• Thread starter mark2gp
  • Start date
  • Replies: Replies 67
  • Views: Views 6,031
Status
Not open for further replies.

mark2gp

Reaction score
Hi, most of the issues have been discussed elsewhere in the forum, but still can be confusing/outdated/discontinued at present.

#1.Can we operate internet apps without any dth balance?
#2.Are apps JioTv, Chrome, Kodi available in Play Store?
#3.Is side loading of these apps possible?
#4.4K/Atmos support now working for all major ott apps?
#5.Are usb hdd, remote kb/mouse, compatible with the box?
Many thanks in advance to those who take the time and trouble to provide the necessary info. 🙏

Last edited:
After 3 days of multiple follow ups, these are my options:-

Upgrade my existing hd stb to xstream @1499/-. Existing plan will continue, hotstar 899 plan for 1 year. You can place an order online or call airtel support @12150. (Only this number gets you to talk to an executive directly. All other options are callback)

New / Multi connection @1620/-. Inclusive of a 1 month regional (Kerala) pack; and Xstream OTT apps + Amazon Prime free for 3 months. If an addon, minimum monthly plan is at a discounted rate. On submitting a request via website, thanks app, whatsapp or IVR, you'll receive a call back. The purchase option (for me) on thanks app is bundled with a plan for 1899/-

P.S: Fresh/Multi connections and upgrade option are handled by different support teams. They'll either ask you to contact; OR get the other team to get in touch with you.
Most offers are bundled with region packs specific to your locality.
Xstream boxes are issued subject to availability at subscriber location. The CC hands over the details to their local partner who'll get in touch with u. For orders placed on phone, payment can be made to technician.
The offer of new connection @750/- is for normal hd stb, which in my region comes bundled with a month's pack for a total of 900+
The prices differ on website, thanks app etc. For eg. Website shows new hd box for 699+150, and an upgrade to Xstream @ 1999/-

Finally placed an upgrade order online @ 1499/- If you take into account the hotstar subscription, i am getting the android box for 600/-. Have opted for self installation. Hopefully this allows me to retain the older hd stb, if issues come up with the android box.

After 3 days of multiple follow ups, these are my options:-

Upgrade my existing hd stb to xstream @1499/-. Existing plan will continue, hotstar 899 plan for 1 year. You can place an order online or call airtel support @12150. (Only this number gets you to talk to an executive directly. All other options are callback)

New / Multi connection @1620/-. Inclusive of a 1 month regional (Kerala) pack; and Xstream OTT apps + Amazon Prime free for 3 months. If an addon, minimum monthly plan is at a discounted rate. On submitting a request via website, thanks app, whatsapp or IVR, you'll receive a call back. The purchase option (for me) on thanks app is bundled with a plan for 1899/-

P.S: Fresh/Multi connections and upgrade option are handled by different support teams. They'll either ask you to contact; OR get the other team to get in touch with you.
Most offers are bundled with region packs specific to your locality.
Xstream boxes are issued subject to availability at subscriber location. The CC hands over the details to their local partner who'll get in touch with u. For orders placed on phone, payment can be made to technician.
The offer of new connection @750/- is for normal hd stb, which in my region comes bundled with a month's pack for a total of 900+
The prices differ on website, thanks app etc. For eg. Website shows new hd box for 699+150, and an upgrade to Xstream @ 1999/-

Finally placed an upgrade order online @ 1499/- If you take into account the hotstar subscription, i am getting the android box for 600/-. Have opted for self installation. Hopefully this allows me to retain the older hd stb, if issues come up with the android box.

Retain Old HD STB?? Are You Kidding Me???

There's No Self Installation Also,

Unless You Give STB, They Won't Close Upgrade Work Order,,,,

Monday, 5th Dec 2022

07:48 :- Booked and paid Rs.1,499/- for an Xstream upgrade request on the Airtel Thanks App. During payment, the description on the payment page shows up as a recharge. The amount gets added to your current balance. I got a sms confirming the payment, with a confirmation of order to follow in 1 hour. However I did not receive any 2nd message.

chTUhjj.jpg

11:03 :- Called up Airtel CC (12150/121) wherein I was informed that no upgrade order was received at their end!! I then registered another xstream upgrade request and was promised delivery by EoD.

11:29 :- The local distributor called me up to get details of my address and current connection. Told me that since the technicians were out attending service calls, would get me a box delivered later in the day.

15:35 :- A technician delivered and set up the xstream box and collected the older HD STB.
He tried to persuade me to switch to Tata Binge citing problems with the current Airtel Connection. According to him, almost 80% of the newer v3 boxes are problematic and they had to make atleast 3 service calls on an average following a setup.
Realizing that I was a committed customer (for close to 10 years!) and had already paid for the box online, he gave up. (Later came to know that their agency had shifted to Tata Binge and were heavily promoting Binge boxes and connections.)

Even though the new box was set up, the activation was pending. The technician said that the local office would call me up in a short while to activate the connection, and left. Big Mistake!!!

MNjRd1D.jpg

The activation did not take place the same day at all. The box was unusable (both channels & apps) with error B003 – non activation on screen. Only a few ad channels 99,100,101 were working. I was able to connect to wifi, login to my google account etc, but could only update the remote control software.

17:35:- On following up with CC, they told me it was the local distributor’s responsibility to activate the new box. On getting in touch with the technician, he assured me that the local office would get in touch with me in this regard.

19:10:- However, nothing transpired and the technician stopped picking up my calls. On complaining to CC, they have assured me of follow up and a callback early next day.

GnvPhLK.jpg

Tuesday, 06 Dec 22

10:40:- On not receiving any callbacks and unable to get hold of the technician, I made a call to 12150, and got a automatic IVR response that services have been restored. It was ok now, but i need to check further to know if everything is working fine.

For activating the Hotstar offer, I was told to login to the app with my RTN.

From this upgrade and close to a decade long experience with ADTV, my take is that though it provides quality services and support, processes and ground level service are the pits. Even simple tasks are unnecessarily convoluted and the quality and attitude of the local technicians (atleast in my area) are very poor.

@mark2gp Distributor Making Deliberate Delay,,, No Doubt

After All Box Swapping Process Is Less Than A Minute Process,,,

If You're In TN Or KA I Can Help Immediately!

Monday, 5th Dec 2022

07:48 :- Booked and paid Rs.1,499/- for an Xstream upgrade request on the Airtel Thanks App. During payment, the description on the payment page shows up as a recharge. The amount gets added to your current balance. I got a sms confirming the payment, with a confirmation of order to follow in 1 hour. However I did not receive any 2nd message.

chTUhjj.jpg

11:03 :- Called up Airtel CC (12150/121) wherein I was informed that no upgrade order was received at their end!! I then registered another xstream upgrade request and was promised delivery by EoD.

11:29 :- The local distributor called me up to get details of my address and current connection. Told me that since the technicians were out attending service calls, would get me a box delivered later in the day.

15:35 :- A technician delivered and set up the xstream box and collected the older HD STB.
He tried to persuade me to switch to Tata Binge citing problems with the current Airtel Connection. According to him, almost 80% of the newer v3 boxes are problematic and they had to make atleast 3 service calls on an average following a setup.
Realizing that I was a committed customer (for close to 10 years!) and had already paid for the box online, he gave up. (Later came to know that their agency had shifted to Tata Binge and were heavily promoting Binge boxes and connections.)

Even though the new box was set up, the activation was pending. The technician said that the local office would call me up in a short while to activate the connection, and left. Big Mistake!!!

MNjRd1D.jpg

The activation did not take place the same day at all. The box was unusable (both channels & apps) with error B003 – non activation on screen. Only a few ad channels 99,100,101 were working. I was able to connect to wifi, login to my google account etc, but could only update the remote control software.

17:35:- On following up with CC, they told me it was the local distributor’s responsibility to activate the new box. On getting in touch with the technician, he assured me that the local office would get in touch with me in this regard.

19:10:- However, nothing transpired and the technician stopped picking up my calls. On complaining to CC, they have assured me of follow up and a callback early next day.

GnvPhLK.jpg

Tuesday, 06 Dec 22

10:40:- On not receiving any callbacks and unable to get hold of the technician, I made a call to 12150, and got a automatic IVR response that services have been restored. It was ok now, but i need to check further to know if everything is working fine.

For activating the Hotstar offer, I was told to login to the app with my RTN.

From this upgrade and close to a decade long experience with ADTV, my take is that though it provides quality services and support, processes and ground level service are the pits. Even simple tasks are unnecessarily convoluted and the quality and attitude of the local technicians (atleast in my area) are very poor.

Really comprehensive , detailed & nicely crafted summary of the sequence of events which you experienced while upgrading to Airtel XStream Smart Set Top Box.

Glad that your issue has finally been resolved. As i had stated earlier that one should not completely trust the view/suggestions of the dealers as their comments r often based on monetary benefits they r likely to get out a transaction/order, good that you cross checked information before taking a final decision.

It is true that Airtel Digital TV should focus more on fixing the dealer service support issues, i do not think there is an issue in their system or work process which has been formulated by Airtel but somewhere i feel dealers themselves tend to delay or make the process complex bcoz of various reasons. Still Airtel Digital TV needs to surely look into it. I request u to please share your feedback with senior officials at Airtel Digital TV so that going forward better on ground service can be provided to existing as well as new subscribers.

There r various self help options available on different service support points (Airtel App/Airtel Digital TV WhatsApp Official Account /Mail / IVR etc.) wherein u can fix many issue thru auto diagnosis system and if issue persists complaints r automatically raised or even u can do so manually. If there is a delay in addressing the issue just tweet to Airtel Presence Team , write a mail to nodal team or call Customer Care No. 12150 and request the executive to transfer ur call to their senior supervisor who are able to understand / resolve issues in a very short time period.

Awaiting to read ur review about ur experience of using Airtel XStream Box :)

i do not think there is an issue in their system or work process which has been formulated by Airtel

These are a few issues that I have experienced.

#1. Varying prices/offers across different touchpoints (eg. for Xstream upgrade)

1,499 on the thanks app
:-

n5TZjw3.jpg

1,999 on the website (Upgrade to Airtel TV, Upgrade to Airtel Digital TV HD Setup Box)

8qsyTJ4.png

1,620/- or above on calling up CC. (no recordings, you have to trust me)

#2. CC support/Order placement over phone

* For most offers, the only option to place an order is over the phone. And mostly we have to submit a request via app/site/chat and are given a callback.
* The said call might be at an inopportune time for us (For two days in a row, I got calls while on the road to work.) And they rarely try to get in touch more than once. Also even on attending the call, connection issues are aplenty (call drops, silence etc.)
* These calls require us to stay connected for some time before an exec is free. Meanwhile we have keep listening to how important our call is to the tune of the Airtel theme (once it was close to 3 min for me).
* There are separate teams for Upgrade and New/Addon Connections who are ignorant of each other's pricing/process. If we get a callback, it's mostly from a different team. While trying to place an upgrade request, I frequently received calls from the new unit sales team and once even from technical team looking to resolve issues. Then we are told to get in touch with the appropriate team as per our need.
* In addition, the CC exec will give you totally different rates and are ignorant of prices given in ads, website or the thanks app.

#3. (Over) Reliance on local partners.

* Customers have to deal with their assigned dealers (based on PIN) They do carry out a lot of manipulation at their end, and we are left to their mercy.
* On completion of service request, the confirmation code is now delivered on TV now, which makes it easier for the technician to close out. I think it earlier used to be via sms to the RTN, which allowed the customer more control.
* CC support is of no help in such instances, asking us to deal with the local personnel and only on repeated followup/escalation will they intervene.

I hope that ADTV takes note and addresses these issues.

These are a few issues that I have experienced.

#1. Varying prices/offers across different touchpoints (eg. for Xstream upgrade)

1,499 on the thanks app
:-

n5TZjw3.jpg

1,999 on the website (Upgrade to Airtel TV, Upgrade to Airtel Digital TV HD Setup Box)

8qsyTJ4.png

1,620/- or above on calling up CC. (no recordings, you have to trust me)

#2. CC support/Order placement over phone

* For most offers, the only option to place an order is over the phone. And mostly we have to submit a request via app/site/chat and are given a callback.
* The said call might be at an inopportune time for us (For two days in a row, I got calls while on the road to work.) And they rarely try to get in touch more than once. Also even on attending the call, connection issues are aplenty (call drops, silence etc.)
* These calls require us to stay connected for some time before an exec is free. Meanwhile we have keep listening to how important our call is to the tune of the Airtel theme (once it was close to 3 min for me).
* There are separate teams for Upgrade and New/Addon Connections who are ignorant of each other's pricing/process. If we get a callback, it's mostly from a different team. While trying to place an upgrade request, I frequently received calls from the new unit sales team and once even from technical team looking to resolve issues. Then we are told to get in touch with the appropriate team as per our need.
* In addition, the CC exec will give you totally different rates and are ignorant of prices given in ads, website or the thanks app.

#3. (Over) Reliance on local partners.

* Customers have to deal with their assigned dealers (based on PIN) They do carry out a lot of manipulation at their end, and we are left to their mercy.
* On completion of service request, the confirmation code is now delivered on TV now, which makes it easier for the technician to close out. I think it earlier used to be via sms to the RTN, which allowed the customer more control.
* CC support is of no help in such instances, asking us to deal with the local personnel and only on repeated followup/escalation will they intervene.

I hope that ADTV takes note and addresses these issues.

Buddy, i agree with u that there is definitely some inconsistency in information listed on certain modes which existing or new subscribers access to know about offers or various other things. I have already highlighted the same to senior people at Airtel Digital TV. Hopefully this will be rectified soon

About getting different offers while interacting with customer care desk as compared to what has been listed on app, website, etc..... This is bcoz there are certain exclusive offers which r provided only thru specific service touch points....also some existing customers even get more additional benefits incase their DTH Account is eligible for it.
For New Secondary Connection there is extra Rs. 500 discount applicable on buying HD/Stream boxes & this is applicable for all existing customers.

The other thing which u referred to about difference in overall upgrade/New Secondary Connection price quoted by customer care executive over call as compared what is listed on the App.... Well that is bcoz on App u will see see box price listed on main page but when u submit the request u are taken to payment page where additional discounts (if applicable) and mandatory 1 month pack subscription gets included in final price which u have to pay...Customer Care executive would be quoting this actual price to u.

About ur point regarding getting a callback at preferred time, surely on app there should be an option added for "Preferred CallBack Time" in the Upgrade/New Connection section. Also the second issue u highlighted about getting call from New Connection desk instead of Upgrade Offers desk is an issue which i also faced and same again need to be sorted out.... I think there is some issue in their app system which is not sending the request to correct team or some issue at the company which has been outsourced the work of handling these requests.

Airtel Digital TV surely needs to monitor the request competition process which is managed by dealers & make sure there r minimal delays or issues. There should be a dedicated service team looking into this else as u mentioned dealers often handle the request in a rather mismanaged way bcoz of various factors including looking at options which give them better commission.

Sure, now service completion code comes on TV which is a good step, i believe now they have also enabled a new option to make payment where amount paid directly gets credited in DTH Acc4of subscribers and after successful activation of the box same gets debited from account balance...helps in bringing more transparency in making payments and causes much less hassle to subscribers.

If u face any issues just share ur issue with Airtel Presence team on Twitter, i have noticed that they have complete knowledge about all things & they do follow up with concerned team to get the issue resolved at the earliest. Also u can all Airtel Digital TV customer care number and request the executive to transfer the call to their Senior Supervisor which again have access to all information and escalate the issue to concerned team to get it resolved asap.

Do keep sharing feedback with Airtel Digital TV (mail, airtel presence team, airtel senior supervisor) as it will surely help in improving on their shortcomings. Also do ask them to provide mail ID of the concerned person who is responsible for looking after all India service support/sales operations and share ur feedback with him/her too

Major Grievance:- When I contacted Airtel support for clearing up some technical issues following the upgrade to Xstream V3 box, their response was that such issues have to be tackled by the local technician and I’ll be charged Rs.150/- per visit. Their take is that though the box is under warranty, this could be an external issue and hence chargeable. :confused:

ybzgw6f.jpg

No updates available at present. :sick:

Curious that the bundled OTT apps (Prime Video, Netflix etc) are the latest version, but the system apps (Youtube, Google Search, Google Movies, YT Kids/Music etc) have to be updated. o_O

Overall picture quality is lower than my older HD box from 5 years ago. HD content (both channels and OTT) look ok, but SD channels appear washed out. The home screen interface is dark enough that thumbnails on home menu (movie icons etc) are not clear. :mad:

These are a few specific issues that I am facing. (have gone through the forum, couldn't find any solution)

# Loud sound on startup.
A few seconds after power-on, there is a loud buzzing sound that lasts for a second or so. Is this normal? This is quite loud to damage the speakers, if the volume was at a medium-high level prior to shutdown.

# Unstable sound.
At times, sound of some channels keep fading in and out. This gets ok if we change channels and return, but not always. In some cases we have to restart the box for the problem to go away.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock