Discussion Tata Sky Picture Quality Issues On Few HD Channels

Status
Not open for further replies.
Basically, it looks to me like Tata Sky team doesn't want to acknowledge this issue. If they do, they have to change a lot of things which might affect the other channels quality. This was evident from the way the AP technical head spoke to me in his previous update (Post #489). And also, as there is no push from any other customers apart from me they don't feel pressure.

I have sent a strong email as a reply to their last email. See what I have sent below.

Hi,

That response doesn't resolve my issue does it? I know that there's no issue at broadcaster side because they provide same signal to every dth operator. And the issue I'm facing is specific to Tata Sky as stated earlier. This issue is not there in Airtel or Sun Direct. I have used both of them on same TV with same picture settings. The issue is at your side, not from the broadcaster or equipment. You guys seem to be compressing telugu HD channels intentionally to save space on the satellite. That is why I'm not facing this issue on other channels like Hindi HD or English HD! If you don't want to address this issue, please provide me your next level of escalation contact so that I can forward the issue to them. Is it Mr Nagpal that I need to address the email to? Please let me know the next steps as the issue is NOT resolved.

Regards,
Siva

I almost lost hope with their latest reply. I'm still following up. But at this point, we have to assume that most probably this issue will never be closed!

Does ADTV have same PQ on all its HD channels ??? If yes, how are they doing it without compressing much ???

Does ADTV have same PQ on all its HD channels ??? If yes, how are they doing it without compressing much ???
We can't say same, as the quality varies from broadcaster side. For example, Movies Now HD and other Times HD channels have poor quality on all platforms including Airtel and Sun Direct. However, per my experience, ADTV does provide what's being broadcast from the channel without doing anything in the middle for both PQ and AQ. This is the reason why the AQ on ADTV is superior to other DTH operators on HD channels! And in this particular case, all the channels that suffer from this issue on Tata Sky doesn't suffer the same issue on ADTV.

And regarding how they are doing it, though I'm not exactly sure on this, my guess is ADTV provides better quality for HD channels by compromising on the SD Channels PQ!

We can't say same, as the quality varies from broadcaster side. For example, Movies Now HD and other Times HD channels have poor quality on all platforms including Airtel and Sun Direct. However, per my experience, ADTV does provide what's being broadcast from the channel without doing anything in the middle for both PQ and AQ. This is the reason why the AQ on ADTV is superior to other DTH operators on HD channels! And in this particular case, all the channels that suffer from this issue on Tata Sky doesn't suffer the same issue on ADTV.

And regarding how they are doing it, though I'm not exactly sure on this, my guess is ADTV provides better quality for HD channels by compromising on the SD Channels PQ!

Does this compression have anything to do with how much SD/HD Channels are put in one TP ???

Does this compression have anything to do with how much SD/HD Channels are put in one TP ???
In one of the posts in this thread, @Rushil bro did a comparison of that count on a TP between ADTV and TS. The count was matching for both if I remember correctly. In fact, TS had more space allocated per channel if we took average space utilization. Since we don't exactly have the details of how much TP space is allocated per channel on a particular TP, we had to just do a total space allocated / total number of channels to get the average space allocated. This is where things get tricky. Though TS seems to have allocated more space per channel if we take the average, this can't exactly be true since we don't have the details of space allocation at channel level on TP, neither can we get that detail. So the assumption at this point is Tata Sky allocates more space on the TP for SD channels and ADTV allocates more space on the TP for HD channels hence the quality differences between SD and HD! I think this is more of a strategic decision from TS, considering the percentage of SD users is still very high compared to HD users! But Airtel doesn't seem to think so and prioritizes HD!

I can't help highlight the point that only South HD channels that too from Andhra Pradesh and Tamilnadu suffer from this problem. Rest of the HD channels are comparable to Airtel in terms of PQ. AQ is poor on most of them though. I really can't understand why there is low priority to these HD channels in terms of quality. Strange strategies from TS!!

In one of the posts in this thread, @Rushil bro did a comparison of that count on a TP between ADTV and TS. The count was matching for both if I remember correctly. In fact, TS had more space allocated per channel if we took average space utilization. Since we don't exactly have the details of how much TP space is allocated per channel on a particular TP, we had to just do a total space allocated / total number of channels to get the average space allocated. This is where things get tricky. Though TS seems to have allocated more space per channel if we take the average, this can't exactly be true since we don't have the details of space allocation at channel level on TP, neither can we get that detail. So the assumption at this point is Tata Sky allocates more space on the TP for SD channels and ADTV allocates more space on the TP for HD channels hence the quality differences between SD and HD! I think this is more of a strategic decision from TS, considering the percentage of SD users is still very high compared to HD users! But Airtel doesn't seem to think so and prioritizes HD!

I can't help highlight the point that only South HD channels that too from Andhra Pradesh and Tamilnadu suffer from this problem. Rest of the HD channels are comparable to Airtel in terms of PQ. AQ is poor on most of them though. I really can't understand why there is low priority to these HD channels in terms of quality. Strange strategies from TS!!

So the issue is only on south HD channels (Telugu and Tamil HD Channels) and all other HD channels are equal in PQ in comparison with ADTV.

TS uses Ericsson for their compression systems and they are the best. If TS has allocated more space for channels then the PQ of all its HD channels then they should be again top notch. How can only few channels have poor PQ if the allocation what we are assuming to be???

Do u have the link to Rushil Bros thread about space allocation

So the issue is only on south HD channels (Telugu and Tamil HD Channels) and all other HD channels are equal in PQ in comparison with ADTV.

TS uses Ericsson for their compression systems and they are the best. If TS has allocated more space for channels then the PQ of all its HD channels then they should be again top notch. How can only few channels have poor PQ if the allocation what we are assuming to be???

Do u have the link to Rushil Bros thread about space allocation

Yes, south HD channels (Telugu and Tamil HD) are unwatchable to me. Other HD channels are pretty good and are comparable to ADTV in PQ, however suffers from poor AQ due to fake Dolby Digital Plus upscaling! I don't understand what TS achieves by doing this to the audio!

That is what I don't get! It could be a technical issue which they are unable to identify on these particular TPs where all these telugu/tamil HD channels are present. If it isn't a technical issue, It's discrimination by Tata Sky to couple of regions in particular, which is very poor strategy in terms of business LOL!!

Here's the post by Rushil bro...

Discussion - Tata Sky Picture Quality Issues On Few HD Channels

Yes, south HD channels (Telugu and Tamil HD) are unwatchable to me. Other HD channels are pretty good and are comparable to ADTV in PQ, however suffers from poor AQ due to fake Dolby Digital Plus upscaling! I don't understand what TS achieves by doing this to the audio!

That is what I don't get! It could be a technical issue which they are unable to identify on these particular TPs where all these telugu/tamil HD channels are present. If it isn't a technical issue, It's discrimination by Tata Sky to couple of regions in particular, which is very poor strategy in terms of business LOL!!

Here's the post by Rushil bro...

Discussion - Tata Sky Picture Quality Issues On Few HD Channels

Does any TS users having DD+ setup, get DD+ in these HD channels which TS upscales the audio ???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock