Discussion Fix PQ Issues on Airtel Xstream box due to HDR

• Thread starter Siva
  • Start date
  • Replies: Replies 169
  • Views: Views 83,095
Dear Siva,

I beg to differ with you on HDR impacting overall experience and picture quality. On the contrary, i have LG nanocell uhd tv, supprting hdr, hlg as well as dolby vision and I'm pleasantly surprised with the hdr being available all the time on my xstream box. Perhaps a bit of tinkering / calibration is required if one finds luminance levels to be slightly on the higher side. But even the sdr content looks great with hdr on, colours have more depth and there are fewer darker spots on the screen. Even though the colours are in 8 bit, still they seem quite vivid when compared to regular sdr content. The conversion of non sdr to hdr is working out excellent for me. I've stopped watching content on official lg store apps 🙂 (hotstar, youtube, prime video, Netflix - only sdr content not the one with Dolby vision support, dlna steamed movies etc).

One more thing, hdr only kicked in for me once i changed resolution in display option on xstream box, to 4k. It was not available with default resolution. I truly and sincerely hope that this feature doesn't go away, as hdr can be turned off locally in every tv setting, by simply disabling deep colour / Enhanced signal (or whatever it is called in other TV manufacturer models), but can't be turned on the way it is available right now.

@parag - to disable HDR on your lg tv, you simply need to disable deep colour for respective hdmi port in your TV settings. Follow this path, settings - picture - additional settings - hdmi ultra hd deep colour - toggle off deep color for respective hdmi. But... Try with hdr first and calibrate your screen a bit, it should work wonders.

Cheers.
Recently I've purchased LG OLED Tv and airtel xstream box. On lg's default os, I use the standard picture setting which is totally perfect for me. HDR only gets on when watching hdr contents, but as soon as I jump into hdmi 4(Airtel), A notification pops up of HDR and brightness boosts up even in the home page lol, running the experience. Even the normal nonhdr 4k yt video is brightened. I have hdmi cec enabled in my Airtel box, should I disable it? What does it do? Also if I disable the deep colour settings in the LG TV picture settings will it fix the auto HDR on issue on airtel? Will it impact the normal default LG software contents also? Also will it completely turn off the HDR in airtel that is even the HDR videos will play in non HDR mode in Airtel after disabling the deep color setting? Thanks.

@DarkLord

Method 1 -
Recently Airtel gave 2.2.3 update to Xstream STB. This update completely removed HDR mode. So, this solved PQ issues for all as everything plays in SDR.

If your STB shows "No Updates Available" then contact CC or Airtel Presence on Twitter and ask them to roll latest update for your STB.They wil provides the latest patch to the STB within 24hrs.

Method 2 -
Turning off Deep color on hdmi setting. This will disables HDR mode on LG TV. So, with this STB detects the content in SDR mode. It fixes the PQ issues

Last edited:
@DarkLord

Method 1 -
Recently Airtel gave 2.2.3 update to Xstream STB. This update completely removed HDR mode. So, this solved PQ issues for all as everything plays in SDR.

If your STB shows "No Updates Available" then contact CC or Airtel Presence on Twitter and ask them to roll latest update for your STB.They wil provides the latest patch to the STB within 24hrs.

Method 2 -
Turning off Deep color on hdmi setting. This will disables HDR mode on LG TV. So, with this STB detects the content in SDR mode. It fixes the PQ issues

Method 1 didn't work. I checked my box is already on 2.2.3 but still HDR was turning ON automatically.
Method 2 worked absolutely Fine..And it also didn't affect my LG's WebOS HDR settings... But only downside is all videos are playing in NonHDR mode even thise which support it in airtel . Airtel should must push an update of dynamic HDR switching turning it off on nonhdr contents and turning it ON in which support it. :(

Last edited:
Hi everyone,
Is this issue resolved now? I updated the firmware and it still forces my LG tv to enable HDR. For the time, I have moved to Tata Sky. Please let me know if someone has found a fix.

Hi everyone,
Is this issue resolved now? I updated the firmware and it still forces my LG tv to enable HDR. For the time, I have moved to Tata Sky. Please let me know if someone has found a fix.
Me too moved to binge box

Hi everyone,
nope. still not fixed.. but temporary fix for LG Tv users is turning off the ultra hd deep something .

Method 1 didn't work. I checked my box is already on 2.2.3 but still HDR was turning ON automatically.
Method 2 worked absolutely Fine..And it also didn't affect my LG's WebOS HDR settings... But only downside is all videos are playing in NonHDR mode even thise which support it in airtel . Airtel should must push an update of dynamic HDR switching turning it off on nonhdr contents and turning it ON in which support it. :(
Please tell for Sony Bravia

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock