Channel addition policy

• Thread starter Thread starter pochisur
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies: Replies 12
  • Views Views: Views 1,912

pochisur

Reaction score
I have a query related to addition policy of new channels in TS, especially the HD channels, which we all have been very eagerly awaiting, including the much wanted SIX HD currently.

We are already facing a situation wherein, we are made to pay the HD access fee and still not being able to watch newly added premium HD channels. Even being annual mega pack customer does not help in avoiding this fleecing my TS.

We all keep saying that by adding these premium channels and seperately charging for these, TS will compensate the costs spent on migration to MPEG4. I am curious to know on what may be the annual income they will get from these so called premium channels, including the recently added HBO channels in HD. DOes it not make better business sense to add more popular channels which are in demand and earn by way of carriage fees and also get more customers / retain current customers??

I also feel , if TS knew that SONY SIX will bag so many rights so soon, they would have swapped it for one of the premium HBO channels.

Request your comments. Its frustrating to keep looking for channel additions !!!

pochisur said:
DOes it not make better business sense to add more popular channels which are in demand and earn by way of carriage fees and also get more customers / retain current customers??

Popular Channels Not Give Carriage Fees

Prashanta said:
Popular Channels Not Give Carriage Fees

Absolutely :tup. Actually it's the reverse process, they earn money from dth or cable as subscription charge along with ad revenue.

pochisur said:
I have a query related to addition policy of new channels in TS, especially the HD channels, which we all have been very eagerly awaiting, including the much wanted SIX HD currently.

We are already facing a situation wherein, we are made to pay the HD access fee and still not being able to watch newly added premium HD channels. Even being annual mega pack customer does not help in avoiding this fleecing my TS.

We all keep saying that by adding these premium channels and seperately charging for these, TS will compensate the costs spent on migration to MPEG4. I am curious to know on what may be the annual income they will get from these so called premium channels, including the recently added HBO channels in HD. DOes it not make better business sense to add more popular channels which are in demand and earn by way of carriage fees and also get more customers / retain current customers??

I also feel , if TS knew that SONY SIX will bag so many rights so soon, they would have swapped it for one of the premium HBO channels.

Request your comments. Its frustrating to keep looking for channel additions !!!

May be TS has envisaged more money from premium channels...
As far as adding popular demanding channels. it seems TS has policy of delaying channels addition & keep monitoring market with wait-&-watch policy. But sometimes it backfires like what happened in case of Sony Six HD....
They have long term strategy for increasing ARPU & accordingly planning their moves...

There are some people (me and may be u who are not one of those) who like premium channels. If u take a look at D2h section then u will see members are slamming D2h for adding less popular channels instead of premium channels. So demand for premium channels will always be there. So as a service provider u have to keep everything balanced to run business successfully. And personally I think TS runs business more successfully than DishTV as their total revenue is greater than DishTV.

first thing for ts is earning more ARPU
second is being popular and market leader

then comes cost and
finally customer demand

There is a difference between between D2H & TS channel addition policy....D2H has max no of total channels & less premium channels. So the TS approach of doing business is different to keep increasing ARPU by way of innaovative ways like HD access fee.

If You Want Popular Channels Always Tata Sky And Airtel Is In Front But Unpopular D2h Is In Front

D2h Is A Cheap Dth So They WIll Face Money Crunch Anytime Till Most Popular Paid Channels Like HBO Premium Channels Not Available

Star Sports Available In All Dths Except Dish Tv We Consider Dish Tv Because Of Bad Relation Ship Between Star Group But Other Dths Like Sun Direct And Relience Will Have But D2h Not Updates Still

NinadG said:
There is a difference between between D2H & TS channel addition policy....D2H has max no of total channels & less premium channels. So the TS approach of doing business is different to keep increasing ARPU by way of innaovative ways like HD access fee.

I don't think TS HD access fee is an innovation of TS as all DTH charges this(which is reasonable as HD require more bandwidth), though they don't call it as HD access fee explicitly. For example D2h ROI pack

Gold entertainment HD pack(Rs 304)---- equivalent SD pack of Super Gold SD pack(RS 220). Price diff = Rs 84

Gold Sports HD pack(RS 388)----- equivalent SD pack of New Gold sports SD pack(RS 286).
Price Diff = RS 102

Platinum HD pack (RS 480)-------- equivalent Sd pack of Platinum pack (RS 395). Price diff = RS 85

It may happen that 1 or 2 channels mismatch between HD and SD but more or less they are almost 90 % equivalent.

In case of TS they charge it as Rs 100 flat on all base sd pack to get corresponding HD base pack.

Every DTH has +/- points like,
D2H has many regional channels,
ADTV has good PQ,
TS is famous for good CC,
Dishtv has nothing as of now, they just keep boasting as largest DTH.
So considering overall Indian market scenario, as of now, D2H seems to have good future.

Back
Top Bottom