Discussion Satellite rights of Hindi movies

• Thread starter Thread starter Joyanaranha
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies: Replies 25,061
  • Views Views: Views 4,354,872
Till how many years does B4U have rights of old Vishesh Films and when will they shift back to Disney-star ???? Or will the renewed by Zee just like The 4 movies which was renewed by them (HMK, Mr. X, Khamoshiyan, Citylights), B4U renewed them around 2016 or 2017, before the launch of SGS. Sony is also not showing them after The first airing of B4U-Sony Syndication deal.

Disney-Star airs wide variety of bollywood films across its hindi movie channels. Ofcourse Kahaani won't air regularly one prime slots of their main hindi movie channels but same is aired on Star Gold Select alongwith many other such films on regular basis. On main channels too u would see popular old/new bollywood films airing more but their repetition is quite less and instead disney-star airs lot more other good bollywood movies unlike zee which repeats 30 odd bollywood movies too many times on a daily basis. Also many times offbeat / niche /critically acclaimed bollywood films r also aired on Star Gold/HD, UTV Movies.

If u are not willing to admit the vast difference in content strategy of disney-star and zee hindi movie channels then it is ur choice buddy bcos ground reality speaks for itself.

Ofcourse subscription revenue and ratings r very important . All i tried to state is that there r various dynamics/factirs which come into play when brands/agencies decide to buy ad slots on a channel and at price point they fetch. I have already explained it with examples for all to understand this point. Also an informed viewer or a person who has interest in media/broadcast industry would surely care for all things including what strategy is adopted by broadcasters and how they r successful or not in it... I made the point about disney-star hindi movie channels building a unique identity for itself which has over the years buold mass connect with bollywood / dubbed hollywood movie viewers and same has translated into very good revenue. Other rival networks have failed to do so and r involved in hyper competition in dubed south indian movie segment which ain't that beneficial . Please refer tp the tgread link i had posted above to understand why it is key/extremely essential for hindi movie channels to focus more on bollywood movies else there r high chances that such channels won't turn out financially that much viable, alienating bollywood movie audience is never the right approach. Disney-Star Hindi Movie Channels have well balanced their content line up with new as well as old bollywood movies + dubbed hollywood movies + few dubbed south indian movies...it is true that many new bollywood movies might not connect with mass audience but older bollywood movies do and have immense repeat as well as entertainment value. As disney-star has a very vast & loyal bollywood audience base hence they r able to leverage the best potential out of all films while as rival networks have alienated bollywood movie audience with more focus on dubbed south indian movies hence there r chances that even after spending lot of money for acquiring new or old bollywood movies the viewership may still not attain best possible levels for the same as bollywood audience pull will remain to be low.

Goldmines caters to mass audience in both rural as well as urban audience hence mere volume of viewership is extremely high which would help them command a ad slot price somewhat higher than usual. Remember it is Free To Air channel on both DD Free Dish as well as Pay TV Platforms so enjoys that advantage. So somewhat high price for ad slots, more number of ads and keeping dubbed movie acquisition cost in control helps them remains financially viable. Remember they have in house dubbing facility so it also helps curtail cost unlike a situation where a broadcaster buys rights of dubbed south indian movie from 3rd party which adds acquisition + dubbing cost + profit margin and then sells it to the concerned broadcaster. Initially Goldmines would have paid high carriage fee to make the channel available across private DTH / Cable TV Platforms but as channel becomes popular they get the advantage at hand/opportunity / chance to better negotiate carriage fee agreement at lower price with operators as both parties know that there is huge demand for the channel from viewers
As u can see even the big budget yrf movies should have done much better on star
Prithviraj, shamshera, Bunty aur Babli 2 did quite poorly so Sony was right to break the partnership with yrf , not many of the older films are repeated as frequently on Star as I had hoped
I agree star shows more Hindi movies than Sony but at the end of the day ratings decide the repetition of movies and star is not doing significantly better than Sony in terms of yrf movies as well.now Pathan and tiger are the only hope. These 2 should do well
If they also don’t then I don’t think yrf star deal will continue.

Pathan and tiger are the only hope. These 2 should do well
The problem is with YRF and not Star. YRF has given only flops since War. It couldn’t release anything in 2020. The hype around Pathaan is not only about SRK and Deepika but also the fact that the same Siddharth Anand who gave two blockbusters in the past (Bang Bang and War, incidentally both with Hrithik Roshan and both released on Gandhi Jayanti) will give his signature spy action thriller treatment again. YRF needs more of it to survive when nothing else is working. It’s not like Sony was getting all the blockbusters (such as Sultan and TZH) while Star isn’t. Both have their share of hits and flops from YRF. Some have moved to Disney Star while others have stayed with Sony. Doesn’t mean that either network is more successful than the other. YRF and Sony parting ways is strictly a business deal and not based on the fate of movies.

As u can see even the big budget yrf movies should have done much better on star
Prithviraj, shamshera, Bunty aur Babli 2 did quite poorly so Sony was right to break the partnership with yrf , not many of the older films are repeated as frequently on Star as I had hoped
I agree star shows more Hindi movies than Sony but at the end of the day ratings decide the repetition of movies and star is not doing significantly better than Sony in terms of yrf movies as well.now Pathan and tiger are the only hope. These 2 should do well

Already answered this in one of my earlier posts in another thread. Please have a look at the same. It is not a question of a poorly made film not doing well on TV but whether a broadcaster is able to leverage best out of a movie or not. Disney-Star manages to deliver best possible ratings for a bollywood movie as it has strong connect with bollywood movie audience while others lack behind in this matter. Even Samraat Prithviraj , Bunty Aur Bubli 2 managed to garner average ratings on its premiere on Disney-Star Hindi Movie Channels which in itself is a big thing and entered top 10 bollywood movies premiere list of 2022. Please refer to this post for more details

Last edited:
Here is the post i was referring to in above post

buddy, you seem to have misunderstood what i have always said .

Big movies with famous star cast and more so which is meant for family viewing or has some connect with mass audience will get good ratings on hindi movie channels for 1st few airing irrespective of which channel it airs on. If movie is not good then after 2 or 3 airings ratings will see major drop and thereafter movie will perform poorly on TV whereas if it is good then consistent good ratings will continue and even see surge after few airings as word of mouth spreads about it.
This is bcoz as i have told that box office report card is never a exact indicator of whether a movie is good or bad...there r various factors at play and depending on that movie becomes a hit or flop at theatre.

A niche /multiplex audience centric subject movie may be a hit at cinemas but these perform poorly when they air on TV as mass audience does not connect with it ...also these days audience of such films skip going to cinemas and watch these films on OTT . A full on good masala movie might prove to be a flop at box office but prove superhit on TV reason being that going to cinemas is beyond the budget of many people bcoz 1stly multiplex tickets r too costly + there r lot less single screen cinemas and there too ticket prices r still quite costly and above all cinema hall penetration is still very less all over the country so people going to watch movies in theatres r just 4 to 5% of total population even incase of films which r these days considered blockbuster in box office collections . Lastly there r films which r really bad and prove to be flop in cinema halls as well as TV.

Coming to the point what difference does it make if a film airs on Disney Star Hindi Movie Channels or rival sony-zee or viacom18 hindi movie channels....it makes a lot of difference. Disney Star has very vast, loyal and dedicated bollywood movies audience base whereas sony-zee, viacom18 with their greater focus being on dubbed south indian movies have lost out on building a good bollywood movie audience base. Also zee has very poor scheduling strategy where not only few bollywood movies r aired but repetition of handful of bollywood movies is another major downside. This results in a bollywood movie leveraging its best potential when it gets aired on Disney Star Hindi Movie Channels rather than on rival network channels.
In the Top 10 premiere charts u can see Disney Star managed to get average / good ratings even for flop / not so good movies like Samraat Prithviraj, Bunty Aur Bubli 2 and i am certain that Average Films like Jayeshbhai Jordaar , Shamshera , 83 though have got average / good ratings on 1st telecast but in subsequent airings this would have shown improvements bcoz of good word of mouth. Had these movies aired on sony-zee or viacom18 hindi movie channels i feel they would not have been in Top 10 list. I strongly believe Had Sooryavanshi, Bhool Bhulaiya 2, Bachchan Panday , Raksha Bandhan aired on Disney Star Hindi Movie Channels then its premiere as well as subsequent airings ratings would be far better as compared to what it got on sony-zee

Except for recent YRF additions. Same movies are repeated for years. I haven't seen Paan Singh Tomar, Love Aaj Kal, Hum Tum etc. air since years.

Not correct buddy. They have renewed around near about 250 bollywood movies or maybe even more in last three or 4 years. Also there have been even more renewals for dubbed hollywood movies. If we add new release movies acquired in both these genres during same time period then count further increases by around 100 or 150 ...... This is just an average count estimated by me, it can definitely be higher but not on the lower side.

Disney-Star Hindi Movie Channels air very vast range of bollywood + dubbed hollywood movies and need more channels to give adequate airing to all such films which r part of their library / catalogue. As i have stated flagship channels operate with more focus on attaining high ratings & generate higher revenue so as to compensate/recover for very high new movies acquisition cost hence cannot give space to many films which deliver average or below average or very minimal ratings which affects ratings thus leading to lowe ad slot rates (ratings does not necessarily mean being no. 1 but aim is to get getting good ratings for concerned segment/audience base which brands find appealing & thereby willing to pay good price for buying ad slots on the channel/s)..for airing these movies secondary hindi movie channels are required which can cater to wider audience by showing more variety of movies without getting much into intense ratings battle and competing with other such rival network hindi movie channels by maintaining a balanced cost of content acquisition to revenue ratio.

UTV Movies, Zee Bollywood, Zee Action, UTV Action, Sony Max 2 all fall under this category. Hindi Movie Channels from big 4 broadcasters on DD Free Dish platforms aim to achieve higher ratings / viewership from rural/semi urban areas thus translating into more "volume" of ads though at not so high ad slot rates which thereby helps them remain financially viable.

So there r various dynamics which come into play for different channels operating in the same genre too which regular people won't know or understand. @Zubyan bro this also addresses ur query as to why Star Gold Romance, Star Gold Thrills hindi movie channels are much needed and infuture we might get more such channels from Disney-Star as well as new channels or rebrand/revamp of their existing channels which r available in other genres. I have even sent feedback to them to launch 2 launch UTV Movies on DD Free Dish platform and air 80s to recent bollywood movies on it while rebranding/revamping Star Utsav Movies into a retro/classic bollywood movies channel which will effectively address the need to have a channel to compete with Zee Classic & cater to the audience base which loves watching these retro bollywood movies as well as other bollywood + dubbed hollywood movies on both DD Free Dish and Private DTH / Cable TV Platforms without launching any new channel for the same. Let's see if post launch of Star Gold Romance / Thrills if similar kind of changes r brought about

'Guns of Banaras' (remake of Polladhavan) showing on Shemaroo Bollywood. This is not even on Shemaroo Youtube channels.

AfsfCCy.png

@iDJ dada here r list of some more bollywood movies which r aired on their main channels
Babu, Bahurani, Bhabhi, Hum, Meri Jung, Tezaab, Dariya Dil, Rajaji, Baap Numbari Beta Dus Numbri, Bala, Roohi, Mimi, Hanuman Da Dumdaar, Hum Hai Raahi Pyaar Ke, Laxmi, Bandhan, Garv - Pride and Honour, Tumko Na Bhool Payenge, Jolly LLB 2, MS Dhoni - An Untold Story, Aiyaary , Bhaag Milkha Bhaag, The Big Bull, Tanhaji - The Unsung Warrior, Mission Mangal , Stree, Sanju, Lajja,...they even air many kids movies like Jajantram Mamantram, Movie franchises like My Friend Ganesha/ Little Krishna/Bal Ganesh, Bumm Bumm Bole , Chillar Party, bal ganesh and lastly even many devotional movies + Ramayana/Shri Krishna episodes combined in form of a movie.

I can list out 100s of more bollywood movies and even dubbed hollywood movies which r aired across disney-star hindi movie channels.

You still did not reply if u r ready to compare range of bollywood movies which get aired on Disney-Star and Zee Hindi Movie Channels in next 10 or 15 days...we can create a thread for it and at the end of time period analyse the results.

Incase u want a shorter comparison please see the number of bollywood movies and even diverse set of movies being aired on Disney-Star Hindi Movie Channels in coming 2 days (Sunday and Monday)... Schedule for same has been updated on Airtel Digital TV Set Top Box (Star Gold schdule updated only tomorrow, rest channels schedule available for sunday and monday). We can draw a side by side difference chart between bollywood movies being aired on Disney-Star and Zee Hindi Movie Channels in next 2 days, even though half of Zee Hindi Movie channel is filled with ILT20 matches on many channels still on other slots there r same set of few bollywood movies being aired which get continuously repeated on a daily basis barring maybe one or two exceptions, still dubbed south indian movies feature prominently on rest of the slots on zee hindi movie channels and during weekdays the ratio of dubbed south indian movies being aired on their channels further goes high (even when earlier there is no cricket being aired and all slots filled with movies).

Disney-Star may air say 8 or 10 bollywood movies more often but they air 50 other bollywood movies which r aired thru the week which get aired after big gaps ....their scheduling of bollywood movies offers huge choice to viewers to watch large number of movies which is not case with zee

@iDJ dada here r list of some more bollywood movies which r aired on their main channels
Babu, Bahurani, Bhabhi, Hum, Meri Jung, Tezaab, Dariya Dil, Rajaji, Baap Numbari Beta Dus Numbri, Bala, Roohi, Mimi, Hanuman Da Dumdaar, Hum Hai Raahi Pyaar Ke, Laxmi, Bandhan, Garv - Pride and Honour, Tumko Na Bhool Payenge, Jolly LLB 2, MS Dhoni - An Untold Story, Aiyaary , Bhaag Milkha Bhaag, The Big Bull, Tanhaji - The Unsung Warrior, Mission Mangal , Stree, Sanju, Lajja,...they even air many kids movies like Jajantram Mamantram, Movie franchises like My Friend Ganesha/ Little Krishna/Bal Ganesh, Bumm Bumm Bole , Chillar Party, bal ganesh and lastly even many devotional movies + Ramayana/Shri Krishna episodes combined in form of a movie.
Brother these movies are airing on repeat. There is nothing new strategy to it.

Back
Top Bottom