Discussion Fix PQ Issues on Airtel Xstream box due to HDR

• Thread starter Siva
  • Start date
  • Replies: Replies 169
  • Views: Views 82,308
Which internet provider are you using. I think most of the internet speeds have slowed down, may be deliberately by the ISP or because of work from home users are increased. My BSNL 50 Mbps FTTH connection is slow and sucking for the past one week. All due to the prevailing virus situation all over the world.
I am facing issue which which D2H channels so I do not think it is related to ISP speed. Not able to scroll or change channels whcih happens suddenly and got stuck for few seconds. I tried changing remote battrey also.

Update:
I seen some video in YouTube where they said long press option button(three line)
and 9 button.
It worked. My remote now working normally.

Hi,

This is for Samsung UHD (RU7470)+ Xstream box users:

Pls find below few settings where you can get clarity like Sony PQ in Samsung UDH TVs.

1. Disable HDMI CEC in both set top box as well as in TV.
2. In TV settings, set the picture mode to Standard (Movie mode is recommended in all reviews, pls don't go for that).
3. In Expert Setttings keep;
Backlight : 42
Brightness : 0
Contrast : 50
Sharpness : 10
Color : 25
Tint (G/R) L: 0
Apply Picture Settings : All Sources
Digital Clean View : Auto
Auto Motion Plus : Either "off" or select "Custom" and set as judder reduction to "3" (this is to reduce motion blurring/ghost effect)
Contrast Enhancer : Off
Colour Tone : Standard
Gamma : BT.1886
RGB Mode Only : Off
Color Space Settings : Native

I am happy with the above settings, expert can give your opinion.

I replaced my Sony KD-43X8500C 4k with Samsung 43RU7470 UHD just a year back, which I used it for exactly 2 years before it got worn off after warranty. Before that Sony 4k, i was using Sony FHD TV. From the time I switched form Sony to Samsung, I was not at all happy with the performance. Things got worse further after I swapped my Internet box to Xstream box under One Airtel Plan.

Just before this COVID lockdown I swapped my box for Rs. 500.

I thought of even switching to Tata Sky or other providers like Sun direct.

While I was using Sony TV, I kept the picture setting as "Cine Pro," so I followed the same for Samung TV also, by keeping the equivalent "Movie mode."

Until I switched my Internet box, I was okay with it. After switching to Xstream box, HD channels were like SD, SD channels were even worse. Just yesterday, I started calibrating and found the above settings looked great with more clarity and sharpness almost equivalent to Cine Pro settings of Sony.

Coming to Sound, I was not able to do anything as Xstream box only supports HDMI ARC. I have optical output, but still not bad. Kept this settings as,
Sound Output : Optical
In Expert Settings,
Digital Output Audio Format : PCM
Digital Output Audio Delay : 100
Dolby Atmos Compatibility - Enable
Sound Feedback - High =>With these audio settings, you cannot expect the sound as good as Internet TV box output, but will be okay.

My findings, Internet TV set top box has the best video as well as audio quality. Only minus is its ugly design. Airtel could have kept on adding its software updates with Internet TV set top box itself. Hope further SW updates for Xstream would be much better.

Last edited:
That's too much. So, there is no way to disable it via TV software! Unfortunately, I haven't found a way to disable it in the STB. You are probably left with the option of trying an old cable.
Same HDR picture Quality issue with my TCL 4K tv. Just upgraded from hd box and PQ is worsen than earlier. Confused what to do next.

Amazon prime not providing HD quality picture via xstream box here in kolkata..anyone facing this issue??

Hi Siva,

Thanks for eloborate mail, exactly my problem statement is same, I upgraded to Airtel Xtream box 2days back, from airtel HD box.
the PQ quality in Xtream 4K box is worse.

I have purchased new Sony 55 X7002G 4K TV. I tried your above steps - to disable HDR video setting, firest I reverted HDMI port setting to Standard, then used new/old HDMI cables with Xtream STB. The moment STB is deducted, it force changes picture mode as 'HDR video'.

I tried 2 times removing all cables / factory reset/etc. still it picks this way. No resolution.

With 4K TV I feel Airtel Xtreme box is completely disappointing, their tech support is pathetic, just circling it back to me, had I known these issues wouldnt have upgraded Airtel HD STB. Feeling cheated by them !

Please suggest if you had tried other methods

UPDATED: DT:26/FEB/2020

After escalating with Airtel_Presence / Nodal, they called me few times to say that technically all are ok with Xtream box, no such PQ quality issues. Further they said that this is the best available HD box today. As a user I clearly see this produces average PQ than the earlier normal HD STB of airtel which was way better

Also Iam noticing from yesterday - the audio lag is there (between audio/video) on OTT apps (Prime/hotstar etc)

Finally decided no point in raising this - I only wasted a Rs.2250 on a technical upgrade with AIrtel Xtreme box - regret this decision, & would move on to TataSky during next month renewal - after all PQ quality is imp for me on a 4K TV invested at Rs.70K

So guys, be careful if you plan to buy or upgrade Airtel Xtreme box on a 4K TV

Hi Siva,
Understand the pain. Almost we are all sufferer. Understanding why its is cheaper than Tatasky binge+. Cheap and compromised product.
Thanks
Anand S
Understand

That's too much. So, there is no way to disable it via TV software! Unfortunately, I haven't found a way to disable it in the STB. You are probably left with the option of trying an old cable.
Hi,

By any luck are you able to find a solution to this problem? I purchased xtream box on 19th May and now I am struggling with it.

Hi...please raise issue using tweet @Airtel_Presence. They are selectively pushing new Firmware Version: 1.1.0-20010613 to the users only who are facing picture quality issues with Xtreme box.

Hi...please raise issue using tweet @Airtel_Presence. They are selectively pushing new Firmware Version: 1.1.0-20010613 to the users only who are facing picture quality issues with Xtreme box.
Many times tweets related xstream box pq issue but airtel not solved...dont think this firmware( 1.1.0-20010613)provide every customer.

I raised the issue mentioning picture quality and got response on Twitter as well as got call also. After call, they created ticket and call was assigned to engineer. After visit by engineer, he has to ask area TSM to raise issue internally to backend team for picture quality issue and request for firmware update. Once backend team receives request from Airtel TSM only, they will push the firmware to your STB. This issue is being faced only for TVs which does not have HDR Mode settings option. My TV is having this option so I am not actually facing picture quality issue and just wanted to get firmware updated.

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock