Is Tata Sky HD is True HD????

Reaction score
Tata Sky HD is not True HD

Tata Sky HD is only providing 1080i HD signal. This is not true HD but only basic HD.

True HD is 1080p.

As of Now only Videocon D2H and Reliance Digital TV claim providing 1080p original hd.

Other DTH like Airtel, Dish TV, Sun Direct are providing just basic HD.

The reason they provide 1080i is it consumes less bandwidth compared to 1080p.

1080p vs. 1080i:

1080i, the former king of the HDTV hill, actually boasts an identical 1,920x1,080 resolution but conveys the images in an interlaced format (the i in 1080i). In a tube-based television, otherwise known as a CRT, 1080i sources get "painted" on the screen sequentially: the odd-numbered lines of resolution appear on your screen first, followed by the even-numbered lines--all within 1/30 of a second. Progressive-scan formats such as 480p, 720p, and 1080p convey all of the lines of resolution sequentially in a single pass, which makes for a smoother, cleaner image, especially with sports and other motion-intensive content. As opposed to tubes, microdisplays (DLP, LCoS, and LCD rear-projection) and other fixed-pixel TVs, including plasma and LCD flat-panel, are inherently progressive in nature, so when the incoming source is interlaced, as 1080i is, they convert it to progressive scan for display.

RE: Tata Sky HD is not True HD

bharatkumarchennai said:
Tata Sky HD is not True HD

Tata Sky HD is only providing 1080i HD signal. This is not true HD but only basic HD.

True HD is 1080p.

As of Now only Videocon D2H and Reliance Digital TV providing 1080p original hd.

Other DTH like Airtel, Dish TV, Sun Direct are providing just basic HD.

The reason they provide 1080i is it consumes less bandwidth compared to 1080p.

1080p vs. 1080i:

1080i, the former king of the HDTV hill, actually boasts an identical 1,920x1,080 resolution but conveys the images in an interlaced format (the i in 1080i). In a tube-based television, otherwise known as a CRT, 1080i sources get "painted" on the screen sequentially: the odd-numbered lines of resolution appear on your screen first, followed by the even-numbered lines--all within 1/30 of a second. Progressive-scan formats such as 480p, 720p, and 1080p convey all of the lines of resolution sequentially in a single pass, which makes for a smoother, cleaner image, especially with sports and other motion-intensive content. As opposed to tubes, microdisplays (DLP, LCoS, and LCD rear-projection) and other fixed-pixel TVs, including plasma and LCD flat-panel, are inherently progressive in nature, so when the incoming source is interlaced, as 1080i is, they convert it to progressive scan for display.

Good point.

But till date none of the HD channels telecast in 1080p in India. All of them (except the sports channels) telecast in 1080i. The sports channels telecast in 720p. Also HD is still a new technology and has a long way to go to get acceptance in a price conscious market like India. So while it is good to have a better technology in your kitty, right now, it makes no difference to your viewing experience.

For details about differences between 1080i & 1080p please see the following thread:
TV Buying Guide - Choose the right TV for yourself

But d2H and RDTV providing 1080p as of today as mentioned in website

Is it true?

Which Channel provide 1080p and 1080i?

bharatkumarchennai said:

Is it true?

No channel in india telecast at 1080p :no

Situation is that if we have to talk about just the quality of HD channels an end user gets in India is best in Tata Sky, (Airtel, and Dish TV as well (true HD channels only) ) and little inferior in D2H (very little)...to get real understanding of differences, one needs to have used all the DTH's for longer period of time as most of the time illusion works...and also to compare you need to check same channel on all at a time as there are many other factors which play role in giving you impression of good HD or bad HD feed...factors like what kind of scene is being shown, if nature related scene is compared with movie, it is not a fair comparison...also certain channels themselves are not having good feed quality, for example UTV Stars, Movies Now, Mtunes etc are not up to the mark...whereas if you see Discovery HD, Colors HD, Natgeo HD, Star Movies HD they are doing justice with their feed...

In the United States, 1080p over-the-air broadcasts still do not exist as of January 2013; all major networks use either 720p60 or 1080i60 encoded with MPEG-2. However, satellite services (e.g., DirecTV, XstreamHD and Dish Network) utilize the 1080p/24-30 format with MPEG-4 AVC/H.264 encoding for pay-per-view movies that are downloaded in advance via satellite or on-demand via broadband. At this time, no pay service channel such as USA, HDNET, etc. nor premium movie channel such as HBO, etc., stream their services live to their distributors (MVPD) in this format because many MVPDs, especially DBS and cable, do not have sufficient bandwidth to provide the format streaming live to their subscribers without negatively impacting their current services. In addition is the high "cost" of using more bandwidth for one 1080p/24 channel than that necessary for a 1080i or even a 720p channel and for only those relatively few subscribers who have HDTV devices that can display 1080p/24 being an efficient use of their limited bandwidth.

For material that originates from a progressive scanned 24 frame/s source (such as film), MPEG-2 lets the video be coded as 1080p24, irrespective of the final output format. These progressively-coded frames are tagged with metadata (literally, fields of the PICTURE header) instructing a decoder how to perform a 3:2 pulldown to interlace them. While the formal output of the MPEG-2 decoding process from such stations is 1080i60, the actual content is coded as 1080p24 and can be viewed as such (using a process known as inverse telecine) since no information is lost even when the broadcaster performs the 3:2 pulldown.[12]

Nice Information....1080P & 1080I

mmadhankumar said:
bharatkumarchennai said:

Is it true?

So D2H and RDTV are cheating subsribers and buyers?

videocon d2h is not cheating anyone, d2h hd and hd dvr stb's support 1080 p signals, all hd chs r relayed in 1080 i resolution and stb upscales it to 1080 p if ur tv supports 1080 p resolution

bharatkumarchennai said:
mmadhankumar said:
bharatkumarchennai said:

Is it true?

So D2H and RDTV are cheating subsribers and buyers?

No...they are mentioning about the compatibility of their STB...which is 1080p compatible (whenever available) also 3D compatible, 7.1 sound compatible etc.

Not sure for Tata Sky STB is also capable of 1080p, but what they are mentioning is 1080i can be viewed in tata sky as this is what is available...by the way d2h is clearly inferior to tata sky as far as quality of HD is concerned...whether it is sound or picture...

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock