Tata Play HD Box New - Only PCM & Auto options in Sound Settings

• Thread starter Thread starter arhun
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies: Replies 47
  • Views Views: Views 8,926
I think the main concern should be,
1) The stb does not send any audio out from the rca ports if Auto is selected in audio section.
2) The stb fails to send Dolby audio to TV/Receiver via HDMI when Auto is selected in the audio section.

The 2nd point should be a major concern as other boxes can do bitstreaming.
So far I know the box sends Dolby audio signal when auto is selected but it does not show up in the epg or menu items but if you check in the soundbar signal info it will show Dolby ..in order to save cost they have removed official Dolby certification..seems they are following dishtv strategy and going that path 🥲

Is any licences needs for Bitstreaming of audio...maybe it's a bypass for licencing from Dolby or DTS .. although Bitstreaming is used by Dolby and DTS perhaps a smart way of bypassing Dolby licences..
@redlofredlof ur thoughts

Is any licences needs for Bitstreaming of audio...maybe it's a bypass for licencing from Dolby or DTS .. although Bitstreaming is used by Dolby and DTS perhaps a smart way of bypassing Dolby licences..
@redlofredlof ur thoughts
Bitstreaming simply means sending raw audio in its original format via HDMI. So if raw audio is dts, dd, dd+, dtsHDma, dolbyTruHD or pcm and its sent without any modification to the TV or receiver or sound bar then we call this process as butstreaming.
To use Dolby hardware the manufacturer needs to get their hardware certified. Cerification costs money. Which increases the cost of the hardware. That's why you will see manufacturers proudly posting Dolby logo on their hardware when it's certified.
Doing so without verification will land then in trouble.
So if a user is able to get Dolby audio from the new receiver over HDMI then TP is not really obligated to change the box. The user needs to upgrade their TV or sound bar.
Keep in mind that the TP Dolby certified box will only decode the Dolby audio and convert it into 2 channel analog audio and send it out to either your TV (as digital PCMsignal) or the 2 RCA connectors at the back of the receiver.

I think the main concern should be,
1) The stb does not send any audio out from the rca ports if Auto is selected in audio section.
2) The stb fails to send Dolby audio to TV/Receiver via HDMI when Auto is selected in the audio section.

The 2nd point should be a major concern as other boxes can do bitstreaming.
Any product with Dolby audio support must acquire Dolby license and get it printed on the product. Tata Play boxes do not support Dolby audio. Even tata Play has removed 5.1 surround logo, hence it only supports 2.0 or 2.1 suond. Nowadays other than Airtel, no one is providing Dolby support in STB. I have complained and took up the issue at next level and they replaced my box with a New Tata Sky Dolby enabled STB. If they were reluctant to take any action, I could have approached consumer forum or change my connection.

Choice is yours buddy.

Last edited:
IMG-20240913-101458.jpg

IMG-20240913-101857.jpg

IMG-20240913-101749.jpg

Back
Top Bottom