Good News TRAI wins the tariff order case against Star in Supreme Court

• Thread starter Shubh
  • Start date
  • Replies: Replies 1,725
  • Views: Views 232,329
No. Base pack is mandatory (Rs.130+GST)
Yes broadcasters will make it mandatory even if it's not. Coz they will not get any revenue from pay channels so they will mandate this. Good thing is it will stop agreement renewal war which happens every year between broadcasters and service providers but then for premium channels customer may have to pay anything from 15-30 Rs.

Yes broadcasters will make it mandatory even if it's not. Coz they will not get any revenue from pay channels so they will mandate this. Good thing is it will stop agreement renewal war which happens every year between broadcasters and service providers but then for premium channels customer may have to pay anything from 15-30 Rs.
Distributors will take 20% commission from broadcaster's.

Will there be combo base packs and combo add ons (both sd and hd) after the order is implemented?

After this order it means package of various Dth comes to an end. Plz correct me if i am wrong

So instead of a one price for DTH pack we have to calculate by combining:
1. Network Capacity Fee to DTH/cable operators
2. Package cost to various channel owner
I think this is worse than existing system where margins are added by operator to the wholesale price.
Also new order says if 20% of users under an operator subscribe to an FTA channel then carriage fee to channel owner is removed. But what happens if operator just drop popular FTA channels and add useless ones to get carriage fee. I think this TRAI regulation will be repealed as soon as it's implemented due to bad planning.

Sun direct has started launching HD add-ons as per new tarrif.

HD topups will start from ₹10 & will go till ₹50.
Airtel charges Rs 54 for the Malayalam HD topup & provides two HD channels
Under the new tariff, Sun Direct has priced its Malayalam HD addon of three HD channels — at just Rs 10.
@iphifi bro one query, can DTHs give HD add-ons from 1st January? Do they have permission to mix channels of various broadcaster & provide them in a single topup?
If yes, then what's the benefit of giving bouquets? Users can directly take these topups as they'll be more affordable.

@iphifi bro one query, can DTHs give HD add-ons from 1st January? Do they have permission to mix channels of various broadcaster & provide them in a single topup?
If yes, then what's the benefit of giving bouquets? Users can directly take these topups as they'll be more affordable.
I think all topups are still valid. Distributor (DTH operator) has the right to give channels at below MRP declared by broadcaster. Because of Rs.130 network access fee all operators can easily give discounts.
Every distributor of television channels shall offer all channels available on its network to all subscribers on a-la-carte basis and declare distributor retail price, per month, of each pay channel payable by a subscriber. Provided that the distributor retail price, per month, payable by a subscriber to a distributor of television channels for subscribing to a pay channel shall, in no case, exceed the maximum retail price, per month, declared by the broadcasters for such pay channel
It shall be permissible for a distributor of television channels to offer bouquet(s) formed from pay channels of one or more broadcasters and declare distributor retail price(s), per month, of such bouquet(s) payable by a subscriber
Also bouquets are less costlier than its constituent alacarte topups by 15%.

Also if you want to take pay channels as alacarte you still have to pay Rs.130 network access fee:

Provided that if a subscriber opts for pay channels or bouquet of pay channels, he shall be liable to pay an amount equal to sum of distributor retail price(s)for such channel(s) and bouquets in addition to network capacity fee.

Last edited:
Can we expect Star Sports 1/HD & Star Spurts 1 Hindi/HD made available outside bundle with higher a-la-carte price

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock