• Replies: Replies 21
  • Views: Views 8,665

ratedr

Contributor
Reaction score
MUMBAI: A press release hit indiantelevision.com
yesterday disclosing how US chip company
Broadcom had got a massive order to supply
standard definition MPEG-4 set top boxes (STBs)
to Tata Sky. A simple release right. But it surely
got the goose of Tata Sky managing director Harit Nagpal. "This entire exercise is
costing Tata Sky about Rs
100 crore," was Nagpal's
admission, when
indiantelevision.com
called him up. "We are replacing close to 5-6
million MPEG-2 SD STBs at
no cost to consumers
over the next year. All of
this is coming in from
internal accruals." Nagpal says the DTH operator
normally supplies about
three million STBs a year for new acquisitions and churn. "This year we
will be doing about 9-10 million STBs," says he. The volumes have forced him to bring in
emergency teams to make sure they install
500,000 STBs a month (made by Huawei and
Humax apart from other international STB
makers). This is apart from the regular service
teams, which handle regular installation and problems. "For us even at Tata Sky it is a massive exercise
and we have been working on it for the past
three months and have just started the rollout,"
he reveals.for full story source Indiantelevision.com's > Digital Edge> Why Tata Sky's Harit Nagpal is pained about the MPEG-4 STB rollout

Re: RE: Why Tata Sky's Harit Nagpal is pained about the MPEG-4 STB rollout

ratedr said:
"We are replacing close to 5-6 million MPEG-2 SD STBs at no cost to consumers over the next year. All of this is coming in from internal accruals."

That's a great great decision by TataSky :clap

Swyped from Galaxy Note using Tapatalk 4 Beta

"We have been adding channels in a phased manner; the process will now be accelerated with the MPEG-4 STB. By June-July next year we should be able to revise our channel offerings to consumers," said Nagpal.

What crap. :angry So no new channels for 1 year. :wall So TS is in deep trouble then. He should seriously sue ISRO asap to get them to allocate extra TP's.

I think ts sue on isro soon and we shall know what is truth behind this delay. Because when airtel move from insat 4c to ses7, reason is unknown because insat 4c is 12 ku band satellite.[we know that insat 4c have several glitches and was lost during launch hence its life is shortan but this was not official by isro till date.] so atleast india will know where is gsat 8 and gsat 10, what are doing these satellites in sky?

Upgrading the boxes will give me more capacity for 12-14 channels. thats it ? iam expecting double channel count which we have now ?

techmania said:
What crap. :angry So no new channels for 1 year. :wall So TS is in deep trouble then. He should seriously sue ISRO asap to get them to allocate extra TP's.

What do you think, they had plan since last year? No no, tata sky force to do this migration because of pressure continues from customer. They well know that isro is unable to provide requested tp in time limit. Also mr. Nagpal added that channels will be added in phase manner so channels will be add one by one.

SUNIEL said:
What do you think, they had plan since last year? No no, tata sky force to do this migration because of pressure continues from customer. They well know that isro is unable to provide requested tp in time limit. Also mr. Nagpal added that channels will be added in phase manner so channels will be add one by one.

yes sunil bro. u r correct.channels will be added one by one from now onwards.what nagpal said is that,by the june-july next year, we will provide comprehensive channel packages to customers
this means,with in one year,they will provide more veriety of channels to consumers. Am I right ?

nnikki said:
Upgrading the boxes will give me more capacity for 12-14 channels. thats it ? iam expecting double channel count which we have now ?
I guess he is talking about per TP's

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock