“We are in the business of trading in content, not transponders”

JitendraKumar

Contributor
Reaction score
Want to know what secret sauce Tata Sky MD & CEOHarit Nagpaluses to make his strategy work? Hear him talk about the need to offer more services to customers. “The industry needs to build a model around ARPU [average revenue per user],” he says.

Nagpal does not believe in halting the flow of money for building Tata Sky as the ultimate direct-to-home (DTH) brand in the country, enjoying the highest ARPU and offering premium value-added services. He is putting inRs.900 crore (Rs.9 billion) for upgrading from MPEG-2 to MPEG-4 so that Tata Sky can accommodate more channels and make up for the transponder space crunch.

Nagpal believes that DTH should play a more defining role in shaping up the business model for distribution platform operators. “Benchmarking DTH cost with cable is wrong. Why should DTH go back to medieval times? Cable needs to embrace the cost structures and transparencies of the DTH model,” he says.

According to him, consolidation among the DTH players in terms of mergers and acquisitions is out of the horizon at this stage.

Read more @ "We are in the business of trading in content, not transponders" | TelevisionPost.com

TATA(SKY needs to increase the prices of the package also they needs to raise the prices of FTA channels by which they will get more ARPU.

TATA(SKY Best in the World :eek:hya

You were annoyed at ISRO (Indian Space Research Organisation) not providing Tata Sky more transponders and living up to its promises. What is the status now?

We are in discussions with them to find a long-term solution. But if you ask whether we are pondering legal action, let me tell you that that route is currently on pause mode.

Re: RE: “We are in the business of trading in content, not transponders”

Anirudha Das said:
TATA(SKY needs to increase the prices of the package also they needs to raise the prices of FTA channels by which they will get more ARPU.

TATA(SKY Best in the World :eek:hya

Why don't u ask TRAI to remove cap regarding price of Channel?

I think TS is trying to move away from ISRO and get Sufficiant space from another sat.. may be from ST2 ?

Re: RE: “We are in the business of trading in content, not transponders”

Mr.Kumarbhai said:
I think TS is trying to move away from ISRO and get Sufficiant space from another sat.. may be from ST2 ?

Not possible now to move different sat, not a easy task.

Mr.Kumarbhai said:

how will they adjust with st2 coz st2 is at 88 E and tata sky is at 83 E

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock