Breaking Star Published NTO 2.0 RIO

If you are willing to read, read page 153 onwards of Bombay HC Judgement (link below), where broadcasters said we are only regulated and there is no similar price regulation for DPOs and their argument was quashed by the Court.

Broadcasters argument is rejected for this reason only. Same rule or stricter rule applies to DPO bouquets. While in court they are arguing on contrary and trying to play smart. My discussion in for DPO packs/bouquets. There is not confusion wrt broadcasters pack/bouquet as they are used interchangeably.

4PrZoYz.png

"fact that the bulk of
DPO bouquets(means called Curated packs, DPO packs here) which the consumers subscribe to include
broadcaster bouquets"..
We all know DPO adds on pack and curated packs are different. One can call with whatever name.
Read last line. Little score or truly customised DPO bouquets.
DPO packs are nothing but broadcaster packs+alacarte. True DPO bouquets are add-on with little or no discount.
This confusion is because of TRAI definition. Curated packs, add-on pack, broadcasters bouquet all are called bouquets as per trai definition.

GiddVu3.png

Basic service tier has evolved as base pack or curated pack which is also called as bouquets due to trai definition. But add-on packs are actual DPO bouquets. I am saying on basis on functional definition

Last edited:
Concluding from where it started. All I want to say is broadcasters bouquets and curated packs are not exactly under same set of rules. Latter can have pay as well as FTA channels along with 12+ priced channels. This flexibility not available to broadcasters bouquet. Broadcaster bouquets true counterpart is DPO add-on packs in terms of rules.

keep trai definition aside as TRAI called everything as bouquet
I don't think it makes sense to ignore TRAI lexicon. They are the ones who make and implement these rules.

The arguments in the discussion above are very interesting. We also need to consider one more point. Not a single TV channel was priced above bouquet upper limit of ₹19 in NTO 1.0. Perhaps this was the reason why TRAI let DPOs make any kind of "curated packs" and were not strict about it. They have shown similar behavior regarding 15% discount rule in NTO 1.0 as well.

Now multiple channels in NTO 2.0 go beyond the bouquet upper limit of ₹12, and are forced to go à-la-carte. We shall see how TRAI goes about their own definitions this time around.

Broadcasters argument is rejected for this reason only. Same rule or stricter rule applies to DPO bouquets. While in court they are arguing on contrary and trying to play smart. My discussion in for DPO packs/bouquets. There is not confusion wrt broadcasters pack/bouquet as they are used interchangeably.
"fact that the bulk of
DPO bouquets(means called Curated packs, DPO packs here) which the consumers subscribe to include
broadcaster bouquets"..
This confusion is because of TRAI definition. Curated packs, add-on pack, broadcasters bouquet all are called bouquets as per trai definition.
Basic service tier has evolved as base pack or curated pack which is also called as bouquets due to trai definition. But add-on packs are actual DPO bouquets. I am saying on basis on functional definition

TRAI's definition applies to all the rules framed by them.

Just because some DPO Pay channel bouquet has lower NCF (NCF contains the FTA channels not DPO bouquet), it doesn't mean it is out of TRAI's Regulation.

I have not seen any DTH websites listing FTA channels in any of their Pay channel containing Packs

15% discount in NTO 1.0 was struck by Madras HC

Last edited:
TRAI's definition applies to rules all the framed by them.

Just because some DPO bouquet has lower NCF (NCF contains the FTA channels not DPO bouquet), it doesn't mean it is out of TRAI's Regulation.

I have not seen any DTH websites listing FTA channels in any of their Pay channel containing Packs

15% discount in NTO 1.0 was struck by Madras HC
DPO curated packs(bouquets/combo) do have FTA channels as part of basic service tier. Till recently DishTV/D2H(not sure about SD) used to list FTA+pay channels under their combo(now they separated). NCF is applied on FTA as well as pay channels(part of bouquet), not only FTA..
If trai treats DPO curated packs(combos) and broadcasters bouquet equally than 12₹+ channels won't be there, otherwise no issues.

Edit:below is retention package of DishTV. Pay+FTA are part of this. By trai definition it violates rule since NTO 1.0
6tWGs1O.jpg

Last edited:
DPO curated packs(bouquets/combo) do have FTA channels as part of basic service tier. Till recently DishTV/D2H(not sure about SD) used to list FTA+pay channels under their combo(now they separated). NCF is applied on FTA as well as pay channels(part of bouquet), not only FTA..
If trai treats DPO curated packs(combos) and broadcasters bouquet equally than 12₹+ channels won't be there, otherwise no issues.

Edit:below is retention package of DishTV. Pay+FTA are part of this. By trai definition it violates rule since NTO 1.0
I think basic service tier by TRAI refers to the basic NCF pack (pack of FTA channels) only. The curated packs offered by DPOs are not 'basic' service tier, but something above that.

Now, question is whether DPOs can continue to create Curated packs and include channels priced more than ₹12 in them?
DPO bouquets (Jodi packs) cannot have channels priced above ₹ 12.

And NTO 1.0 in it's entirety was upheld by Supreme Court later on (including 15% discount rule). Still TRAI decided to let it slide.

Edit: All this confusion might very well be a result of TRAI's inconsistent enforcement of rules

I think TRAI didn't file appeal / press for reversal of 15% struck by HC, SC simply dismissed the appeals, so HC judgement stands.

If 15% was allowed by SC, there would be no need for NTO 2.0, TRAI can simply enforce the 15% rule at anytime.

Seems like NTO 2.0 will increase my pack price by 25-50Rs. Very bad

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock