Star TV replaces Sony TV as Yash Raj Films broadcaster?

Distributed by YRF as at that point they were Dharma's distribution partner
Dharma production movies only Theatrical distribution done by Yash Raj films
Some years back Sony - Dharam Production exclusive satellite Rights tie up ended
Now Dharma Production sold satellite rights to different channels
Finally Sony lost Dharma Production now Yash Raj films Satellite Rights Deal lost

Last edited:
Dharam production movies only Theatrical distribution done by Yash Raj films
Some years back Sony - Dharam Production exclusive satellite Rights tie up ended
Now Dharam Production sold satellite rights to different channels
Finally Sony lost Dharam Production now Yash Raj films Satellite Rights Deal lost

Yes, tie up ended some years back but as i have stated that back in 2008 YRF had the contract which is why Sony got its rights. It has been almost 11 years now and Sony has still has it, maybe rights period still not expired after which Dharma will get power to select new broadcaster or YRF has permanent ownership of rights for this movie which means Star will get it soon

Dharam production movies only Theatrical distribution done by Yash Raj films
Now Dharam Production sold satellite rights to different channels
Finally Sony lost Dharam Production now Yash Raj films Satellite Rights Deal lost
Its Dharma Productions.

I guess actor Dharmendra owns Dharam Productions.

Off topic: if a movie is produced for 10 crore and a distribution company bought it and the film collected 100 crore. Then how that amount got shared between production company, distribution company,theatres and others? I want to check whether my knowledge is right or not.

Fan, Swades, New York, Dostana, Fanaa, Salaam Namaste etc.
So you are interested in mid-2000s movies. :) FYI, Swades has been with Star since its premiere in 2005! :skd: There was a campaign called Project Swades.
Source

As @Rd22 pointed out, Dostana was produced by Dharma and distributed by YRF. However, Bachna Ae Haseeno was produced by YRF. Both were released in 2008. Also, Tashan and RNBDJ are YRF productions of 2008.
Dharma production movies only Theatrical distribution done by Yash Raj films
Now Dharma Production sold satellite rights to different channels
Finally Sony lost Dharma Production now Yash Raj films Satellite Rights Deal lost
SOTY was the last Dharma film to go to Sony (not including Baahubali which was distributed by Dharma). In fact SOTY was directed by Karan himself. Given his friendship with Raj Nayak, it is no wonder SOTY2 was picked up by Colors. At the same time it is surprising that SOTY went to Sony in the first place.

Last edited:
So you are interested in mid-2000s movies. :) FYI, Swades has been with Star since its premiere in 2005! :skd: There was a campaign called Project Swades.
Source

As @Rd22 pointed out, Dostana was produced by Dharma and distributed by YRF. However, Bachna Ae Haseeno was produced by YRF. Both were released in 2008. Also, Tashan and RNBDJ are YRF productions of 2008.

SOTY was the last Dharma film to go to Sony (not including Baahubali which was distributed by Dharma). In fact SOTY was directed by Karan himself. Given his friendship with Raj Nayak, it is no wonder SOTY2 was picked up by Colors. At the same time it is surprising that SOTY went to Sony in the first place.

SOTY went to Sony bcoz YRF has its distribution rights , their tie up with Dharma ended in 2013 or 14.

Swades was with Star from 2004 to 2008 or 9. Later UTV Movies picked it up and now SRK has rights which have been picked by Star alongwith many of his other films... This will come into effect in 2020

SOTY went to Sony bcoz YRF has its distribution rights , their tie up with Dharma ended in 2013 or 14.

Swades was with Star from 2004 to 2008 or 9. Later UTV Movies picked it up and now SRK has rights which have been picked by Star alongwith many of his other films... This will come into effect in 2020
As reported previously on DDF:
In a major deal, a satellite channel had bought rights of SRK’s 22 films
The list includes Swades, Om Shanti Om, Dilwale, Phir Bhi Dil Hai Hindustani, Chennai Express, Happy New Year and Dear Zindagi among others. “It is one of the biggest deals in Bollywood. The price we are hearing is unheard of because some of them are old films as well like Paheli, Billu, Chamatkaar, Anjaam, Ram Jaane, etc.
22 Shah Rukh Khan films bought at one go

@Joyanaranha , @JollyLNB bro any idea who got it :huh:, I think it's vaicom
My money is on Viacom. Already Zee has acquired a number of Salman movies from Star and now Viacom wants to do the same with SRK. Remember that it bought a bunch of Karan Johar-directed movies (except My Name Is Khan) from Star, all starring SRK. Surprisingly the rights for some movies are already with Viacom.

MovieExisting network
SwadesStar (I think; Star Gold premiered it in 2004/5. Source)
Om Shanti OmViacom (originally Star)
PBDHHZee or maybe Sony (Max 2 if at all)
Chennai ExpressZee
Happy New YearZee
DilwaleSony
Dear ZindagiZee
BilluViacom

It is shocking that Viacom or anyone will try to go for Chennai Express which is as much linked to Zee Cinema as Baahubali is to SET Max.

P.S. Swades premiere on Star Gold in 2004/2005:

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock