Good Picture quality of SD channels in HD box

Did the SD channel picture quality improved in HD Box with HDMI connection than the old composite v

• Greatly improved

Votes: 20 46.5%
  • Small change

Votes: 8 18.6%
  • Cannot determine

Votes: 5 11.6%
  • No change

Votes: 3 7.0%
  • Poor quality

Votes: 7 16.3%

• Total voters
Thanks to all members posted under this thread :clap.Now the poll is moving well to give us a valuable result:tup.

@jerome: Thanks for creating the thread. I too wanted this discussion to come up after the series of questions about SD picture quality in the last few days. Sadly, I saw this thread just now and realized I missed the live discussion.

My personal experience, as I already stated in previous questions, SD channel quality is better on d2h HD set top box through HDMI. It might vary with other dth operators based on quality of signal if there isn't enough information for upscaling by STB. (No, HDMI cables dont have the super power to convert MP2 format to MP4)

It will be a good if people to also mention their dth operator so reach to a meaningful conclusion.

The off topic discussion on compression techniques simply reminds of a story we heard when we were Kids.

"Newton's Cat Door" which describes the foolishness of Newton who created a big opening for mamma cat and a smaller door for the kittens. (Pet door) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Though it was a cooked up story should fit in the current scenario nicely. Apparently, DishHD is totally locked with the idea that SD channels should use MP2, HD channels should use MP4 H264 (and Ultra HD should use MP4 H265). Well who is stopping us to use MP4 H265 for SD Channels? Man, this is a digital world. Bits can be manipulated in whatever way we want as long as we have an encoder and decoder be it in software / hardware.

Probably, this video about the Google's VP9 video codec explains the concept better. This is a project which Google is working on to drastically reduce amount of space consumed by ALL resolutions of their videos on disk and thereby amount of data transferred to the user's browser.

Three things to note:
1. Using the same bitrate (no of bits used for one second of video in this case) with different codecs, quality of H265 > H264 > MP2. With each improved codec more information is being stored in less number of bits.
2. An example 100GB video in MP2 can be compressed to probably < 50GB using MP4 H264 and < 25GB using H265 keepling the video quality the same. Huge saving of space. Using MP2 for ultra HD may sound foolish but perfectly logical. SD channels in H265, well same quality but twice as many number of channels.
3. Beyond certain limit (the original video recording quality) no matter how many bits we use the quality will remain the same. Simply wastage of space. Getting the right bitrate is the hardest problem to get the lowest size with highest quality.

Our friend here knows answers to all the questions but simply doesn't realize that most of the limitations are purely practical and not technical.

Last edited by a moderator:
if hd stbox and normal digital settop box both supports mpeg4,dvbs2
how sd channels have poor quality in normal stb, how sd channels in hd stb have great quality.
please explain me.

jerome5633 said:
One week ago I moved to HD STB 2222 with HDMI connection.sd channel pq greatly improved now on same tv than old sd box:tup.My tv is Sony Bravia 32 inch full hd led.Sd box connection was av cord composite video(not component).

composite video:normal av cord connection

We discussed the same through another thread but we need a poll from the users who experienced this ,since this is an interesting topic and many have questions :huh about this.

Personal experience is better than theory.:):clap

Vote on the poll who experienced this.:)

*Now a days many DTH customers are moving/planning from SD to HD upgrade
*The poll result will be useful for many of those who are planning from SD to HD upgrade
:k

Please post things related to the thread, otherwise no use for anybody.So that we will get a good result.

problem on hd 2222 remote problem

i have hd 2222 with recoriding. very good picture quality but remote channel changing button means plus button very hard not changing immediatly. we have press very hardly. and volume button also

Dear sir/madam

This is to inform you that d2h HD box installed(101724994) recently. Superb picutre quality and box looking very small and beautiful. But in remote channel changing plus button and volume button very hard. very pressure to press. otherwise ok. I have so many time observced that other regional channels added immediatelybut kannada channels not why.but kannada channels so many pending. please add following kannadachannels soon. Why janashri channel
removed?

GIRIDHARA said:
i have hd 2222 with recoriding. very good picture quality but remote channel changing button means plus button very hard not changing immediatly. we have press very hardly. and volume button also

Go to following thread...Many 2222 box remotes have same problem...replace it under warranty...the worst remote control I seen ever..

Replacement of 2222 box remote under one year warranty

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock