TRAI warns chennai MSO's for immediate termination of Analogue Cable! End of Arasu??

HOUSE-MD

Contributor
Reaction score
தமிழக அரசு கேபிள் "டிவி'க்கு "டிராய்' அமைப்பு எச்சரிக்கை.
===============================================​

"சென்னையில், டிஜிட்டல் முறையில் இல்லாத, "டிவி' ஒளிபரப்பை உடனடியாக நிறுத்த வேண்டும்; இல்லையேல், எதிர்விளைவுகளை சந்திக்க நேரிடும்,'' என, தொலைத்தொடர்பு ஒழுங்குமுறை ஆணையம் எச்சரித்துள்ளது. இதனால், சென்னையில் அரசு கேபிள் "டிவி' ஒளிபரப்பு நிறுத்தப்படும் என தெரிகிறது.

டில்லி, மும்பை, கோல்கட்டா, சென்னையில், 2012, நவ., 1 முதல், "டிவி' ஒளிபரப்பு டிஜிட்டல் மயமாக்கப்பட்டது. சென்னையில், தமிழக அரசி"ன் கேபிள் "டிவி' நிறுவனமும், பல சேனல்களை ஒளிபரப்பும் மையமான, எம்.எஸ்.ஓ., வேலையைத் துவங்கியது. இதற்காக, சென்னையில், கட்டுப்பாட்டு அறையை, முதல்வர் துவக்கினார். ஆனால், டிஜிட்டல் ஒளிபரப்பு செய்ய, தமிழக அரசுக்கு மத்திய ஒலிபரப்புத் துறை, அனுமதி வழங்கவில்லை. இது தொடர்பான வழக்கு, சென்னை உயர் நீதிமன்றத்தில் உள்ளது. இதனால், அரசு கேபிள் "டிவி' நிறுவனத்தின் ஒளிபரப்பு, டிஜிட்டல் முறையில் இல்லாமல், "அனலாக்' என்ற சாதாரண முறையில் மேற்கொள்ளப்படுகிறது. இதற்கிடையே, தனியார் எம்.எஸ்.ஓ.,கள் சிலர், டிஜிட்டல் ஒளிபரப்பு உரிமம் பெற்று, சேனல்கள் ஒளிபரப்பை செய்து வருகின்றனர். இந்நிலையில், சென்னை பெருநகரில், டிஜிட்டல் ஒளிபரப்பு திட்டம் அமலாக்கம் குறித்து ஆய்வு செய்ய, நேரடி ஒளிபரப்பாளர்கள், எம்.எஸ்.ஓ.,க்கள் மற்றும் கேபிள் ஆபரேட்டர்கள் கூட்டத்தை, "டிராய்' அமைப்பு டில்லியில் கூட்டியது.

கூட்டத்தில் எடுக்கப்பட்ட முடிவுகள் குறித்து, அதன் செயலர், ராஜிவ் அகர்வால் வெளியிட்டுள்ள அறிக்கை: "கேபிள் "டிவி' ஒளிபரப்பை, டிஜிட்டல் முறையில் ஒளிபரப்ப வேண்டும். 2012, நவ., 1க்குள், டில்லி, மும்பை, கோல்கட்டா, சென்னையில் டிஜிட்டல் ஒளிபரப்பை அமல் செய்ய வேண்டும்' என, பார்லியில் சட்டம் இயற்றப்பட்டது. தரமான ஒளிபரப்புக்கு உறுதி, நுகர்வோர் குறைதீர் மையம், கட்டண முறை ஆகியவற்றுக்கு இச்சட்டம் வழி வகை செய்கிறது. டில்லி, மும்பை, கோல்கட்டாவில், டிஜிட்டல் முறை அமலாக்கம் செவ்வனே நடந்துள்ளது. ஆனால், சென்னையில் இச்சட்டத்தை பின்பற்றாமல், டிஜிட்டல் முறை இல்லாத, ஒளிபரப்பு நடந்து வருகிறது. டிஜிட்டல் முறை இல்லாத ஒளிபரப்பை உடனடியாக நிறுத்த வேண்டும். டிஜிட்டல் முறையில், "டிவி' ஒளிபரப்பை, சென்னை நகரில் செய்யவில்லை எனில், "டிராய்' சட்டப்படி, அபராதம் விதிப்பது மற்றும் பிற எதிர்விளைவுகளை, எம்.எஸ்.ஓ.,க்கள் சந்திக்க நேரிடும். டிஜிட்டல் முறையில் தான், கேபிள் இணைப்பு பெறப்பட்டுள்ளது என்பதை, வாடிக்கையாளர்கள் தெரிவிக்க வேண்டும். இல்லையேல், எம்.எஸ்.ஓ.,க்களின் இணைப்பும் துணடிக்கப்படும். சட்ட விதிகளை மீறியதாக, எம்.எஸ்.ஓ.,க்கள் மீது, சட்ட நடவடிக்கையும் எடுக்கப்படும். இவ்வாறு, ராஜிவ் அகர்வால் கூறியுள்ளார்.

"டிராய்' அமைப்பின் இந்த அறிவிப்பால், டிஜிட்டல் உரிமம் பெறாமல், தமிழக அரசு கேபிள் "டிவி' நிறுவனம் இயங்குவது முற்றிலும் முடங்கும் நிலை ஏற்பட்டுள்ளது. இதுகுறித்து அரசு கேபிள் 'டிவி' வட்டாரங்கள் கூறுகையில், "டிஜிட்டல் உரிமம் வேண்டி, மத்திய அரசுக்கு விண்ணப்பித்துள்ளோம். டிஜிட்டல் உரிமம் வந்ததும், "செட்டாப்' பாக்ஸ்களை வழங்க, தயாராகவும் உள்ளோம். "டிஜிட்டல் உரிமம் வழங்க மத்திய அரசுக்கு உத்தரவிட வேண்டும்' என, தமிழக அரசு தொடர்ந்துள்ள வழக்கு, சென்னை உயர் நீதிமன்றத்தில் நிலைவையில் உள்ளது. எனவே, அரசு கேபிள் "டிவி' நிறுவனம் இயங்குவதில் சிக்கல் இல்லை' என்கின்றனர்.

அரசு கேபிள் "டிவி' நிறுவனத்துக்கு உரிமம் வழங்காதது ஏன்?

டிஜிட்டல் உரிமம் கேட்கும், தமிழக அரசின் விண்ணப்பத்தின் மீது, மத்திய ஒளிபரப்புத் துறை அமைச்சகம், இதுவரை நடவடிக்கை எடுக்கவில்லை. இதற்கான காரணத்தையும், மத்திய அரசு தெரிவிக்கவில்லை. தமிழகம் போல், கேரளா, குஜராத் போன்ற மாநிலங்களும், டிஜிட்டல் உரிமம் கேட்டு விண்ணப்பித்துள்ளன. ஒளிபரப்பு செய்யும் உரிமத்தை, மாநில அரசுகளுக்கு வழங்கினால், அரசியல் மாற்றங்களுக்கு ஏற்ப, மாநில அரசுகள், "டிவி' ஒளிபரப்பு தடை செய்யலாம். இதனால், "டிவி' ஒளிபரப்பின் கட்டுப்பாடு, மாநில அரசுகளுக்கு சென்றுவிடும். எனவே, மாநில அரசுகளுக்கு, ஒளிரப்பு உரிமத்தை அளிக்கக் கூடாது என்ற, கருத்து பரவலாக உள்ளது. தமிழக அரசுக்கு, டிஜிட்டல் உரிமம் வழங்க, மத்திய ஒலிபரப்புத் துறை முடிவெடுக்காமல் இருக்க, இதுவும் ஒரு காரணம் என, கூறப்படுகிறது.

Source: TRAI pulls up Chennai cable operators | தமிழக அரசு கேபிள் "டிவி'க்கு "டிராய்&#39...

==

DAS: The Chennai conundrum.
======================

MUMBAI: The country may have entered the third and fourth phases of digitisation, but one of the major metros, Chennai, seems to be lagging behind in the digitisation process from phase one onwards. However, it is time for them to buck up as the Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI) may soon start cracking the whip on broadcasters, MSOs and LCOs in Chennai if they fail to comply with the digital addressable system (DAS) or digitisation norms, leading to severe repercussions.

In a meeting organised on 9 December by the TRAI with the three stakeholders, the Regulator said that it has already notified the TV channels in Chennai that are still transmitting analogue signals. The deadline to implement DAS was 1 November 2012, but despite the entire framework such as interconnection, quality of service and consumer complaint redressal and tariff being in order, the stakeholders haven’t
really followed the process,TRAI reiterated.

One of the biggest hurdles in the implementation of digitisation is the dispute between the regulator, the information and broadcasting ministry and the Jayalalithaa-led Tamil Nadu government controlled Arasu Cable corporation that it should be given a DAS licence.

Arasu Cable, that delivers cable TV services to almost half the subscribers in the city, was revived in 2011 and rapidly grew under the alleged patronage of the Jayalalithaa government.

A TRAI consultation paper on monopoly in the cable TV sector released in June 2013 put it very aptly: "The Government of Tamil Nadu has incorporated Tamil Nadu Arasu Cable TV (TACTV) Corporation Ltd. on 02.09.2011 for distribution of cable TV in Tamil Nadu. It has taken over 27 Headends from the private MSOs. TACTV Corporation is providing cable TV services with most pay channels at a cost of Rs 70 per month to the public through local cable operators. Prior to this, another MSO, M/s KAL (Sumangali) Cable, which is a subsidiary of the Sun group, had dominance in
the cable TV services in Tamil Nadu. However, KAL Cable continues to be dominant in Chennai city, where TACTV has not been registered as an MSO under DAS. Interestingly, channels of the Sun group, an integrated player providing both broadcasting and distribution services, were not available on the TACTV network for quite some time."

TRAI had then made it clear that Central and State government ministries, departments, companies and undertakings should not be allowed to enter into the business of broadcasting or distribution of television channels.

The TRAI consultation paper had estimated that Tamil Nadu has 1.3 crore cable TV homes out of which 50 lakh are subscribers of Arasu. Other estimates are that Chennai has 38 lakh cable TV homes and seven lakh DTH homes. These estimates put Arasu's subscriber base at 14 to 15 lakh.

Recent reports claim that the dominant MSO had even ordered a large shipment of STBs in June this year, but has not gone ahead since it has not been issued a DAS licence. Since Arasu is still delivering analgoue signals, most other MSOs too have been tardy on switching over to DAS completely, fearing they would alienate their subscribers.

In the meeting that the regulator had with the MSOs on 9 December, it ordered them to stop analogue signals and implement complete digitisation. It directed the MSOs to get the Subscriber Management System (SMS) in place with details of customers including their choice of channels.

It also hurled another missive at broadcasters, clearly ordering them to provide their signals only to those MSOs that are registered for providing cable TV services through DAS. MSOs have been cautioned to ensure that only digital transmissions are provided through their network and Customer Application Forms (CAFs) are collected soon.

TRAI has stated that it will closely monitor the progress of digitisation in the city and will also consider taking strict action against those who do not follow the protocol.

Even customers have been advised to ensure that they receive cable TV connection only from operators supplying DAS signals or face a blackout of their TV screens.

TRAI has also urged them to duly fill the CAFs at the earliest and submit them to their local operators. If they fail to do so, MSOs will be compelled to cut off transmission of those consumers, failing which they may will be in breach of law.

In Chennai, out of the 38 lakh cable TV homes, only four lakh STBs have been seeded. This leaves nearly 34 lakh houses receiving analog signals.

Will cable TV operators, broadcasters, and MSOs change the status quo and possibly face the ire of the state? They have not dared to challenge its might for the past year or so. On one side is the telecom regulator which is glaring down on them; on the other there is the state government has made its intentions clear when it asked the centre that Arasu be given a DAS licence. A conundrum if there ever was one.

Will TRAI's current warning turn out to be just what it is?

==

Source: Indian Television Dot Com > Digital Edge > DAS: The Chennai conundrum

Then wat about SCV?
it is showing analog in chennai for last one year (from 1st nov 2012, when digitilization starts in chennai)
Is it TRAI won't ban SCV ?

Even if the analogue cable blackout happens i would definitely not move to DAS under the current conditions,

1: Double the cost and unwanted channels - While i need fewer than a dozen channels i don't find a suitable DAS pack and the minimum package is kept at Rs 250 (Rs 150 pack doesn't have a single English GEC which i would prefer having but several dozen other language channels that i don't need nor understand).

Suggestion: Bring back the Rs 100 basic pack and allow subscribers to choose the addon as per their choice.

2: Missing important channels - Several channels such as Puthiya Thalaimurai are missing during most times and cant move to an MSO who removes channels fearing competition for his own channels.

Suggestion: Add all popular channels and leave the choice to the public.

3: STB - Though i have to pay Rs 1300 for the STB i still don't own it and the price is just for the connection charge and if i move to another area under the same MSO then again i have to pay for the STB.

Suggestion: Sell STB's to the people with atleast 2 years warranty and future service guarantee so subscribers may take it to other areas when they shift or can sell it at half the cost with the LCO support to other new subscribers so we don't have to keep on paying unnecessarily in the name of connectivity charges.

sathishbabu4u said:
Then wat about SCV?
it is showing analog in chennai for last one year (from 1st nov 2012, when digitilization starts in chennai)
Is it TRAI won't ban SCV ?

This is a good question, but has TRAI ever asked about the missing channels, costly DAS package with unwanted channels, STB cost and service, monopolism in Chennai cable business etc?

All fate of Chennai people.

keeper said:
Hope no one files case in court again.

We people always have nothing but lots of HOPE's as who cares about the common man? :huh :huh

hope.jpg

HOUSE-MD said:
Even if the analogue cable blackout happens i would definitely not move to DAS under the current conditions,

1: Double the cost and unwanted channels - While i need fewer than a dozen channels i don't find a suitable DAS pack and the minimum package is kept at Rs 250 (Rs 150 pack doesn't have a single English GEC which i would prefer having but several dozen other language channels that i don't need nor understand).

Suggestion: Bring back the Rs 100 basic pack and allow subscribers to choose the addon as per their choice.

2: Missing important channels - Several channels such as Puthiya Thalaimurai are missing during most times and cant move to an MSO who removes channels fearing competition for his own channels.

Suggestion: Add all popular channels and leave the choice to the public.

3: STB - Though i have to pay Rs 1300 for the STB i still don't own it and the price is just for the connection charge and if i move to another area under the same MSO then again i have to pay for the STB.

Suggestion: Sell STB's to the people with atleast 2 years warranty and future service guarantee so subscribers may take it to other areas when they shift or can sell it at half the cost with the LCO support to other new subscribers so we don't have to keep on paying unnecessarily in the name of connectivity charges.

I believe you have to write this as a letter to TRAI.

Satvijay said:
I believe you have to write this as a letter to TRAI.

Sure, but will they really read nor reply?? What have they done to promote DAS in Chennai? We are still having CAS in Chennai and no change seems to be there... even at the slightest level... Will they at-least do some good this time or will stay with just posting some warnings, notices and wait another 1 year for another statement (like another popular MSO already claiming "we have already started in Chennai"... "today we will come"... "tomorrow we will come")?? :huh :huh,

but at-least here my fellow friends would read and comment and the respective MSO may also read and correct its stand and do what it has to do to take its Digital service to all the people. :k :k

Though the MSO wants to go DAS in Chennai why only 4 lakh people went DAS and still over 34 Lakh subscribers staying in analogue? :-/ :-/

Though most of them want to have English pay channels they are struck with analogue due to the given reasons, if the MSO can fix them definitely they will see a good progress in their DAS process. :tup :tup

Also Arasu can do the necessary and take real steps to reach-out to the people if it REALLY wants to serve the Chennai population.. no matter if it is DAS nor Analogue. :k :k

Here i think DDF can play a good role in helping the Chennai people. :clap :clap

There is also a Official press release in TRAI website about Chennai.

I think they are serious this time, they're also happened to mention to go Digital or face consequences, few times in their release.

This is the first time I have ever seen about chennai in their website.

Can't wait to see what consequences they mean. :D

keeper said:
There is also a Official press release in TRAI website about Chennai.

I think they are serious this time, they're also happened to mention to go Digital or face consequences, few times in their release.

This is the first time I have ever seen about chennai in their website.

Can't wait to see what consequences they mean. :D

If analogue in Chennai goes off by this weekend or at-least within a week then we can be sure that they are serious, else we can just assume that they just say something but don't mean anything. :huh :huh

Only time can tell us about the future of Chennai cable TV business. All fate. :wall :wall

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock