Discussion Satellite rights of Hindi movies

Finally finished the massive list of movies for 2010. Now I understand why Star Gold Select was launched (just kidding): perhaps 20-25% of the Star Gold Select library was released in 2010 alone! Star has a whopping 35+ movies from 2010 alone if you include movies that were later bought by other networks: Veer (Zee), Housefull (Zee), Anjaana Anjaani (Zee), Kites (Sony), Paathshaala (Sony), Raajneeti (UTV), Do Dooni Chaar (UTV), Guzaarish (Viacom18), Action Replayy (Viacom18). Zee has not managed to come anywhere near this record.

Note that UTV and Star don't exactly share the movies listed above though they are both owned by Disney.

Bollywood Satellite Acquisitions (2010–present).xlsx

Last edited:
Finally finished the massive list of movies for 2010. Now I understand why Star Gold Select was launched (just kidding): perhaps 20-25% of the Star Gold Select library was released in 2010 alone! Star has a whopping 35+ movies from 2010 alone if you include movies that were later bought by other networks: Veer (Zee), Housefull (Zee), Anjaana Anjaani (Zee), Kites (Sony), Paathshaala (Sony), Raajneeti (UTV), Do Dooni Chaar (UTV), Guzaarish (Viacom18), Action Replayy (Viacom18). Zee has not managed to come anywhere near this record.

Note that UTV and Star don't exactly share the movies listed above though they are both owned by Disney.

There must be some restriction in agreement when it was signed with UTV Network and as it was separate entity back then hence recently inducted Star Channels cannot air these movies until modifications r made in the same. Similarly Disney movies like Dangal, ABCD, Jagga Jasoos, Race etc. cannot come on Star as secondary telecast agreement with Zee does not allow the same.

From your table Zee-168, Star-154, sony-122, viacom-67 but after yrf & shahrukh movies aquisition star will be on no.1 position

Thank you for the totals! :tup: I had never thought of it. But it is clear that we have almost arrived at a Zee-Star duopoly.

With only few good bollywood movies releasing each year, 2 broadcasters r more than enough for mainstream competition. Rest other smaller or average films anyways will come here or there and it hardly matters. Too many broadcasters vying for rights shoots up prices thus not good either for channels or us. Also i feel soon Colors Cineplex will start to focus more on bollywood as dubbed movies are not working for it.

With Disney coming in Zee will face a stiffer challenge acquiring movie rights.

Thank you for the totals! :tup: I had never thought of it. But it is clear that we have almost arrived at a Zee-Star duopoly.
After aqusition of yrf(24 from sony after 2010) & SRK movies( 8+3)star will be 189
Zee 160(168-8), sony 95(122-24-3) , viacom same as before
I considered jab tak hai jaan & fan as srk movies not as yrf
Correct ek tha tiger as u have not * marked on it

Last edited:
My thoughts about War satellite rights
YRF did a similar experiment for Lafangey Parindey its satellite rights were sold to colors and they had it for 5 years after that they sold it to Sony this can also be a possibility.

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock