaah Life Ho Toh Aisi, Chup Chup Ke, Gair , Gundaraj, Aflatoon, Mehendi, Bicchoo, Hadh Kar Di Aapne, Hathyar, Daag - The Fire, Raaz, Hum Ho Gaye Aapke, Nayak, Dil Hai Betaab, Ek Hi Raasta, Waqt Hamaara Hai, Dil Tera Diwana, Force, Bang Bang, A Gentleman, Ghar Ghar Ki Kahaani, Bade Ghar Ki Beti, Banjaran, Maa Beti, Ghar Dwaar, Hulchul (2004), Hungama (2003), Tumse Achchha Kaun Hai, Itihaas, Ab Ke Baras, Tango Charlie, Zameen, Arjun Pandit, Ziddi, Farz (2001), Maseeha, Aaghaaz, Ittefaq , Vinashak, Veerta, Shola Aur Shabnam, Ram Avtar, Paap Ki Duniya, Aag Ka Gola, Rowdy Rathore, Bhool Bhulaiya, Total Dhamaal, Golmaal Again, Mohenjodaro, Super 30, Judwaa 2, ABCD2, Race 2, Himmatwala, Bhootnath, Bhootnath Returns, The Burning Train, Zameer (1975), Bol Bachchan, Andaz (1971), Sindoor, Maa, Naksha (2006), Dum (2003), Jeena Sirf Mere Liye, Biwi No. 1, Hero No. 1, Coolie No. 1, Raja Babu, Swarg, Aankhen (1994), Kick, Prem Ratan Dhan Paayo, Jai Ho, Bajrangi Bhaijaan, Son Of Sardaar,,Singham, Singham Returns, Border, LOC - Kargil, 23 March 1931 Shaheed, Ek Villain, Aashiqui 2, Raaz 3, Once Upon a Time in Mumbai /Mumbai Dobaara, Krishna Cottage, Kyonki Main Jhooth Nahi Bolta, Kya Kool Hai Hum, Yaariyan, Maine Dil Tujhko Diya, Haqeeqat, Ishq, Tarzan (2003),,Pyaar Toh Hona Hi Thha, Majboor (1989), Daata, Charnon Ki Saigandh,,Swarg Se Sunder, Do Matwaale,.....this is just mere around 15-20% of total movies which r aired regularly on disney star hindi movie channels,,please don't tell me to list out their whole bollywood movie library. If i add dubbed hollywood movies which r aired to the list which comes to over 600 movies then u can well imagine the range of movies they air.

I have still not included the movies which r aired on star gold select or many others like Shool, Hum Tum, Ye Dillagi, Saathiya, Tashan (2008), Jai Veeru,,Hum Tum aur Shabana, Thhoda Pyaar Thhoda Magic, Detective Byomkesh Bakshi, Bachna Ae Haseeno, Dil Toh Paagal Hai, Tum Bin, Hameshaa, Refugee, Fiza, Lootcase, Kalank, Love Aaj Kal (2020) Miss 420, 13B, Naina, Khauff, Shanghai, Lootera, Filmistan, Paan Singh Tomar, Hameshaa, Lucky -No Time For Love, Sadak 2, Armaan (2003), Road (2002) or retro films like Geet, Jab Jab Phool Khile, Dharkan, Pati Patni Aur Woh (1975), Chhoti Si Baat, Namkeen, Namak Haraam, Insaaf Ka Taraazu, Nikaah , Noorie, and around 250 to 300 such films which r part of their bollywood movie library but aired often in main slots. These will gradually be aired across disney-star hindi movie channels soon. Also they r building a vast classic retro bollywood movies library so in all probability they might be considering launching a new channel for the same very soon as it is much needed.
Except for recent YRF additions. Same movies are repeated for years. I haven't seen Paan Singh Tomar, Love Aaj Kal, Hum Tum etc. air since years.

Back
Top Bottom