Malayalam Movies Updates

• Thread starter Thread starter Rajkumar
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies: Replies 782
  • Views Views: Views 75,436
Second Part Of Philips And The Monkey Pen Is On The Cards...

Philips And The Monkey Pen, which was one of the finest films of the year 2013, is all set to have a second part. The film that marked the directorial debut of Shanil Muhammed and Rojin Thomas, was a critical as well as commercial success.
According to a report given by Times Of India, the upcoming sequel of the film would retain almost the entire team of the original. Friday Film House, which produced the prequel would produce the sequel as well.

Reportedly, the upcoming sequel would be the first of its kind, as the film would follow the real time growth of the characters. While Philips And The Monkey Pen narrated certain events happening in the life of a group of students studying in the fifth Grade , the upcoming sequel would narrate the events and problems faced by the same group of children, who are now studying in seventh Grade.

If reports are to be beleieved, the film is in its scripting stages will go on the floors by the month of January, next year. Jayasurya, Remya Nambeeshan, Sanoop Santhosh, Gaurav Menon, Vijay Babu etc., would be seen playing important roles in the sequel as well.

WOW! A Second Part Of Philips And The Monkey Pen Is On The Cards! - Filmibeat

Pulimurugan US Box Office: Breaks The Record Of Premam...
6bd23f7cd06187427765ae90302611aa.jpg

Pulimurugan, the Mohanlal movie has succeeded in impressing the masses and conquering the box office. Now, the movie has also managed to break the record of Premam, at the US box office.

When Premam collected more than 235k Dollars from its lifetime run at the US box office, Pulimurugan went on to collect about 236k Dollars just within the first three weeks of its release.

Reportedly, the total gross collection of Pulimurugan at the US box office is almost 2 Crore rupees. Thus, the Mohanlal movie has emerged as the highest grossing Malayalam movie of US box office.

Pulimurugan had recently become the highest ever grosser of the UK box office, by breaking the record of Dileep's Two Countries. The movie has crossed 1-Crore mark at the UK box office, in just 5 days.

The Mohanlal movie has also emerged as the highest grossing Malayalam movie at the New Zealand box office. It is also expected to surpass the record of Rajinikanth's Kabali, at the UAE-GCC market.

Within the first 35 days of its release, Pulimurugan made a total gross collection of about 105 Crores from the worldwide market, thus becoming the highest ever grosser of Malayalam movie industry.

Pulimurugan US Box Office: Breaks The Record Of Premam - Filmibeat

I’m waiting for an exciting script in Malayalam: Karthi...

His elder brother Suriya already enjoys a massive fan base in Kerala and Karthi's recent releases prove that he's also gaining a foothold among the Malayali audience. We caught up with the Tamil actor who was in Kochi recently.
Bashful as always, the actor is a natural when it comes to putting people at ease, much like his onscreen characters. Karthi talks to us about Malayalam film plans, his upcoming movie with Mani Ratnam and why the project with Dulquer Salmaan did not happen...
You made your Telugu debut with Oopiri earlier this year followed by Kaashmora. Your Kaatru Veliyidai also has a Telugu release. How important is it for actors to cross over to other industries now?
Good films work everywhere such as Lal sir's, Mammootty sir's, Nivin's or Dulquer's. They work irrespective of language. When there is a strong content, it is either remade or released in different languages simultaneously. It's important to take big budget films such as Kaashmora to other industries because it's got potential and a certain visual grandeur that would appeal to all audiences.
When's your Malayalam debut happening?
I have been meeting a lot of people from the Malayalam film industry. And many directors are coming to me with scripts, but nothing has materialised yet. Acting in another language is not easy. When I did Oopiri in Telugu, it was quite a challenge because I was acting in a language I was not comfortable in. In Malayalam, I am still waiting for that exciting script.
Your recent release Kaashmora had you trying many things and multiple looks...
It's a multi-genre film, it's got horror and predominantly it's a comedy. It's also got significant historical elements. All this was exciting for me. I looked at it from the point of view of a child. You know the stories that we used to listen to when we were children. This movie had all those elements and it was a long time since I did a fantasy. Plus, I am trying a double act after a long time and Kaashmora required me in two appearances- Raj Nayak in a historical look and Kaashmora as a black magic practitioner in the current era.
It's not a movie in which the two characters look alike but we went ahead.
Your brother Suriya appeared in four looks in 24. Did you get any advice from him?
Nothing of that sort. 24 started after Kaashmora. Unlike 24, Kaashmora is more of a commercial entertainer. It has an easy plot to understand.
You are now shooting for Mani Ratnam's Kaatru Veliyidai...
Yes, it's a love story and I play a fighter pilot. I don't think any director would have imagined me playing such as role. But Mani sir somewhere had the guts to push me in that direction.
You started out as an assistant director to Mani Ratnam. How has that helped you as an actor?
It helped me get familiar with the shooting atmosphere because you work with all departments and get to understand what each one is doing. It also helps you understand what the director is trying to tell an actor. He might have a thousand things running through his mind when he's giving the actor this one instruction. Now when a director gives me an instruction, I am able to understand more than what he is saying.
You are now also giving your inputs to Mani Ratnam. Life has come full circle?
Yes, definitely. Working with Mani sir is special because you are going back to school - from the time when you didn't understand anything to now where you are deciding things in the film and how it is going to be. And Mani sir is a man of few words but ensures that the actor has a role in the protagonist's performance. If you get a pat on the back from him, that's awesome and you wouldn't sleep that night.
You were also supposed to do a Mani Ratnam movie which had Dulquer...
We couldn't immediately start off with Mani sir's film then as I had films to finish. I was doing both Thozha and Kaashmora. Both these films were supposed to release last year but both got pushed.
As an actor you have been very choosy...
I do one project at a time. My criteria for selecting movies are that I have to like it and it should be challenging for me. I signed Kaashmora and Komban a month apart. The latter had a unique storyline about a son-in-law and father-in-law and that interested me. As for Kaashmora, it had something unique to offer everyone in the crew.
The cameraman got to showcase the past and present, the art director had to represent how a palace changes with time and Nayanthara played a princess for the first time. I look for that uniqueness in every film that I do.
But Kaatru Veliyidai is Mani sir's film. So, I didn't have to think twice about it.

nayanthara: I’m waiting for an exciting script in Malayalam: Karthi - Times of India

Adoor Gopalakrishnan slams derogatory television content...

Veteran filmmaker Adoor Gopalakrishnan has come down heavily on the content screened on Malayalam television channels. The national-award winner expressed his disapproval of small screen shows in an event organised as a part of 60th Kerala Piravi celebrations at Trivandrum on Monday .
"There is no censorship for the derogatory content shown on televisions. From scenes showing cruel ways of killing someone to horror, channels celebrate it all by showing them even in promos between shows. All these pass the wrong messages to the viewers. It seems Malayalam channels are competing with each other as to who would broadcast the most substandard programme."
However, the filmmaker expressed his dislike of censorship. "Though I have done only 12 films in total none of them faced censorship issues. Actually there is no need of censorship," he added.
Commenting on the content in television commercials, he said, "I was saddened to see a jewellery advertisement recently in which a small girl looks amazed with a 'whoa' at a woman who is fully decked up with gold jewellery. These ads pass on a false message, encouraging small girls to get attracted towards gold ornaments at an early age," he adds.
Meanwhile, the director also mentioned that he supports the special screening for film personalities at the upcoming IFFK as it is a normal phenomenon in international film festivals.
He says, "I welcome the act of special screening for film personalities. In the international podium there is a section 'Trade and Press' where the delegates under it can watch the films separately. I feel that the movies screened at festivals are a must watch for film persons compared to the general public."

http://m.timesofindia.com/entertain...y-television-content/articleshow/55416735.cms

Dulquer Salmaan Wraps Up Jomonte Suviseshangal...

Dulquer Salmaan, the charming actor wrapped up his upcoming project Jomonte Suviseshangal. The actor announced the news and shared his working experience with Sathyan Anthikad and team, through his official Facebook page.
The actor, who revealed that director Sathyan Anthikad was his childhood hero, stated that he is an even more bigger hero for him now. It was a total learning experience for Dulquer Salmaan.

According to the actor, the shooting was filled with fun, positivity, and best jokes. Dulquer feels sad that such a wonderful experience has finally come to an end. He specially mentioned most of the team members in his post.

As per the sources close to the project, Jomonte Suviseshangal is not a usual Sathyan Anthikad film. According to the reports, the movie will not have any similarities with the past outings of the director.

Dulquer Salmaan essays the titular character Jomon in Jomonte Suviseshangal, which is scripted by Dr. Iqbal Kuttippuram. Anupama Parameshwaran and Aishwarya Rajesh essay the female leads in the movie.

Mukesh, Innocent, Manobala, Vinu Mohan, Muthumani, Irshad, Jacob Gregory, Indu Thambi, Rasna Pavithran, etc. appear in the other key roles. Jomonte Suviseshangal is produced by Full Moon Cinema.

Dulquer Salmaan Wraps Up Jomonte Suviseshangal - Filmibeat

Parvathi Ratheesh is a flower girl in her next film...

Green-eyed beauty Parvathi Ratheesh, who played the Tamil-speaking Sri Lankan girl in Madhuranaranga, has chosen yet another unconventional role for her next project. In the film Kallayi F M, directed by debutant Vineesh Millenium, the actress will be seen as a thattam sporting girl who runs a flower shop. A comedy musical, the movie is mostly set in Kallayi in Kozhikode district of Kerala.
The film's director says, "Parvathi's character Saira Banu is the daughter of a diehard Mohammed Rafi fan, played by veteran actor Sreenivasan. She is a bold girl, though she appears traditional and sports a thattam too. She is quite independent as well." The director says he picked Parvathi for the role as she looked quite the part, with the headscarf on! "Her character also has a romantic track in the film with Drishyam-fame actor Aneesh G Menon," Vineesh says. Sreenath Bhasi plays her brother in the movie, as a young generation hip-hop music fan.
Parvathi says what interested her about the role was how Saira Banu is a regular Muslim girl, who, however, does her bit in her own simple ways to run the family. "She sells flowers for a living and is a simpleton, but is quite an interesting character in other ways. I can't reveal much about her at this point, though," she says. Speaking the popular Kozhikode slang for the role didn't prove a challenge for Parvathi, who grew up in Chennai. The actress says, "Yes, it wasn't easy but I have many friends who hail from this part of Kerala. So it was a cakewalk for me. I could easily incorporate the intricacies in my lines and it was fun too," she says.
The movie also has Kalabhavan Shajon, Kottayam Nazir, Sunil Sughada and Krishnaprabha in pivotal roles. Mumbai and Dubai are also two of its major locations.

http://m.timesofindia.com/entertainment/malayalam/movies/news/Parvathi-Ratheesh-is-a-flower-girl-in-her-next-film/articleshow/55450676.cms

Film exhibitors and producers at war...

The film exhibitors and film producers of Malayalam cinema have often had issues with each other. The latest is a disagreement over the division of the revenue from theatre collections. As of now, the collections of normal theatres are divided on a 60:40 ratio; 60 going to the producers and distributors, and 40 to the exhibitors. This happens in the first week of release, and in the second and third weeks, it changes to 55:45 and 50:50 respectively.
Now, the exhibitors have come up with a demand that the division should be 50:50. "Out of a film ticket, 20% anyway goes as tax. The producers take 60%. Our demand is simple, we want the same terms as that of multiplexes in malls, which is 50:50. This is nothing new and we have been asking for this for the past two-and-a-half years," says Exhibitors Federation president P V Basheer.
The producers, on the other hand, claim that they are already overburdened with taxes and will not be able to accept the new terms. "We already have a lot of taxes —entertainment tax, service tax and many more. Theatres have none of these burdens and until recently, they used to use the same old chairs as when the theatres were built," says Alwin Antony, producer.
However, the exhibitors say the theatres are all on par with multiplexes in malls now. "Around 80% of theatres have renovated to almost the same standards as malls — 2k, 4k, AC, pushback seats and toilets have all been introduced. We also have exclusive car parking, all building norms and fire safety, which many malls lack."
As of now, the producers have taken a stand that they won't be giving the films to the exhibitors until the issue is resolved. "We have decided that we won't be supplying the films and will stop all shoot that hasn't started already."
Although the producers claim that the exhibitors have refused all requests for a discussion or meeting, the latter say they are open to any meeting, at any level.
If the issue remains unresolved, the release of all Christmas films including the Tamil film Singham 3 will be affected.

http://m.timesofindia.com/entertain...and-producers-at-war/articleshow/55450948.cms

KPAC Lalitha will essay the central role in Devayanam...

Actress KPAC Lalitha, who has enchanted the Malayali audience with her awe inspiring performance, will next be seen essaying a central character in Sukesh Roy's Devayanam. The film deals with Thanatophobia, which is the extreme fear of death, and the actress will be essaying the role of an elderly from Kalpathi, who goes through the same thought process.
Actor Kailash will be seen in a prominent role in the film, which also has Malavika Mohan, Suraj Venjaramoodu, Neenu Kurup, Devi Ajith and Baby Akshara.

http://m.timesofindia.com/entertain...al-role-in-Devayanam/articleshow/55452121.cms

'Achayans' starts rolling...

It has been reported that actor Prakash Raj and Unni Mukundan will be seen essaying pivotal roles in the film 'Achayans', which has Jayaram and director Kannan Thamarakkulam teaming up again after 'Aadupuliyattam'.
The film started rolling on November 16 and the initial portions will be shot in Edakochi, and Wagamon, Theni and Hyderabad will be other shooting spots.

http://m.timesofindia.com/entertain...ayans-starts-rolling/articleshow/55452203.cms

Siddique And Lal Celebrate 25 Years Of Godfather...

25 years have passed since the release of the evergreen movie Godfather, which is still among the favourites of Malayalam film audiences. The film, which was the third directorial venture of Siddique-Lal duo, was a resounding success at the box office.
Interestingly, while the movie is celebrating its silver jubilee, the duo are working together in Siddique's upcoming directorial venture Fukri, in which Lal plays a pivotal role.

In fact, Siddique, Lal and the entire team of Fukri, which includes actors like Jayasurya, Prayaga Martin and Anu Sithara, celebrated 25 years of Godfather on the sets of the film, today. Siddique and Lal marked the anniversary of the film by cutting a specially made cake. Actor Siddique, who played an important role in Godfather was also present during the function.

39f2e8039e305d5e142b1a4e8f15d4ab.jpg

Godfather, which released in the year 1991 was produced by Appachan under the banner of Swargachithra. The film created an unbeatable record by running in a theatre continuously for 417 days.

The film had an ensemble star cast featuring actors like N N Pillai, Mukesh, Innocent, Thilakan, Jagadish, Kanaka, Philomina, Bheeman Raghu, Siddique, Janardanan, KPAC Lalitha etc., in important roles. Godfather was remade to Hindi as Hulchul.

Siddique And Lal Celebrate 25 Years Of Godfather! - Filmibeat

Back
Top Bottom