Good News TRAI wins the tariff order case against Star in Supreme Court

• Thread starter Shubh
  • Start date
  • Replies: Replies 1,725
  • Views: Views 232,835
Now I feel there is no need of any alterations in Television sector. Because we have 6+ dth services and cable with diverse rates.People who are willing to pay more can go with tatasky etc. If we want channels at low cost can choose Sun/airtel or cable connection. Nobody is forcing to take a particular connection. Now this rule seems trapping all people to pay almost same cost. 🙁🙁

There is just one issue. Shall customer buy and keep all dth and cable brand and activate that dth or cable only which gives him deactivated offer ?

Because when we bought ts in 2007 price was way cheaper and having very good pic and lots of chs compared to cable at that time. First forward today it has become very expensive as there is no pricing regulations.

Airtel/sun giving you cheaper pack that doesn't mean in future they will always remain cheap. So if these become expensive then are you expecting consumers to invest again on new DTH brand Or is it consumer fault that they choose airtel/Sun in 2018 just like we bought TS in 2007 ?

Airtel/sun giving you cheaper pack that doesn't mean in future they will always remain cheap. So if these become expensive then are you expecting consumers to invest again on new DTH brand Or is it consumer fault that they choose airtel/Sun in 2018 just like we bought TS in 2007 ?

I think Airtel/Sun could never have charged equivalent to TS in the old regime. Biggest reason for people using those DTH is the low cost compared to Tata Sky. If everyone charges the same, obviously consumer chooses the brand which scores better in QOS and that's what will happen now. If Airtel and Sun does not provide cost effective packs and discounts in the new regime, there could be mass migrations to TS.

I think Airtel/Sun could never have charged equivalent to TS in the old regime. Biggest reason for people using those DTH is the low cost compared to Tata Sky. If everyone charges the same, obviously consumer chooses the brand which scores better in QOS and that's what will happen now. If Airtel and Sun does not provide cost effective packs and discounts in the new regime, there could be mass migrations to TS.
Broadcaster packs are cheaper than DRP packs (based in a la carte prices) and broadcaster packs have more publicity than DRP packs in their channels.

Cost of DTH transmission is also higher. Transponder rent per year is around 8 crore. So if a DTH has 24 transponder to carry 600 chs then their total cost on transponder is around 150-170 crore per year. No local cable operator spend that much money on his business per year.
Then what is TRAI problem??Have they asked TRAI to compensate the loss??

Now I think the broadcasters bribed TRAI Chairman for this favorable order.

Now Broadcasters are in upper hand against DPOs and TRAI in new regime

Broadcaster packs are cheaper than DRP packs (based in a la carte prices) and broadcaster packs have more publicity than DRP packs in their channels.
DPOs can give discount in NCF. 130 is the maximum TRAI had set, it doesn't mean everyone needs to charge the same. The pricing across DTH could only be different if they charge different NCF. I'm sure players like Airtel and Sun will realize this once the consumers start shifting to TS.

DPOs can give discount in NCF. 130 is the maximum TRAI had set, it doesn't mean everyone needs to charge the same. The pricing across DTH could only be different if they charge different NCF. I'm sure players like Airtel and Sun will realize this once the consumers start shifting to TS.
TS asks more NCF for QoS in courts against TRAI.

If broadcasters bribe trai chief then why he wrote 15% rule ? Isn't 15% rule anti broadcaster as that would prevent them from charging Rs 19 for all their chs ?

Mass migration to ts is ok as long as they hv equal or less market share but if they have bigger market share than ts let's say in 2025, what prevent them in old regime from charging more than ts ?

Also migration to other operator is not easy as we have to again invest on hardware which is the main reason I still use ts though costly and I believe there are many people out there like me.

Last edited:
Mass migration to ts is ok as long as they hv equal or less market share but if they have bigger market share than ts let's say in 2025, what prevent them in old regime from charging more than ts ?

Also migration to other operator is not easy as we have to again invest on hardware which is the main reason I still use ts though costly and I believe there are many people out there like me.
They wouldn't have dared to charge more than TS. They know very well that TS is ruling the market even though they charge high. They were sustaining their current share by keeping lower prices. If these players start charging like TS, forget about gaining, they would have lost the existing share.

There's a difference in your case. You were with the number 1 provider and you were getting the best QOS for what you pay. So the price you pay for switching the operator for reducing your monthly charges might be compromised by the loss of service. Here the case is opposite. Consumers are going to get better service at same price with one time investment.

Let's see what happens in the new regime. Whether people will think about the one time investment to get better QOS or they would continue paying higher charges to current operators for much lesser QOS.

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock