Discussion Satellite rights of Hindi movies

Star gold and Zee cinema are somewhat showing hindi movies. Rest sony max, sony wah, cineplex,are most time south movies and bahubali is still number 1 while it is now become a normal movie in south channels.
Will Sony be launching second movie channel? Zee has and pictures, and star has movies ok

Will Sony be launching second movie channel? Zee has and pictures, and star has movies ok
Either Sony should give priority to hindi movies in their movie channels or should launch a movie channel for original hindi movies like Star gold select. Chance for Sony to launch another sub brand like &,ok, etc are less.

I heard it from some unofficial source that Sony is planning to launch another urban focused hindi movie channel Sony Prime as they are clear leader in this gener with Sony Max & Sony Wah.

Star had already lost its position to Zee in Tamil abd Bangla regional market, as well as National Hindi entertainment market.
Bangla was only for 1 week. Star Jalsha and Asianet have always been the BAAP (Father) of Bangla and Malayalam markets, respectively.

But the growth of Zee in almost all the markets (including Bangla) is astounding.
  • Zee Anmol is the No. 1 FTA channel. Star Bharat could not hold on to its place. Zee TV is performing far better than Colors (the next most popular non-FTA Hindi GEC).
  • Zee Tamil is the only stiff competition to Star Vijay. No other channel ever tried. I am not talking about Sun TV here as it is too far ahead.
  • A struggling channel (Zee Telugu) has now got high ratings after the launch of HD. The biggest loser is Gemini TV.
  • Even though Star Jalsha is the king, Zee Bangla has always had a significant viewership, unlike Marathi, where Colors Marathi and Star Pravah have too small a viewership compared to Zee Marathi.
  • Zee Sarthak is the king of Odisha.
  • Rebranding Zee Studio to &flix has already started to bring in the ratings. (As far as I am concerned, this is a rebrand and not a new channel. Please don't have any discusssion on this.)

Last edited:
I'm wondering how Sony max is number one still, without incorporating many recent hits in it's library. I think it's surviving with south movies
Star gold and Zee cinema are somewhat showing hindi movies. Rest sony max, sony wah, cineplex,are most time south movies and bahubali is still number 1 while it is now become a normal movie in south channels.

Tl;dr (i.e., summary): Sony is not making use of its big library of Hindi films but all the channels (SD and HD) show only South films.

We were crying in 2013-2014 that Sony has no channel to show their huge library of films (including YRF). Everything was dumped on Sony Max. One channel (that too not in HD) cannot handle everything. Star Gold and Zee Cinema were there in HD but not Max. Stupidly, when Sony Max 2 was launched, it was made a classic channel.

To be frank, at the time SET (not Max) would be the one premiering these movies. Only Baahubali was premiered on Max (out of the big films). Since SET HD was there, at least they could be watched in HD somehow. But when Sony Max HD was launched in Dec. 2015, SET completely stopped showing movies.

Things were excellent in 2016 as Sony Max HD was showing latest blockbusters, older films (2001-2010), niche films (they had a block called Friday Select) as well as classic films (generally aired on Max 2). We were all happy. Even though Sony Max SD dedicated itself to South movies, HD had all sorts of Hindi movies.

But since late 2017 Sony Max HD has also started to stuff itself with these ghatiya South movies. I am saying that Zee Cinema HD/Star Gold HD definitely have South films (only SG Select HD and Cineplex HD are 100% Hindi), but they do not give priority to them. They want to show Hindi films first. Sony is not like that. Sony has the BIGGEST collection of South films. So they want to show only South, which is very irritating for us.

Try to find where to watch smaller films such as Khamoshiyan, Hamari Adhuri Kahani or even the more recent Tumhari Sulu. You will not be able to do so (but on Max international feed it is possible). And even though they have the exclusive rights to Yash Raj. However they will not show anything from Yash Raj except Dhoom 3, Sultan and TZH/ETT. You are not going to find Ishaqzaade/Shuddh Desi Romance/Daawat-e-Ishq/Mere Brother Ki Dulhan (all from YRF) on Indian TV any time soon.

Last edited:
Bangla was only for 1 week. Star Jalsha and Asianet have always been the BAAP (Father) of Bangla and Malayalam markets, respectively.

But the growth of Zee in almost all the markets (including Bangla) is astounding.
  • Zee Anmol is the No. 1 FTA channel. Star Bharat could not hold on to its place. Zee TV is performing far better than Colors (the next most popular non-FTA Hindi GEC).
  • Zee Tamil is the only stiff competition to Star Vijay. No other channel ever tried. I am not talking about Sun TV here as it is too far ahead.
  • A struggling channel (Zee Telugu) has now got high ratings after the launch of HD. The biggest loser is Star Maa.
  • Even though Star Jalsha is the king, Zee Bangla has always had a significant viewership, unlike Marathi, where Colors Marathi and Star Pravah have too small a viewership compared to Zee Marathi.
  • Zee Sarthak is the king of Odisha.
  • Rebranding Zee Studio to &flix has already started to bring in the ratings. (As far as I am concerned, this is a rebrand and not a new channel. Please don't have any discusssion on this.)
Big Ganga is also market leader in Bhojpuri category.

I heard it from some unofficial source that Sony is planning to launch another urban focused hindi movie channel Sony Prime as they are clear leader in this gener with Sony Max & Sony Wah.
Hopefully. They must launch in HD to compete with Star Gold Select.

Last edited:
Hopefully. They must launch in HD to compete with Star Gold Selec.
But it's Sony bro, they are too much lazy to launch new channels. Sony PIX 2 SD/HD till now not be launched while they got licence about 2 years ago. Sony Marathi is coming, logo is also revealed, but till now no news about its launch. Sony Kannada is in planning stage, hopefully it may take 5years to launch. Sony Wildlife (not sure it's real or just rumor) is also in planning stage.

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock